I want to get an Ashdown MAG 115 but I can't decide between the combo or the head and cab seperately.

The cabinet is a different dimension than the combo, which enables it to be stacked under a 2x10 or 4x10. I was thinking this was a good reason to buy them seperately rather than the combo which has a different sized speaker.

Why would Ashdown make a different speaker for the combo rather than just use the 1x15 cab like they do with the 210 or 410 combos? How does this affect the amp. How much more do you think it will be to get the separate pieces and is it worth it?

What do you suggest I do?

Thanks
-Nathan
I think you can get a MAG300 + 4x10 combo on www.thomann.de for not much more.

with the seperate head + cab you'll get more flexibility and stuff. its also easier to move.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I've recently been looking into the ashdowns, for a good job you need to play them, i found that they 1X15 cab is very muddy and not very clear while the 2X10 and 4X10 are alot clearer, not due to the size of the speakers but because they have a tweeter.

Getting a head n' cab is better IMO because the cab's are deeper and deliver more punch than in the combo's, and transport is a bit easier.

I'm going to get the Mag 300 head with the 4X10 cab, it's my kind of sound and will shift alot more air than the 1X15 or 2X10, but see if you can try them somewhere before you buy to see what sound you like.
Ibanez SR505
Yamaha RBX 270
Epiphone G400
Ashdown MAG C410T
VOX AD100VT
Digitech BP200
I've always found that a 1x15 by itself (i.e. head and 1x15) will almost always result in a muddy sound. For now, I'd go with a 4x10 and down the road compliment the 4x10 with the 1x15 so you can fill out your sound and cover both ends of the sound spectrum.
GAS List:
Nothing
Quote by Flummery
I've always found that a 1x15 by itself (i.e. head and 1x15) will almost always result in a muddy sound.

I think your EQ is a bit whacked there. I don't get mud, I get warm, round, bassy.

Oh and you'd know what great gear is right, you have a Beringher stack...

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Flummery
I've always found that a 1x15 by itself (i.e. head and 1x15) will almost always result in a muddy sound.

Maybe yes with lower quality amps (such as Behringer) that is the case, or you could be EQ-ing it wrong like Jonno said, but I run through a 1x15 on it's own and get a really nice fat, warm sound.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I'm a big Ashdown fan and have played loads of Ashdown amps. I'd recommend the 10" speakers over the 15" any day. The 410 combo is seriously heavy though and I do regret not getting seperate head and cab (that said when I can be bothered I can just separate them anyway)