Play them at a store, that's your best bet. I would personally go with the Ibanez though.

What you really need to do is go to your local store, and play both as much as you can.

As for sound, the Ibanez is active but the Fender is passive. This means that the Ibanez will get a lot more tones out of it, while the Fender will be somewhat limited... however, the one small range of tones it may get could be perfect for you, which is why you need to play them.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Last edited by gywo copta at Nov 1, 2007,
depends on your style man, if you play heavier stuff id definetly go for the ibanez, but if your into rock and alternative id go for the fender, but i think the ibanez is a better bass

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Play the right handed one. At least you can figure out how it'll sound like that, and you can probably get a general feel for it.

neck wise, they're both really thin. In my opinion, jazz necks feel a little bit "too thin" but obviously people love them.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Quote by GiantRaven
I can't play them at the store

No store around has any left handed bass range

The basses tonally are different and you will notice a difference in the necks as well. Ibanez's have very slim, quick necks, which I personally love, but some others see as a minus.

Being married to a lefty, I understand your challenge here. My recommendation would be to find at least a right handed model of each and try them out for sound / tonal quality and to be able to get at least a "feel " for the necks and body. This should give you at least a good basis to make a pre-sales evaluation to order from.
Whats the difference between the pickups on the Ibanez bass and a J/P setup (on my current bass, also an Ibanez)?

I'll have to go to a shop sometime soon then
both are good choices. between these two, i'm picking the Ibanez. i like passive p-ups, and i play a Fender Jazz by choice, but that Ibanez has alot of cool upgrades.
i endorse Ibanez basses under $400(us) because their necks, to me, feel very Jazz like. i would choose the Ibanez until you can afford the MIA Jazz.
I would go with the J-bass...

Personal preference, nothing else really comes into account for me.

I agree with 83lespaulstudio though.
Quote by gywo copta
Play them at a store, that's your best bet. I would personally go with the Ibanez though.

What you really need to do is go to your local store, and play both as much as you can.

As for sound, the Ibanez is active but the Fender is passive. This means that the Ibanez will get a lot more tones out of it, while the Fender will be somewhat limited... however, the one small range of tones it may get could be perfect for you, which is why you need to play them.

Fender Jazz Bass! Limited! Bah!
Quote by Captain Insano
Fender Jazz Bass! Limited! Bah!

I was thinking the very same thing, I just bought a standard jazz a few months ago and the main reason I bought it was it's versitliy for a relatively cheap passive bass. The jazz's tone (when coupled with a worthy amp mind you, it's sound potential is greatly diminished without a good amp) often compares with those of basses worth a couple hundred pounds more, so if you're looking for versatility don't think the jazz looses just because it's passive.

Mght be a little biased since I've never gotten used to Ibanezs and I've been in love with jazzes since I started playing..
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
I would say the Ibanez, mainly because every Sgr I have played I have loved, though I havn't played a J-Bass. I agree with anarkee, just go in the store and hold some right handed version, so if you like the sound etc, without needing to do anything to fancy.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!