Hey guys,

I was given a Cort ( www.cortguitar.com ) G 250 lefty as a gift, almost 2 years ago and I have a question regarding a hum I've noticed since day 1.

I know that the single coil and coil split positions will generate a natural hum due to the nature of single coils, but that is a separate issue.

The problem that I think is irregular occurs while the guitar is set to the humbucker position, as well as between single coils (ie position 5 or 2). The reason I think it may be a defect is because the hum goes away when i turn my tone knob all the way down.

ie, in this sound clip i have the tone knob and i am dialing it from one end to the other, while keeping the guitar as silent as possible. I have the amp cranked to amplify the effect I'm trying to show.

http://download.yousendit.com/7EBF91A40C9C39BB

This hum is unaffected by pickup selection, volume, patch cord, other items interfering in the room (CRT's, TV's).

So, the question is: is my tone pot bad?

I took the pickguard off the guitar, and there is a small bit of shielding done above the controls, but that is it. The ground seems properly connected (to the tremolo). Maybe a full shielding would decrease this? But, it seems to me that the pot is bad... It's a push-pull pot, 500k... How hard would it be to replace? (this would involve disconnecting the pickguard, i guess.

Thanks in advance!

PS: cort guitars are insane. really well finished, incredible quality control, and the best value for anything on the market. check them out.
Full shielding should fix it. With any guitar that has hum problems caused by insufficient grounding/shielding, rolling down the tone knob will always get rid of some of the hum.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by mkfx
Hey guys,

I was given a Cort ( www.cortguitar.com ) G 250 lefty as a gift, almost 2 years ago and I have a question regarding a hum I've noticed since day 1.

I know that the single coil and coil split positions will generate a natural hum due to the nature of single coils, but that is a separate issue.

The problem that I think is irregular occurs while the guitar is set to the humbucker position, as well as between single coils (ie position 5 or 2). The reason I think it may be a defect is because the hum goes away when i turn my tone knob all the way down.

ie, in this sound clip i have the tone knob and i am dialing it from one end to the other, while keeping the guitar as silent as possible. I have the amp cranked to amplify the effect I'm trying to show.

http://download.yousendit.com/7EBF91A40C9C39BB

This hum is unaffected by pickup selection, volume, patch cord, other items interfering in the room (CRT's, TV's).

So, the question is: is my tone pot bad?

I took the pickguard off the guitar, and there is a small bit of shielding done above the controls, but that is it. The ground seems properly connected (to the tremolo). Maybe a full shielding would decrease this? But, it seems to me that the pot is bad... It's a push-pull pot, 500k... How hard would it be to replace? (this would involve disconnecting the pickguard, i guess.

Thanks in advance!

PS: cort guitars are insane. really well finished, incredible quality control, and the best value for anything on the market. check them out.
If the hum isn't affected by volume, the problem isn't in the guitar. It's in the amp.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
haha well i guess i misspoke. the volume is before the output jack afaik, so it would affect it, but it doesn't have the same effect as the tone knob does edit: it's NOT the amp.

ECistheBest, is that some sort of copper foil?? if i were to do this myself, would i solder the ground onto that copper stuff instead of through the body onto the tremolo? lastly, do you cover the entire underside of the pickguard?

also, if i were to replace the pickups (i'm seriously considering it), would they need to be reverse wound? i'd like to get a nicer bridge pup at the least, because i find the stock one a little bright (although miles ahead of any squire or yamaha stock pup). a nice srv tone out of the single coils with a versatile rock/heavy rock (zeppelin, rise against, some heavier almost metalish bands as well) out of the bridge would be incredible... any suggestions?
Last edited by mkfx at Nov 2, 2007,
yes, no u connect the copper tape to ground while the tremolo stays connected to the tape, and yes.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
It sounds like you have a bad lead or you are using a speaker lead instead of a guitar lead. Try plugging it in with a different cable. Sheilding (like the guys suggested) should also help too. It aslo sounds like you you have something grounding out in your guitar where it shouldn't be grounding so if you do ad sheilding to your guitar that would be a great time to double check and make sure you don't have any stray wires in there.
Not taking any online orders.