I have always been a fan of the sound of slap bass techniques, and I was wondering of using it in metal (being in extreme metal stylings more so then other stylings of metal) Anyone have examples if its been used well? Whether its just brief, or the bassist of the band uses it as a main technique. Also, others thoughts and opinions of this little pondering?
im a guitarist, but i think it sounds really cool. i think more metal bassists should play slap parts.
**RIP In the Van on the Comeback Road**

Quote by confusius
You're going to have to go to the doctor. He is going to ram his finger up your ass and the rest you can imagine. It will be severly painful you are most likely to die in the process. Enjoy.
Quote by aleckillscobra
im a guitarist, but i think it sounds really cool. i think more metal bassists should play slap parts.

lol its a bit harder than it looks
check out otep, god are they bad but he uses it. the human abstract as well only bands that come close to metal i can think of that use it.
Last edited by burn the stars at Nov 1, 2007,
Eh...Korn, Mudvayne?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Wow, are the only bands that have thought of doing this nu-metal bands? thats lame. Oh well, maybe with time, some form of change will be brought into death metal and black metal in the form of slap bass! Personally, i think that could sounds insanely good if done well. I also fear it being done too much and having bad bands that make it sound really bad, but that seems like a good trade off to me if there were even a few good metal bands that incorperated slap bass into their style, while also still being very metal.

***edit***
spoke too soon i think, Atheist? From the few songs of theirs ive herd, i like them. Any good songs to show an example?
"Sacrifice Unto Sebek"
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
Quote by metal Lover

Steve Digiorgio bands

Does Steve DiGiorgio slap? I know sometimes he does a little finger-raking type thing to play chords and it has a really percussive sound, but I don't think it's slapping. Besides, he plays fretless, and slapping sounds pretty bad on those

Also, as a general comment, I wouldn't count bands that have ONE SONG with ONE RIFF of slap n' pop to be "metal bands that use slapping"
the bassplayer from liv kristine slaps all the time, it's his picking technique I guess...

You can't really hear it at all but I've seen them live and he does.

Btw... I hate the music they make.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Besides, he plays fretless, and slapping sounds pretty bad on those

I don't think so...if I did I wouldn't like Primus, Les Claypool does fretless slap all the time and I think it sounds pretty good.

Anyway, bands that use slap in metal...Aghora, the bassist uses slap a bit, not too much though. Ummm does Cynic have slap in it? Seems like a band that would but I don't own the album.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by lickmychode
uhh korn but i dont know if its the style of metal you like

Aren't KoRn nu-metal?
Quote by Charlatan_001
Does Steve DiGiorgio slap? I know sometimes he does a little finger-raking type thing to play chords and it has a really percussive sound, but I don't think it's slapping. Besides, he plays fretless, and slapping sounds pretty bad on those

Also, as a general comment, I wouldn't count bands that have ONE SONG with ONE RIFF of slap n' pop to be "metal bands that use slapping"

Jaco Pastorius played fretless and he slapped.

Tony Choy of Atheist does do some slapping in a few songs.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by scalpelexis
I have always been a fan of the sound of slap bass techniques, and I was wondering of using it in metal (being in extreme metal stylings more so then other stylings of metal) Anyone have examples if its been used well? Whether its just brief, or the bassist of the band uses it as a main technique. Also, others thoughts and opinions of this little pondering?

I don't know if they do, but they should. Though I am a guitar player, I love the sound of bass, and its different techniques, especially slapping, popping, and any bas shredding.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't think so...if I did I wouldn't like Primus, Les Claypool does fretless slap all the time and I think it sounds pretty good.

Slapping on a fretless just isn't the same - there are no frets to give it the same percussive quality, which is what slapping is all about. The reason why in Primus it sounds fine is because the guitars are more of a backup role than anything, and the bass is pretty high up in the mix.

In the genre of metal, I think that the dull thudding of strings hitting a fretless would not even be noticeable in the song.

Quote by i have to pee
Jaco Pastorius played fretless and he slapped.

I don't think so. At least, he very rarely did
actually using slap bass in metal gives it a much heavier sound and actually really blends well into the music. mudvaynes old bassist was very good and while using slap gave the band a much edgier unique sound.
Quote by zaque/bass
actually using slap bass in metal gives it a much heavier sound and actually really blends well into the music. mudvaynes old bassist was very good and while using slap gave the band a much edgier unique sound.

I was talking about slapping on a fretless.

There should really be a reading comprehension test before people come onto these boards (except the Pit)
There's a nice little slap bass break in Adeste Infidelis by Cryptopsy. You can download the song for free on their website: http://www.cryptopsy.net/

It's the only slap bass part I remember hearing in a metal song...
Last edited by -Alek- at Nov 2, 2007,
Quote by -Alek-
There's a nice little slap bass break in Adeste Infidelis by Cryptopsy. You can download the song for free on their website: http://www.cryptopsy.net/

It's the only slap bass part I remember hearing in a metal song...

I was just thinking of that part and trying to remember which song it was. I was listening to it yesterday and was like "wow I never noticed that before"
Ooh man Ryan Martinie from Mudvayne does plenty of the slappety slap.

Great stuff. I realise this belongs in another thread, but I find it really hard to do those slaps on the lower strings that he does.

EDIT: He slaps chords!
There's a Pungent Stench song with slap bass, I think on "Been Caught Buttering"
See.....big sunglasses, not Emperor sunglasses, BIG sunglasses