To mod my guitar and add in coil tap, what do I need to do? I've got an Epi LP Special II, and I'd love to have the ability to get a single coil sound out of it as well as the amazing tone I already get. I'm assuming new pups are necessary, at the very least. What else do I need?
if you still have the stock pickup then it'll more than likely have to be changed and a push pull volume pot.
you can go to seymour duncan's site, they have every type of wiring schematic you could ever need.
I assume you mean coil split. Coil tapping involves cutting the coil at a certain point and wiring a switch so that the extra section can be switched on/off.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by godisasniper
I figured as much...So coil split allows for use as a single coil or humbucker?

Yes, a coil split allows you to split a humbucker, allowing for a single coil like sound.
I've always found it to sound thin, and prefer wiring a humbucker in series to get a brighter sound.

But yes, you will need an aftermarket humbucker with 4 wires...as Epi pickups are only 2 wire pickups.
I installed DPDT (on,on,on) on my bridge pickup, sounds great to me, i use it as a humbucker if im using distortion, but for cleans i use iether of the other 2 settings (paralell, split) paralell is like 2 single coils and split is just the one closest to the bridge... much moar highs... makes my custum strat sound kindof like it did before i installed two humbuckers...
Parallel wiring is really cool. But u have to have 2 humbuckers to do it. Leave the pots the way u have em. Maybe try and route a new hole over one of the pots for a mini-switch that u can wire to have a coil-tap/normal/parallel. Makes ur cleans as thin or fat as u want em, and can make ur distortion in Parallel mode sound really full and fat without being muddy. Otherwise, I would wait and get a new guitar honestly. LP Special IIs can only sound so good, as its made of plywood, and plywood cant sound too great.
Quote by qotsa1998
Parallel wiring is really cool. But u have to have 2 humbuckers to do it. Leave the pots the way u have em. Maybe try and route a new hole over one of the pots for a mini-switch that u can wire to have a coil-tap/normal/parallel. Makes ur cleans as thin or fat as u want em, and can make ur distortion in Parallel mode sound really full and fat without being muddy. Otherwise, I would wait and get a new guitar honestly. LP Special IIs can only sound so good, as its made of plywood, and plywood cant sound too great.

...What?

2 pickups in the middle position of a 3 way switch are ALREADY wired in parallel. You'd install a series/parallel switch for that position (as opposed to using it on just one humbucker, to put it in parallel with itself) to put the two humbuckers in SERIES with each other.

Do you actually know about anything you talk about? I always see you giving generic or slightly wrong information.
Still, it gets massive sustain, plays great, and has good tone, even through my little solid state amp I use (more as a speaker since I have a POD).
Quote by godisasniper
Still, it gets massive sustain, plays great, and has good tone, even through my little solid state amp I use (more as a speaker since I have a POD).

Well, they sound okay. A friend of mine has one, and his sustains okay. Though, if you haven't tried many high end guitars, it's hard to say the LP Special has massive sustain. No offense.
I have tried some really high end stuff, and I still say mine has amazing sustain, by far the most for anything with a bolt on neck I've ever played.