after many times goin back and forth in my head, i decided to be unique and become a bassist, only now i need a bass. I'm looking for one that is good for a beginner, plays well and doesnt cost too much. I've also heard i should teach myself basic technique and using my fingers w/ basic notes before i get lessons. At first I thought of getting a fender standard precision but it seems on the higher end side to buy as a beginner. i was also recommended the esp b-50 which looks like a good bass and has a low price. also, could u guys help me out in picking a good practice amp at a low price.
thanks beforehand
Quote by san21893
after many times goin back and forth in my head, i decided to be unique and become a bassist, only now i need a bass. I'm looking for one that is good for a beginner, plays well and doesnt cost too much. I've also heard i should teach myself basic technique and using my fingers w/ basic notes before i get lessons. At first I thought of getting a fender standard precision but it seems on the higher end side to buy as a beginner. i was also recommended the esp b-50 which looks like a good bass and has a low price. also, could u guys help me out in picking a good practice amp at a low price.
thanks beforehand

Grab a beginner pack, comes with everything you need. I like zzounds.com

The Fasttrack books are pretty easy to use and they come with CDs to play along with.

I started with an old Korean made Squier (still plays great) and a Peavey Microbass amp.
^^^payin 350 is out of my budget
i would go for a beginner pack but i've heard the esp b50 is alot better than what you get in a beginner pack and i dont mind paying a lil extra for that
Don't limit yourself to "beginner" basses. Spend what you're willing to spend, and don't base anything on your current talent, as long as you KNOW you'll keep playing. That said, you don't need a super awesome amp though, but the bass itself is a different story in my opinion.

That said, a standard Pbass would be fine, and I'd suggest spending around that much for your first bass as long as you'll know you'll keep it (and use it) for awhile. Although, I'd suggest a jazz bass over a precision bass.

But overall, I think Ibanez gives you the most bass for the least amount of money.

As for an amp, I practice on some 30w Peavey. It's alright, but I wouldn't buy it again. Check into Fender amps.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Squier, Ibanez, Yamaha all make decent starter packs. It also depends on your budget as well. How much money do you want to spend? Fender, Peavey and Hartke make solid practice amps (lower wattage). Avoid Kustom KBA10s; there's a good reason their dirt cheap.

On the books, I have the Fast track book. I wouldn't recommend it. The best book, if you want to teach yourself is going to be the Hal Leonard Bass Method combo I - III book. And look into lessons; as a new student, a good teacher is going to expect you to come in with somewhat of a blank slate when it comes to bass, and by starting off with a teacher, you won't have to unlearn bad habits you pick up trying to teach yourself.
Quote by gywo copta
Don't limit yourself to "beginner" basses. Spend what you're willing to spend, and don't base anything on your current talent, as long as you KNOW you'll keep playing. That said, you don't need a super awesome amp though, but the bass itself is a different story in my opinion.

That said, a standard Pbass would be fine, and I'd suggest spending around that much for your first bass as long as you'll know you'll keep it (and use it) for awhile. Although, I'd suggest a jazz bass over a precision bass.

But overall, I think Ibanez gives you the most bass for the least amount of money.

As for an amp, I practice on some 30w Peavey. It's alright, but I wouldn't buy it again. Check into Fender amps.

I'm not completely sure I'll stay with it, it would be awesome to. If i do stay with it by the time I realize that, I'd have enough money saved up to move further up and get a better bass. Oh and btw I'm 14 and am paying for this myself so I'm trying to stay fairly low on price also. Any reviews on the esp itself? I've heard good about them so I'm interested in the b50.
yeah...thats wat i did when i bought the 350 one...i knew it would last me years...and i knew i would play long...cause i love piano and music...i never even looked at a begginer pack...cause when u get good ull have to buy a new one...and it would be a wasted 100 dollars
for a beginner look at the Ibanez GSR 200, most bang for the buck.
now, Welcome to UG Bass. if you take the time to read the other 50 threads asking this same question, you will learn alot. around here, you need to read the exsisting
threads, first. if that doesn't answer your specific question, post a thread.
welcome aboard' arrr...

Beware: these waters are full of Pirates.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Nov 1, 2007,
Quote by san21893
i decided to be unique and become a bassist

I believe the term you're looking for is "avant garde"

Personally i'd get a squire vintage jazz.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )