how do u go about buying new pickups? how will u know what they sound like in YOUR guitar? cuz 1000 sound clips on the internet wont tell what they will sound like in your guitar right? i dont know which pickups to get
well, if your a beginner, id suggest that you dont worry about putting new pickups in a guitar..if you wanted to do that
well, i guess they would vary in sounds by the wood...but not by that much...its the pickup that creats more sound and the wood gives the sound...idk wat to call it
if you buy good pickups, your guitatr will prolly sound better...but idk wat to call w/e the wood does
online shops. www.thomann.de - they do dimarzio's, seymour duncans and emgs. on the down side, theyre in germany, but they ship newhere. gud site.

and your right, clips on the internet arent all that good a plan. the speakers in ur comp like everyone elses are probably cheap meaning you dont really get the sound quality. u cud always get the same pickups as someone you like the tone of. however be warned, just because it sounds good when they use them doesn't mean it will for you. if your a bad player, the best pickups wont help.

my first guitar had a duncan jazz and a duncan jb in it. both good pickups, but i couldn't play. i decided that they were broken because they should sound good but didn't. wasn't true. also, if youve got a rubbish amp, switch that first.
Last edited by CobenBlack at Nov 1, 2007,
Quote by berysLTD_h-50
well, if your a beginner, id suggest that you dont worry about putting new pickups in a guitar..if you wanted to do that
well, i guess they would vary in sounds by the wood...but not by that much...its the pickup that creats more sound and the wood gives the sound...idk wat to call it
if you buy good pickups, your guitatr will prolly sound better...but idk wat to call w/e the wood does

tone depth
listen to a les paul then an explorer then an sg with the same gibson pickups in it you will see i have a gibson humbucker in my knockoff strat it did wonders for the sound
but i kept the high end tone get it?
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

Look at the specs off the pickup and try a guitar with similar pickups. But it won't make a huge difference to the sound off your guitar.
I Like Cake
Quote by berysLTD_h-50

The wood does matter, though in the end you could say its more of the pickup than the actual wood. The wood does change out the pickup will sound (slightly to dramticly). It also pertains to how strong the guitar is to any attacks (yes: attacks), how heavy, how comfortable (maybe?).

But the way to pick a good set of pups is just to narrow down what your looking for. Do you want a clean sound? or maybe you want a raw, punchy, kinda out there sounding pickup. It's all about narrowing it down to a few then trying them out to see which one you like the best.
You have to have damn good ears and be able to hear the tone you want in your head. You also have to know enough about gear to roughly tell what part the pickup is playing in the tone that's coming from the amp. The differences between pickups are often very subtle and ideally you want to be able to quantify them in order to make an informed decision.

When I hear a guitar tone I can almost see it...the sound sort of gives me a picture of the EQ curve in my head, it's not quite colours but it's similar. I roughly hear which frequencies are prominent and which ones are less so.

To be able to choose pickups properly, or even get good advice on them, you need to be able to describe the sound you want in terms of the tone itself...if you have to resort to referencing bands or genres then you aren't really ready to buy pickups.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com