Page 1 of 2
ok, I've got insomnia, I'm always tired. I lie in my bed a lot wasting a lot of time but my mind never shuts off. It's getting worse over the last few weeks, my eyes feel very heavy and I can't stay awake, but then when I go to bed I can't sleep and my eyes hurt. Can't work, can't eat, can't think, can't really do anything. Any advice?
Start a Fight Club!!!

Seriously though, you should probably see a doctor/psychologist.
Quote by lateraluspiral
She sucked your dick after you put it in her ass..?
Thats love.

Date idea?
Quote by Kensai
Sneak into mordor
Quote by Gigatiran
At least you're thinking out of the box.

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club.

Save the world?
Quote by fifthhorseman54
Start a Fight Club!!!

If he does that, the doctor'll probably send him to a support group for testicular cancer.
check with a doctor
have you tried sleep aids (i.e. nyquil, sleeping pills)?
purple nurple!

Quote by RizzoWashburn
dis meanz yoo can make three p0nx albums!

One that sucks, one that doesn't suck, and one that nobody cares about!
Quote by fifthhorseman54
Start a Fight Club!!!

I'm scared of sleeping pills. I know a girl who takes medication and when she does it's like she's not there, you know, like there's a body but no mind and I'm really worried about taking medication. I used to get nightmares about it, looking in her eyes it's like looking in the eyes of a corpse that's still moving around. That's my main reason for not going to a doctor.
id be hesitant to try sleeping pills cuz you could become addicted. see a doctor, or try a few stiff drinks. cuz alcohol isnt addicting at all
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
Quote by Mr_BTP
id be hesitant to try sleeping pills cuz you could become addicted. see a doctor, or try a few stiff drinks. cuz alcohol isnt addicting at all

lol... alchoholics?
Quote by farcry
I'm scared of sleeping pills. I know a girl who takes medication and when she does it's like she's not there, you know, like there's a body but no mind and I'm really worried about taking medication. I used to get nightmares about it, looking in her eyes it's like looking in the eyes of a corpse that's still moving around. That's my main reason for not going to a doctor.

Psychologist can't prescribe you medication, that's a psychiatrist. Trust me I hate the whole idea of drugging people to sleep... the idea behind the psychologist is that maybe you'll have someone to talk to, someone you can get everything out to so your mind can rest easier.

Psychologist = no meds. They're not even allowed to suggest meds.

Quote by FireandFlames
If he does that, the doctor'll probably send him to a support group for testicular cancer.

Heh, that might do the trick right there
Quote by lateraluspiral
Thats love.

Date idea?
Quote by Kensai
Sneak into mordor
Quote by Gigatiran

Save the world?
1) Excercise. You'll feel a lot better and sleep a lot better.
2) Consider maybe taking some tylenol pm or nyquil, easy fix, but doesn't work well in the long run.
3) Don't lie in bed till you know you're tired. Be productive and do things, it might make you sleepier.
4) See a doctor, this'll sound horribly cliche but it might be a sign of a serious underlying illness
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
go to church on sundays the priest and his fairy tale book will put you to sleep.
Quote by fifthhorseman54
Psychologist can't prescribe you medication, that's a psychiatrist. Trust me I hate the whole idea of drugging people to sleep... the idea behind the psychologist is that maybe you'll have someone to talk to, someone you can get everything out to so your mind can rest easier.

you know in a beautiful mind where they lock him up even though he's not hurting anyone, I used to get nightmares about that. Is there a clause or something where they can't do anything to if you're not a danger to anyone? As well, I can't afford a psychologist, I can barely afford food and rent, so is there free kinds of things? I am in Canada but I don't know where I would go.
Quote by x_thurston_x
2) Consider maybe taking some tylenol pm or nyquil, easy fix, but doesn't work well in the long run.
3) Don't lie in bed till you know you're tired. Be productive and do things, it might make you sleepier.
4) See a doctor, this'll sound horribly cliche but it might be a sign of a serious underlying illness

Ahh, forgot about the excercise. Yea that should help. Just being generally healthier, in fact, will aid.

Quote by farcry
you know in a beautiful mind where they lock him up even though he's not hurting anyone, I used to get nightmares about that. Is there a clause or something where they can't do anything to if you're not a danger to anyone? As well, I can't afford a psychologist, I can barely afford food and rent, so is there free kinds of things? I am in Canada but I don't know where I would go.

EDIT: Don't worry about that man, they can't lock you up for insomnia, they won't do anything to you at all. Yes, there is such a clause. Even if they were to institutionalize you, you would either have to be criminally insane (which you're not until you've been convicted of a crime) or they'd need permission of you/your guardian. If you can't afford a psyche, your school might have one (I don't know how old you are, at least my school has a psychologist) otherwise doesn't Canada have universal healthcare? You might be able to find something
Quote by lateraluspiral
Thats love.

Date idea?
Quote by Kensai
Sneak into mordor
Quote by Gigatiran

Save the world?
Last edited by fifthhorseman54 at Nov 1, 2007,
By the way, I apologize but I feel like i've gotta say this...

Are you losing your appetite?
Do you ever feel like you're always tired?
Have problems falling asleep and yet never feel active?

WELL YOU MIGHT BE DEPRESSED (insert amazing anti-depressant ad that might cause suicide)
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

dont go to bed, just sleep where and when ever you feel tired.
also exercise to the fullest extent of your abilities, even if your tired keep pushing yourself.
it will make you PHYSICALLY tired to go along with your mental tiredness.
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
Quote by fifthhorseman54
Ahh, forgot about the excercise. Yea that should help. Just being generally healthier, in fact, will aid.

I've got back problems so I can't, I used to, about the same time that my back problems cropped up and I stopped excercising is when I couldn't sleep. It's been about a month since I've really slept.
well when i had insomnia i took 100mg of benadryl everynight to fall asleep but i dont reccomend that, u dont get addicted but you CANNOT fall asleep without it no matter what. you gotta get this stuff my mom got called valerian root, it got me off the benadryl and into a normal sleep cycle. look for it at a health store or some ****
Quote by Cameronrobson
It's a bat, a cyclops and an owl riding a pair of bicycles. Idiot.
Well, I myself have insomnia also so I can give you some help. Just in general eat healthy (If you can on your budget) and get plenty of exercise. Also when you try and fall asleep if you TRY and fall asleep you probably won't get there. Try making a mix tape of some calm relaxing songs and focus on the music, it should help you fall asleep. Oh and butt secks, lots of butt secks, unless that falls under exrcise....
Feed your mind.
Quote by farcry
I've got back problems so I can't, I used to, about the same time that my back problems cropped up and I stopped excercising is when I couldn't sleep. It's been about a month since I've really slept.

Try Yoga or Pilates. I'm totally serious. It's a great workout and it shouldn't be too strenuous on your joints/muscles (that's part of the point, that you can do it no matter what physical condition because it won't worsen anything.
Quote by lateraluspiral
Thats love.

Date idea?
Quote by Kensai
Sneak into mordor
Quote by Gigatiran

Save the world?
Quote by Downfall929
well when i had insomnia i took 100mg of benadryl everynight to fall asleep but i dont reccomend that, u dont get addicted but you CANNOT fall asleep without it no matter what. you gotta get this stuff my mom got called valerian root, it got me off the benadryl and into a normal sleep cycle. look for it at a health store or some ****

Valerian root... I think he should just skip to the part where the buildings explode

I love that movie way too much.
Quote by lateraluspiral
Thats love.

Date idea?
Quote by Kensai
Sneak into mordor
Quote by Gigatiran

Save the world?
Better health in general will help you in every aspect, not just your sleep.
Drink more water, eat properly, and if you can't really excercise, just walk.

You should see a doctor though, I mean maybe you're depressed or something.

+some random amount of points to whoever said yoga.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

-- Arthur Honegger

There also the posiblitie of not having insomia. You can have a sindrome ( what I have) where you are used to live in the night. So you go to bed ahigh times like 5 am every day. Then you wake up early. And the whole day you have the feelling of having jetlag. Then when get home you sleep long naps(more than 2 hours) cause you are tired. So then you are awake again all night.
Quote by x_thurston_x

Excercise defiantly, due to academic strains I haven't been able to excercise for the past couple of days and have hence been up until 3/4AM
Quote by fifthhorseman54
Try Yoga or Pilates. I'm totally serious. It's a great workout and it shouldn't be too strenuous on your joints/muscles (that's part of the point, that you can do it no matter what physical condition because it won't worsen anything.

thanks, I'll try that, I don't really care if it's lame. It'll be funny if I join a class, wish I could videotape it, a bunch of really attractive women and one dude with bags under his eyes, sweatpants and a mountain man beard.
Quote by x_thurston_x
Better health in general will help you in every aspect, not just your sleep.
Drink more water, eat properly, and if you can't really excercise, just walk.

You should see a doctor though, I mean maybe you're depressed or something.

+some random amount of points to whoever said yoga.

I love yoga.

But at any rate, TS, if you're really apprehensive about seeing a psyche try all these other things first

Excercise
Eating Right
The Valerian Root
Yoga
Pilates
Anything else anyone else suggested

And if that doesn't work try seeing that psyche... because it might be depression or something and even if it's not just talking about your problems to someone can do you a world of good... trust me I know from experience

Can I ask how old you are?
Quote by lateraluspiral
Thats love.

Date idea?
Quote by Kensai
Sneak into mordor
Quote by Gigatiran

Save the world?
Quote by farcry
thanks, I'll try that, I don't really care if it's lame. It'll be funny if I join a class, wish I could videotape it, a bunch of really attractive women and one dude with bags under his eyes, sweatpants and a mountain man beard.

Haha it's ****ing awesome if you get really into it. You only work as hard as you work yourself though, keep that in mind. And the attractive women is always a bonus
Quote by lateraluspiral
Thats love.

Date idea?
Quote by Kensai
Sneak into mordor
Quote by Gigatiran

Save the world?
I'm 21, like I said, even if I did want to go to a psychologist I wouldn't be able to afford it and I don't know if there's help for free.
I have been months without going to bed before 5 am. Then when you try to sleep early you cant. Same thing as jetlag. Thus people think they have insomnia.
No, you can't die from insomnia. Just chew some valerian root and get more exercise.

Some of you guys gotta get this one.

But yeah, I just recently got over 2 weeks of insomnia. I get it every now and then. I'm tired all day, and when I lay down I can't fall asleep until the wee hours of the morning (3 or 4) It just started going away after a while, I was getting more and more sleep each night and now I sleep right through and fall asleep almost immediately. How long has this been happening to you?
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "if I live I will kill you."
"If I die, you are forgiven."
Such is the rule of honour.
Is there anything that you think could be the cause of the problem? Is your sleeping schedule all over the place or is it consistent?
Quote by farcry
I'm 21, like I said, even if I did want to go to a psychologist I wouldn't be able to afford it and I don't know if there's help for free.

i'd suggest joining a gym and getting an exercise routine, you'll make yourself look and feel better AND you'll be tired enough to get a good night sleep its a win win (apart from the membership fee )
Quote by farcry

are you a student?
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

-- Arthur Honegger

Quote by farcry
I'm 21, like I said, even if I didn't want to go to a psychologist I wouldn't be able to afford it and I don't know if there's help for free.

Well try the other things first, hopefully that'll just do it for ya.

Maybe even try seeing a Homeopath. It's a form of alternative medicine if you're comfortable with that, where they give you extremely diluted forms of various substances (stuff found in nature, like elements and whatever) and use that to treat you... it's entirely energy-based. You hear mixed results - some people swear by it, quoting miracles such as curing cancer in weeks and healing bones in days, while other people say it does nothing. You may wanna consider it though, your call.
Quote by lateraluspiral
Thats love.

Date idea?
Quote by Kensai
Sneak into mordor
Quote by Gigatiran

Save the world?
no substance can help you get rid of insominia. Only way its to get so tired you need to sleep. And something that will help you relax not sleep.
I read that spending time watching tv or using the computer before bed can disrupt your body due to the light being emitted from the screen. Do you think that maybe you have this problem?
Quote by prncessdew
I read that spending time watching tv or using the computer before bed can disrupt your body due to the light being emitted from the screen. Do you think that maybe you have this problem?

yes. I have also heard that people now set up their rooms for entertainment, meaning that when you go to your room your body doesn't recognize its a place for sleep. Your body recognizes it as a place of entertainment.
epic7734
Doctors won't put you on tablets unless you stop sleeping altogether, or near enough. Plus as said before, many of them are very addictive and can make the situation even worse when you've finished the course of drugs you're put on. If sleeping is hard as it is, the last thing you want to add to that is withdrawal symptoms.

Don't do anything for an hour or so before you plan on going to bed that will wake you up - things like using the computer, playing video games, etc all stimulate your mind and thus will make it harder to sleep. Read a book on some subject that doesn't take too much thinking about.

Sort your diet out - cut down on sugary foods, cut out junk food (ESPECIALLY McD's and the like). Don't eat shortly before going to bed. Cut out all caffeine in your diet. Even if you don't feel the effects of that coffee you had earlier in your system, it's still there. And as we all know caffeine is addictive, meaning even if you drink coffee in the mornings, your body will still lap it up and want more, causing you to feel restless. Kind of like a smoker without their nicotine hit.

Don't listen to much music before going to bed, and obviously don't listen to stuff that will get you all worked up. Try ambient music. Likewise, don't watch TV, especially don't leave it on, it's just a distraction, something for your body to concentrate on.

Don't sleep with a light on. The human body has spent milennia adapting it's body clock to sleep when it gets dark. Artificial light is a comparitively recent development. Think about that.

Also I've found that sleeping somewhere artificially heated or cooled keeps me up. The air feels too dry, or too damp, and I just feel uneasy. If you don't live near a busy road, try cracking a window open a little to let some fresh air in. Obviously if you live over a major road, doing this probably won't do you much good, what with fumes and noise.

Exercise in the mornings - not in the evenings when your body should be winding down. The adrenaline rush from jogging or whatever will mess you up later on.

Identify sources of stress in your life and address them as best you can. No advice on that front, but obviously if something is worrying you, sort it out. Try keeping a diary - and I don't mean a bloody MySpace blog. Physically writing out what happened to you and your thoughts at the end of each day is sort of like cleaning the blackboard in your head. I found it helps, anyway.

Absolutely right when people say that people set their bedrooms up for entertainment - teenagers/etc especially tend to have all sorts of crap in their rooms that you'll come to associate with waking up and having fun. And I don't mean the ten inch dildo in your drawer, I mean the consoles, computers, stereo's etc. I know you can't just hoof all that out, but rearranging your room so that it doesn't dominate your view when you're in bed will probably help. The subconscious is a funny thing that makes connections that aren't usually obvious.

Get into a routine, even if you don't think you'll sleep. It might feel wrong getting into bed and shutting your eyes when you're wide awake at midnight, but keep repeating it and your body eventually gets into the rhythm. This is what messes up people who work shifts - by the time their body has got used to one shift, it changes and suddenly they're going to work when last week they were getting into bed. If you don't get some kind of routine into place, you're effectively jetlagging yourself.

I'm no doctor, my medical knowledge extends about as far as appreciating a girl in a nurses uniform, but I've struggled with insomnia for about ten years now, on and off. The above is just what I've found helps, sometimes at least. Unless you're one of a very, very rare group of people with a form of insomnia that stops you from sleeping altogether, and I mean completely (usually resulting in madness and death), you can sort yourself out just by methodically reworking your life until you've found the cause.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Nov 1, 2007,
Get your friends to hit you over the head with a frying pan.

Or listen to Caustic
Page 1 of 2