so im in a jazz class playing rhythm guitar and im expected to know how to improvise over everything they give us but I am having trouble understanding the changes in this particular song.

the only changes i know are

bars 1-2 C dorian
bars 3-4 F dorian
bars 5-6 ???????
bars 7-8 C dorian
bars 9-12 Db major
bars 13-14 ???????
bars 15-17 ???????

i don't know what scales im supposed to use there. I think i remember the teacher saying the changes were how I separated them above but I'm not sure. your help is appreciated.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Well, the key signature has 3 flats, which means Eb major. From the chords, the implied mode or scale can be interpreted. Almost all of these chords are in the key of Cm (relative minor of Eb major), meaning you can play within the Cm scale and not be wrong throughout almost the entire piece.

The two chords that go out of key are the G7 and the Dbmaj7. The G7 contains a B, which is the maj7 of C. This will give it a very harmonic minor-ish sound. Since G7 is the V chord of C harmonic minor, you'd want to play G phrygian dominant. The Dbmaj7 contains Db, F, Ab, and C. You can play C phrygian over this chord because of the b2 and b6.

Otherwise, you can play any scale that fits the notes of the chord. You can play dorian, phrygian, aolian, minor pentatonic, blues, etc. For any minor chord. For the G7 instead of playing phrygian dominant, you could play mixolydian. For the Dbmaj7 you could play Db Ionian or Lydian, etc. You'd probably want to do this since it's jazz, and jazz allows you that kind of freedom in improvisation.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

The Eb-7 Ab7 Dbmaj7 changes out of the C minor base and goes to Db major. over those 3 chords you have Eb dorian, Ab mixolydian and Db ionian, if you stick to the scale of the I, since it is a ii-V-I.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
bar 4 has Bb if I remember (and I do, and I'm recalling the Real Book version).

so 3-4 is a ii-V in Eb.

D-G-C is a minor ii-V-I both places it appears.

As mentioned, the Eb-Ab-Db is a ii-V-I in Db.

play the ii-V-Is as ii-V-Is. have some fun with the more static C-minors if you like, although they aren't held much.
Quote by Nick_
bar 4 has Bb if I remember (and I do, and I'm recalling the Real Book version).

Only in 6th edition. 5th edition has the 2 bars of F-7
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
thanks guys, i've got it figured out now.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by sinan90
Only in 6th edition. 5th edition has the 2 bars of F-7

cool

so

play it both ways and decide which you like better

I love variety