this isn't a rant against distorted shred (i quite like it) my thing is, why get a distortion pedal if you can just turn up the gain on your amp? isn't it essentially the same? i dont own a distortion pedal because i wanted to get good before i started playing with loads of effects but now i think im ready for one, if there is a point to it. so, distortion pedals - why?
Because some amps simply don't have enough gain on tap for there users, or the built in amp distortion sounds bad (my case). the only reason you would need one is if you can't get the sound you want as it is, I.E. my amp does not have good overdrive built in, therefore i own 2 OD pedals. OD pedals are for tube amps where distorstion pedals are for solid state.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Because if you want different tones of gain, or simply higher gain,an overdrive pedal or a distortion pedal is the way to go.
some amps dont have the amount of distortion that people desire. I don't own a distortion pedal, the gain on my amp can suffice.
Quote by CobenBlack
this isn't a rant against distorted shred (i quite like it) my thing is, why get a distortion pedal if you can just turn up the gain on your amp? isn't it essentially the same? i dont own a distortion pedal because i wanted to get good before i started playing with loads of effects but now i think im ready for one, if there is a point to it. so, distortion pedals - why?

If you have a tube amp then I highly recommend the Ibanez TS-9 tubescreamer. ( its an overdrive pedal).
r u completely naive havent you ever heard of the perfect tone to some players there is no such thing as enough distortion