Hey, so i'm sure i've mentioned before but recently I played a Crate Palomino V32 for the first time (they've all broken down in the store on me before and I finally found one that works and all.) Anyways after plugging in I couldn't put the guitar down. The cleans were nice and clear but warm and dark toned. I managed to get a nice light overdrive and from the 20 min. or so I played it it seemed like a decent amp.

Now just a few questions I was saving for a plexi or an AC30, but I was thinking could I get this and change out the speaker for maybe a good Celestion like the Vox amps? It already has the four EL-84's so I imagine the tones would be very similar right?

I'd also save a couple hundred, but is it worth skipping on a high end AC30 or plexi and getting this instead? Or are they really that much better?
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
If you find something you really like, why should you care that it isn't expensive?

If you can find that sound you've been craving on a cheap-o $100 dollar amp why would you need to get something else?

Like, my Valve King 212 may of only cost me a couple hundred dollars of Christmas money, but I can tweak the hell out of it and get all the sounds I'm looking for.

Do you get what I'm saying?

and no you probably won't be able to get it to sound "exactly" like a plexi or AC-30 by just changing some components, yes, it certainly would sound a lot better even awesome, but an amplifiers tone and responsiveness comes from a lot more then just it's circtuits
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
Last edited by Alex The Red at Nov 1, 2007,
it's a toughie. you should play both in one sitting, or something like that. and see if you love the plexi or ac30 enough to spend the money on it.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
^ Thanks I played the AC30 aswell that day. but couldn't mess around with it as much. Might be a good idea to compare side by side though.

As for the plexi being a Ceritaone it's sort of a risk, cause i'm just going with sound clips and vids. My guitar teachers loves his plexi though and the service seems great so I don't think i'd be too disappointed with it.

At this point I should have just about enough to afford any of these so more than price you guys are right i'll have to leave it to sound.

I heard the Palomino series isn't very reliable though, i've heard they can break down within the first three months? Is it true? (cause the ones i've tried so far haven;t worked before now.)
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

eh, i dunno either. it's all hearsay. and all the ones i've played have been abused by little kids at GC. missing knobs, holes, tears. still sounds great though
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Yup that it does^

I'm gonna try to go back sometime soon and check out those two and if I end up with a little extra cash I might spring for the 18 watter.

Make sure you check to see if the crate is made is the US, because from what i hear, they are the ones that are built better. I guess they changed over to having them made in Vietnam IIRC. Mine is a US model and have had no problems with it so far.
My V32 also US made works fine. I had it for a year and never had any issues with it.
Ibanez S470DXQM
Ibanez RG1570
Vox V848 Wah
TS-9 t/s
USA Big Muff
Solid Metal
MK PatriotGlory
Small Clone
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Crate Palomino V32
Vox AD50VT, Boss GT-8
Holy Grail
Echo Park
Thanks for mentioning that, would the V32 be able to do Gilmour style tones?

I love the clean tones from Shine On You Crazy Diamond and his lead sounds especially from the new album...

^where did jimmy page go from ur avatar???
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I just felt like a slight change would be nice.

Don't worry, Jimmy always seems to come back after sometime, I noticed your avatar has changed as well.

You should have no problems getting Gilmour tones with a palomino.
Ibanez S470DXQM
Ibanez RG1570
Vox V848 Wah
TS-9 t/s
USA Big Muff
Solid Metal
MK PatriotGlory
Small Clone
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Crate Palomino V32
Vox AD50VT, Boss GT-8
Holy Grail
Echo Park
i can't say anything about the palamino or the ac30
but i own a 50watt plexi (ceriatone) and an 18watt
they are amazing amps and you would really like one i bet
but i understand they aren't for everyone
if you have any questions about either one feel free to ask i love talking about them
i need one of those buttons that grandpas where that say ask me about my grandchildren
but plexi's instead
^ will do

I'm gonna go back and try these over the weekend too, basically i'm gonna try to find the one that has a good clean tone and headroom. I think that's most important, then something that can get a bit of drive if turned way up...

peavey classic has EL84's also.
I just cranked the clean channel on mine today. Brilliant!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
peavey classic has EL84's also.
I just cranked the clean channel on mine today. Brilliant!

yeah, if you liked the V32, check out the Peavey Classic 30 as well.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
I've played the Classic 30 and loved it, nice cleans warm drive. Covered a lot of the stuff I like.

I might have to compare it with the Crate. Though I really like the vintage and natural tones of Gilmour and the classic crunch tones of guys like Jimmy Page.