Poll: Are drug tests beneficial to an employer?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are drug tests beneficial to an employer?
YES, necessary
13 41%
NO, waste of time and money
19 59%
Voters: 32.
It's occured to me that a lot of places, like NASA for example, or even some construction companies actually test hair samples these days. HAIR SAMPLES?! over the top maybe.. so here's the question:
What do you think of drug tests for employees? Are the necessary sometimes and accomplish something, or a complete waste of time and resources?

I honestly think they are one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of. Who cares what you do in your spare time if you're not inhibited by it while you're working, and it's not a serious threat to your health. Especially marijuana. I mean honestly now.... what kind of ignorant person can really tell me that getting stoned and listening to pink floyd on your couch on a saturday afternoon is detrimental to the company?
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
To say that drugs don't inhibit people while working is ignorant and uninformed.

There's more drugs out there than weed you know.
I think drugs are a waste of time anyway so test all you want. I do see your point about them not caring what you do in your spare time but I mean still, if they would arrest half the people found to have this that and the other thing in their hair, we would have a lot less drugs going around.

Or maybe I'm just a young kid with an incorrect view of the world.
The 2 occupations you named involve lots of danger, and human lives are on the line.
epic7734
Quote by zepledfan413
I think drugs are a waste of time anyway so test all you want. I do see your point about them not caring what you do in your spare time but I mean still, if they would arrest half the people found to have this that and the other thing in their hair, we would have a lot less drugs going around.

Or maybe I'm just a young kid with an incorrect view of the world.

This of course, assumes the viewpoint that drugs automatically = bad.
Oh Shit!
As long as they aren't intoxicated on the job it really shouldn't matter, it is getting rid of potentially good employee's just because they want to do drugs on their free time. IMO it is nonsense.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
To say that drugs don't inhibit people while working is ignorant and uninformed.

There's more drugs out there than weed you know.

oh I'm very informed. I've taken a lot of classes on not only chemistry of the drugs but their physiological effects and social implications. I just used weed as an example because if nothing else, it should be removed from the list of illicit substances tested for. drugs are illegal but US government as we all know doesn't always make intelligent decisions, and I don't use it as a moral compass.
I love my...

Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
How is the majority saying drug test are a waste of time? What the hell is wrong with the majority of people?
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by Guitarislife125
How does it give the company a bad name?

What do you mean by hurt them?

Personally if I found out a hospitol or whatever hired crack addicts I wouldn't really want to be treated there
Quote by Guitarislife125
How does it give the company a bad name?

What do you mean by hurt them?

Do you really have ask?
Quote by tasty licks
It's occured to me that a lot of places, like NASA for example, or even some construction companies actually test hair samples these days. HAIR SAMPLES?! over the top maybe.. so here's the question:
What do you think of drug tests for employees? Are the necessary sometimes and accomplish something, or a complete waste of time and resources?

I honestly think they are one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of. Who cares what you do in your spare time if you're not inhibited by it while you're working, and it's not a serious threat to your health. Especially marijuana. I mean honestly now.... what kind of ignorant person can really tell me that getting stoned and listening to pink floyd on your couch on a saturday afternoon is detrimental to the company?

I think it has more to do with the fact that it's illegal. The big companies probably do believe that drug use can and will affect performance, and depending upon the specific job, it very well could be. Most of the smaller jobs couldn't really be affected by drug use, but they aim to have as little risk as possible with employees. Even if someone who, as you said, smokes marijuana and listens to Pink Floyd on their couch wouldn't come into work under the influence, but even if there was only a 1% chance he'd come into work stoned, that's 1% more of a chance than someone who doesn't do drugs at all. Stupid? Probably, but if you want to start talking about the inefficiency in society, you could pick a bigger target than employee drug testing. Personally, I think drug tests are great, wonderful things. I've never done a drug in my life, so it's not a worry of mine, and it weeds out competition for jobs. (No pun intended.) On a related note, I just took my drug test today for my new job.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...
Quote by tasty licks
I mean honestly now.... what kind of ignorant person can really tell me that getting stoned and listening to pink floyd on your couch on a saturday afternoon is detrimental to the company?

Are you aware that if an employee gets caught smoking weed on the job that the entire company can get shut down because of it? That little grocery store on the corner or a big important building, both could disappear overnight because some worthless jack-off decided he could get away with lighting up in the bathroom on his lunch break. If you were an employer would you take that risk?
thats why I specified "on your couch" as opposed to "on the break room couch" lol. drugs ON THE JOB are definitely bad. no argument there. dangerous as hell
I love my...

Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Quote by tasty licks
thats why I specified "on your couch" as opposed to "on the break room couch" lol. drugs ON THE JOB are definitely bad. no argument there. dangerous as hell

Well then I guess you just answered your own question. If someone does drugs you don't know when and where they'll do it. It could be at your company. But if someone doesn't do drugs then you don't need to worry about that possibility happening.

I mean, would you have unprotected sex with someone if you didn't know if they were with other guys before or not? Even if they were they probably don't have AIDS, but there's the chance they could.
well there you're assuming that drug users are especially untrustworthy. I would NEVER EVER operate machinery or attempt anything dangerous under the influence that put others at risk. As much as you can trust that a doctor won't come into the hospital drunk off his ass, you can trust that he wouldn't come in high.
I love my...

Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Quote by tasty licks
well there you're assuming that drug users are especially untrustworthy. I would NEVER EVER operate machinery or attempt anything dangerous under the influence that put others at risk. As much as you can trust that a doctor won't come into the hospital drunk off his ass, you can trust that he wouldn't come in high.

Then why do people drink and drive? I know that doctors have...