Hey guys, I've come across another bump in my road of newbdom.

I began learning scales, and I came across some really different sets of scales. I currently learned the method below to do a C Major scale (which was in my book)

http://www.accessrock.com/BeginningLessons/open_guitar_scale.asp

And I then looked at this lesson on this site which is:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/c_major_scales.html

And now I'm confused why they are totally different? I know there are different ways to play the scale in the first method, but they all consist of the same number of notes and all sound the same. But when I played the one on the bottom, it is completely different, and has way more notes. Whats going on??

Thanks guys!

Sno
Here's the thing (sorry if it gets confusing you might have to read it a couple of times):

Try playing the fifth fret of the E string. Now try playing the A string open. Here any difference? You shouldn't. You see, notes often can be found at multiple locations upon the fretboard. Try this one: play the 10th fret of the E string, now try playing the D string open. Sounds exactly the same, doesn't it? The note locations may be different but they are indeed operating at the same pitch. Because of this, there are different ways to express a scale in tablature form. Besides, the Ultimate-Guitar lesson seems a bit advanced seeing as it mentions modes, for now, just ignore all the modes except for the Ionian (Major) and Aolean (Minor), once you know and understand them, work with the others. I hope this helps
those are modes

the 1st C scale you learned is the right one

after youve mastered Minor scales, look at the modes
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
Ignore the second one for the time being, it's actually pretty crap as a lesson...it isn't teaching you what it says it's teaching you, and what does attempt to teach it explains very badly and also incompletely.

Just bear these things in mind.

You CANNOT learn scales unless you know the notes on the fretboard.

Scales aren't shapes on the fretboard, they're a set pattern of intervals between notes and that's what's important...where you put your fingers is just incidental.

Every scale exists all over the fretboard, not just in one position.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Oh ok, thanks Seagull!!

So when someone says "play the xxxx scale", or someone says "I know how to play the xxxx scale", do they mean they know how to play the scale in like 10-20 different ways, or just one? I don't quite get how that works.
To be honest when most people say they "know the scale" they often only know the scale shape in one position and often don't know the notes.

For the most part a scale is a 7 note pattern that spans a single octave, when you go past the 7th the scale will just repeat from the octave of the root note. Now, because of the nature of the guitar the same notes are repeated so you can play the scale all over the place which can confuse matters a little.

On a piano, for example, there is only ONE middle C, there are other C notes but they're all an octave or more higher or lower. Compare this with the open D string on the guitar. That exact same note also appears on the 5th fret of the A string and the 10th fret of the low E.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Oh ok.

Thanks a bunch for the help. I've realized that a scale is a group of notes, and you can play those notes anywhere on the fretboard, which means there isn't just one certain to play a scale. It just kinda threw me off when people would say they know how to play a scale. After I found out how scales work, I was like "so does that mean that guy knows how to play xxx scale in like 30 different ways??" Haha, but I guess that's not always true.

So in my first post, the first link provided me with a method to play the C Major scale in the first position. It also taught me that same one in my book I'm learning for the same scale. Are scales in _____ position the most common, or the first way to learn a scale? Or does everybody learn a scale in a different way, and there is no "standard"?
The easiest way to introduce yourself to a scale on the guitar is usually to learn it with the root on the low E string, in my opinion anyway. It's an easy way to get used to the sound of it, so you'll know if it's wrong when you play it elsewhere.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc