Hey, I've been seriously playing guitar for roughly 4 months now. I got a P-O-S guitar a long time ago for Christmas, and I think that's why I got burned out. My instrument was crap, along with the amp, and everything else that came with it. I kinda gave up for a long time, but I revitalized my playing habit this summer after seeing a friend play some really good blues. I've never been a huge fan of the blues, but it showed me how good he had gotten, and how good I wanted to be. So I picked up old embarrassment again. but finally got a new, much better guitar. A Squier Standard Strat. The amp I got was a Spider 3, but I got suckered because I was dumb.

Basically, since about the beginning of this month, I've been stuck in a rut, burned out. I looked and asked around for a teacher, but there's no one around in this small town. I can't seem to focus on playing, I always get distracted by something else, and I put it down after 20-30 minutes, if even. Stupid ADHD. What am I supposed to do? I know about 6-7 songs roughly, but I can't seem to just sit down and practice. Work and School get in the way a lot too, and I'm never in the right mood after all that.

I mostly enjoy alternative rock, post-grunge, and some softer stuff too, like The Fray and Coldplay. Pearl Jam, Seether, The White Stripes, and Counting Crows are some of my favorites. However I mostly seem to listen to one or two albums at a time, and then go out and get something else after I get sick of those. I think that might be something, because I always look up tabs of new music, but slowly drift away.

Am I just not cut out for it?
Last edited by unoriginalmind at Nov 1, 2007,
It took forever for me to get out of this habit. There really isn't a quick fix, you just have to keep yourself motivated. Earlier today I read the best piece of advice ever: have a sheet of paper or a sign in your room that says something along the lines of "You're not a guitarist" or "You can't play guitar," if that doesn't motivate you to do something, I don't know what will (or you could make a wallpaper for your computer's desktop like I just did a few hours ago that says the same). However, you should make some small goals that you want to achieve and seriously think about why it is you want to play. I hope this helps
I think I want to play because it just makes me feel good. Makes me feel like I can do something special, that I've got an actual talent for once. And other people respect that. So I feel like it's the wrong reason sometimes, but I do enjoy it when I get real focused, when I get into it.
First, I think most of us on here will agree playing guitar is a passion. If you really want to play well, get determined and set your mind to it. If you're in a school that has one, join the Jazz band as a guitarist. I play guitar, bass, piano, and soon to be trombone in mine, and believe me. All of it helps you progress. Now depending on the genres you like, you have to learn songs from those. I love A7X, but for the longest time was not able to play their insane lead riffs and things from Waking the Fallen. I started out with a simple band Three Days Grace and slowly progressed upward from there, and now playing A7X is no problem, mind you, this wasn't a month or two. It's took a year to be able to do anything of theirs.
maybe play while watching tv or something?
I've spent countless hours doing chromatic scales in front of the tv.
Scales...I don't know. I was never good at repetition, plus it bores me within minutes. I get too easily distracted to watch TV while playing.
i always kept playing because of the thought of people loving and wanting something i have produced

and that is my favorite part of the guitar
listen to some different types of music. i am not bashing your choice of music. at all. but seether has rather uninspiring guitar lines. pearl jam is ok. but nothing to actually model your playing after. white stripes have recognizable riffs to an audience. but if you are playing for other people, you are doing it for the wrong reasons. counting crows will teach you to memorize basic chords, but won't help much past that.
you should listen to some more guitar oriented music. of course there are the essential 80's bands such as metallica, iron maiden, and guns n roses. not everybody likes that type of music, (out of the mentioned bands i only like metallica) but it would definately put a spark in your playing.
if you aren't into that stuff, try some joe satriani. some of his songs are playable to somebody whos been doing it for 4 months. and playing a satriani song will give you a big boost in self confidence. it is, after all, satch.
Quote by ElBarto2811
you can really egsagorate (how the hell do you write that word??) the motion.

guitars:
LTD EX-400BD
Ibanez RG220B w/Dimarzio Tone Zone & Air Norton
Fender Deluxe PowerHouse Strat

Amp:
Marshall MF350 half stack
I wouldn't consider I'm doing it for other people, though I do feel like it sometimes., and rarely do I have an audience, but I think I'll look at GNR and Satriani though, my friend is a GNR nut, so I might give it a listen. But sometimes Axl can be so obnoxious. Slash makes it worth it though.
I would suggest playing in a room with has no distractions. Just you, your guitar, your amp, and a metronome. Oh and since you can't find lessons try finding ones online. Youtube has alot of videos of free lessons. My favorite online teacher is Justin Sandercoe.
Thanks, this has helped. I guess I just wasn't challenging myself enough. Now I'm really focusing well on it. Sweet child O' mine is a good start for me, even if I won't be able to play the whole thing.
Quote by unoriginalmind
Thanks, this has helped. I guess I just wasn't challenging myself enough. Now I'm really focusing well on it. Sweet child O' mine is a good start for me, even if I won't be able to play the whole thing.

good to hear. you might wanna try playing some tool as well. some of their stuff may be a bit too challenging for you. you might not even like them. but learning stuff you dont like helps diversify your playing styles. check out their song 46 & 2. once you get it down, its fun as hell.
Quote by ElBarto2811
you can really egsagorate (how the hell do you write that word??) the motion.

guitars:
LTD EX-400BD
Ibanez RG220B w/Dimarzio Tone Zone & Air Norton
Fender Deluxe PowerHouse Strat

Amp:
Marshall MF350 half stack