Just a few questions, i am considering buying one/being bought one for christmas and was just wondering if you can slap on them, and if it sounds alright?

Also volume wise, what are non-electric ones like?
They're only worth getting if you can get some of the top line, otherwise they are crap, at least in the majority. Tacoma Thunderchief is one to look out for.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
^100%. And in the world of acoustics, the price of a Thunderchief is nowhere near the top of the line.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702867

Is a good recent discussion. Like Fitz and Sinan both said, you won't get a good one under 1000 USD. Even AEBs under the 700USD range are worth little more than decorative firewood.
Quote by sinan90
They're only worth getting if you can get some of the top line, otherwise they are crap, at least in the majority. Tacoma Thunderchief is one to look out for.

+1... IMHO, at least, they're more for aesthetic value than anything else. They do look damn sexy for that unplugged look.
Quote by shut_up_you_***
+1... IMHO, at least, they're more for aesthetic value than anything else. They do look damn sexy for that unplugged look.

Ironically enough, the best acoustic bass ever made is probably the ugliest.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
acoustic basses are mostly for folk or mexican music
from what ive messed with they all sound pretty bad w/o an amp
go electric
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by 14shadesofblue
acoustic basses are mostly for folk or mexican music
from what ive messed with they all sound pretty bad w/o an amp
go electric

Nah for Mariachi music you are looking at a guitarron--which can be heard in a band easily. Its fretless, huge and has really heavy strings. You need to have a bit of strength to play one, but they sound great. Ridiculously high action as well.

They were also the inspiration for Ernie Ball to develop the first ABG...
Quote by anarkee
Nah for Mariachi music you are looking at a guitarron--which can be heard in a band easily. Its fretless, huge and has really heavy strings. You need to have a bit of strength to play one, but they sound great. Ridiculously high action as well.

They were also the inspiration for Ernie Ball to develop the first ABG...

Yep, and like, oh, 5 notes of fretboard, and from what I understand to play it properly you always have to play octaves, and the tuning doesn't make much sense. But the action is sky high.

Anyone know anything about a bajo/baja sexto? I youtubed it, but it sounded more like a guitar than a bass (but apparently it's an octave lower than a guitar).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Yep, and like, oh, 5 notes of fretboard, and from what I understand to play it properly you always have to play octaves, and the tuning doesn't make much sense. But the action is sky high.

Anyone know anything about a bajo/baja sexto? I youtubed it, but it sounded more like a guitar than a bass (but apparently it's an octave lower than a guitar).

Fitz I could be wrong here, but I think its a 12 string guitar with odd tunings, with the bottom 3 string pairs tuned as octave and the upper 3 pairs in unison.

The bottom are played as "bass" with the upper as the melody or treble voice.
I'm sorry. I don't really see much point in buying an acoustic bass unless you just have a lot of money burning a whole in your pocket. I think that is money much better invested in a SWR stack or fretless fender jazz bass.

However, I did play a Takamine acoustic bass a couple years ago that went for about 500. It was easy to play, had balls tone, and volume wise it played well alongside my buddy who was playing a 12 string Alvarez. You might try out one of those.