I've been playing for about 2 months now, I got lessons and I have one a week for about 7 weeks now. I can do a few scales and a few simple songs that my teacher has given me. However whenever I try to learn a tab, everything I play sounds nothing like the song, even after I practice. I have an acoustic and electric guitar, and songs dont sound right on either of them. THey are both tuned, and I think its cause I suck. help?
Suckiness is a definition of charector, and how you paly defines who yo uare in this musical world. Your songs probably sound like that because they were innappropriately brought into this world by amateur tabbists who decided to write the tabs, as we call it, "For The Lulz". Just look for a more popular song and see if it sounds alright. If it doesn't, then something may be wrong with your playing style.

Either that, or your guitar has AIDS.
(/sarcasm)
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Maybe its not you that sucks, but maybe its the tab you're reading possibly. When you look at the list of tabs for a particular song, you'll see a rating next to it. 1 to 5, 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest. Go for the highest rated tab. Or maybe the songs you're trying to learn are out of your skill level. Also try working on you're timing. Using a metronome improves that.
1. buy a metronome, that may be the problem
2. try to play along with the songs
3. find a new teacher, it might be his teaching approach.
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
im completely self taught. i do fine. time and effort is all that matters. practice the same things for hours on end, then try something new, and practice that for hours on end. youll be good in no time :]
Quote by superlaxstar112
I've been playing for about 2 months now, I got lessons and I have one a week for about 7 weeks now. I can do a few scales and a few simple songs that my teacher has given me. However whenever I try to learn a tab, everything I play sounds nothing like the song, even after I practice. I have an acoustic and electric guitar, and songs dont sound right on either of them. THey are both tuned, and I think its cause I suck. help?

when i started learning i was extremely lucky at 2 months (cuz i sucked) to be able to play this. just practice and you'll improve like i did. now im able to play more difficult songs

|-0-0-1-1-3-3-1-1-0-0-1-1-3-3-0-1-3-|
|---------------------------------------------|
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I tried learning the correct way to play the solo for Shook Me All Night Long because I have been playing it a little wrong for a while. Trust me, some people just suck at tabbing. out of the 11 Shook Me All Night Long tabs, maybe one was even close to correct. I ended up figuring it out myself (rather easy solo, but still).

Also, you might think you suck because you are playing yourself. You might just be self-concious about your playing. Fpr example, I always feel kind of slow at the motocross track compared to the faster guys out there, but when I watch vids of myself I look fine.

Or, maybe you just need to plain clean up your playing. Don't worry, it's not bad if your playing isn't perfect, but once you start to develop technique and a feel for the instrument, you'll notice everything coming together.

Good luck!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
since you have only been playing 2 months, you probably shouldn't be putting too much pressure on yourself.
i know when i first started, i tried playing songs by bands like sevendust. it never sounded right. so i gave up on them. after a year or so of playing, i came back to them. and i had a startling discovery. different tunings. after 2 months, i didn't know about down tuning and what not.
could this be your problem?
if it isn't, just relax. the guitar greats didn't become that way over night.
Quote by ElBarto2811
you can really egsagorate (how the hell do you write that word??) the motion.

guitars:
LTD EX-400BD
Ibanez RG220B w/Dimarzio Tone Zone & Air Norton
Fender Deluxe PowerHouse Strat

Amp:
Marshall MF350 half stack
yeah thanks i guess i just need to chill and practice, I talked to my teacher about it today and he says that im doing fine and just need to take my time
Well I've been playing for almost 3 months now and I HAD the same problem.

Like mentioned above, use tabs that have lots of 5 star ratings, also read the comments to see what people think about.

Also listen to the song you want to play so you know the correct timing, how fast or slow you need to play certain riffs.
Try to find some easy stuff to learn. Early ac/dc is much easier to learn than later stuff. The jack, bad boy boogie, stuff like that. The three or 4 chord stuff. You can try to kill yourself learning the really fast stuff and get frustrated. And not all tab is gospel. Get a book on chords. You will find there are usually 5 ways to play each chord. Its good you know some scales so can learn some theory. You dont need to be able to write a concerto but it helps if you can change things to another key. And lots of practice on stuff you are good at. I think it was dimebag who said learn something new each day and thats 365 riffs in a year.