FAQ

I think we need like an FAQ type thing around here, so here is some stuff I though of. If you have anything you think we should add, notice any n00b mistakes I have made or want to make fun of my spelling and grammar please feel free to chime in.

1. I would like to take up bass. So, What is good beginner bass?

Well, here are few of the most commonly recommended basses.
Ibanex GSR 200
Squier Jazz Bass
Squier Precision Bass

Most of the major manufactures of bass guitars also have starter packs which include a bass and an amp.

Wsshburn Starter Pack
Peavy Starter Pack
Squier P-bass Starter Pack
Squier J-bass Starter Pack
Ibanez Starter Pack

2. I was just going to run my bass through a guitar amp. I can do this right?

Wrong. There is a reason there are different amps for basses and guitars. Bass is lower frequency and the lower frequency will damage the speaker in a guitar amp which is geared to handle a high frequency. Not only this but, most of the time your bass will sound absolutely terrible.

3. I am switching over from guitar, is bass easier?

Depends…If you plan on playing root notes it is. But if you plan on playing some more intrigue stuff, like Rush, Primius or even bands like Green Day and The Clash you are in for a very rude awakening or rude wakening, respectively.

4. I am switching over from guitar, I’ve been playing for a few years, so I should already be good at bass, right?

No. Bass and guitar are two different instruments and are approached in two completely differently. Some things that you learned on guitar will help you out at times like scales, chord progression, etc. But when you start learning things like slapping and popping or creating good baselines, most of your guitar skills don’t apply anymore.

5. Slapping, Picking, Fingerstyle, what should I do?

It’s all a matter of personal preference. It’s also a matter of tonal difference; fingers make a more mellow sound, while a pick makes a more aggressive, attacky sound. Remember though, the more techniques you know the more versatile of a player you become, most players learn most of the styles to at least some degree.

6. What’s the difference between active and passive basses?

Simple, active or passive refers to the type of pick-up being used. Active pick-up are pick-ups that use a power-source and provide the player many features that allow to adjust the shape of their sound. These features include a preamp, active filters and active EQ. Passive pick-ups do not use a power source. They are made of a wire wound around a magnet which produces electrical charge. While they don’t provide as much tone changing versatility as the active pick-ups they generally provide more defined tone. Generally speaking, active pick-ups are more expensive than there passive counterparts.

7. What’s a decent acoustic bass?

For most of your price ranges, there isn’t one. So if you want one, your going to spend a large sum of cash. The Tacoma Thunderchief is the one that is the most high recommended. Alternatively, a Precision bass with flatwounds on it should have a similar tone to an ABG.

8. There is this guy thefitz and he makes fun of me, is there anything I can do?

No.

9. Why does it seem like everyone hates Thunderbirds?

Bad tone, poor construction, and for a ridiculously high price. That’s why. Although, a few people do actually like them.

10. What the deal with Behringer amps?

Don’t be fooled by the price and high wattages, the amps are not good at all. The watts are the peak wattages so all of their amps appear to be much bigger than they actually are. On top of that Tone is terrible as well.

11. Can I use a guitar pedal with my bass? Will it break my amp? My bass?

You can use a guitar pedal with a bass and it will not damage your amp or your instrument. The only problem is that, your low end can be cut out resulting in terrible sound.

12. How many watts will I need to compete with a guitarist?

The rule is that you should go for four times as many watts as the guitarist has, assuming he has solid state amp.

13. I defretted a bass, can I slap on it and not ruin the fingerboard?
Yes, just make sure you polyurethane the fingerboard first, otherwise you will.

14. What the difference between Roundwounds and Flatwounds?

Tone. Roundwounds have a brighter sound, while flatwounds have a mellower sound.
Top notch, platinum quality thread. It's a crime if this isn't stickied.

Seriously, if the Mods don't sticky this, or at least make their own thread that serves this purpose, they're making a rod for their own backs and giving all the regulars here a big damn headache. Please, do the right thing.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Isn't there a HUGE FAQ that's been in the works for a long time (i.e. yes)?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Isn't there a HUGE FAQ that's been in the works for a long time (i.e. yes)?

Apparently, but until I see it all pretty at the top of this forum, I ain't going to be happy.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
hahaha, the Fitz question is great.

I'd add a couple things, like not all guitar pedals will cut out your low-end. Many will, but not all of them.
As a suggestion, how about putting in a link to the 'Matinence (horrible sp...) thread'?
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Hey, fitz is right. Myself and Ben are writing a big, ultimately comprehensive FAQ that will be up soon once everything is sorted with it. We already have a promise that it will be stickied.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Captain Insano
1. I would like to take up bass. So, What is good beginner bass?

Well, here are few of the most commonly recommended basses.
Ibanex GSR 200
Squier Jazz Bass
Squier Precision Bass

Most of the major manufactures of bass guitars also have starter packs which include a bass and an amp.

Wsshburn Starter Pack
Peavy Starter Pack
Squier P-bass Starter Pack
Squier J-bass Starter Pack
Ibanez Starter Pack

IMO before giving a list of starter basses, you should first give a link to this bass buying guide. This way beginners will actually know what to look in a bass and not just buy a Fender because it's a Fender.

Quote by Captain Insano

3. I am switching over from guitar, is bass easier?

Depends…If you plan on playing root notes it is. But if you plan on playing some more intrigue stuff, like Rush, Primius or even bands like Green Day and The Clash you are in for a very rude awakening or rude wakening, respectively.

I wouldn't name bands.

Quote by Captain Insano

6. What’s the difference between active and passive basses?

Simple, active or passive refers to the type of pick-up being used. Active pick-up are pick-ups that use a power-source and provide the player many features that allow to adjust the shape of their sound. These features include a preamp, active filters and active EQ. Passive pick-ups do not use a power source. They are made of a wire wound around a magnet which produces electrical charge. While they don’t provide as much tone changing versatility as the active pick-ups they generally provide more defined tone. Generally speaking, active pick-ups are more expensive than there passive counterparts.

Are you sure this is correct? I thought an active bass just had active electronics and not necessarily active pickups.

Quote by Captain Insano

8. There is this guy thefitz and he makes fun of me, is there anything I can do?

No.

Quote by Captain Insano

9. Why does it seem like everyone hates Thunderbirds?

Bad tone, poor construction, and for a ridiculously high price. That’s why. Although, a few people do actually like them.

Speak for yourself. Sure everybody hates Epiphone Thunderbirds but not necessarily the Gibson ones. It's an acquired taste, but not a bad bass. Leave that part out, no need to show the Thunderbird in a bad light.

Quote by Captain Insano

12. How many watts will I need to compete with a guitarist?

The rule is that you should go for four times as many watts as the guitarist has, assuming he has solid state amp.

I'd say any watts is enough. There is a volume knob on your amp for a reason. The question to ask would be: how many watts will I need to compete with a drummer.
Deliruims gonna have your fucking pants down.

he's compiling a huge massive mofo of an FAQ. i think we shoudl just let this die.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Caustic
Apparently, but until I see it all pretty at the top of this forum, I ain't going to be happy.

It takes time to get it done. However it is nearly finished, and is in a lot more detail than this.

It does already have a thumbs up from UTBDan to be stickied, you all just need to wait for it.
Quote by rojomeansred
Great thread...only greenday and the clash don't have amazingly difficult basslines.

The guitar's are very VERY easy too though.

And lol at question 8
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It takes time to get it done. However it is nearly finished, and is in a lot more detail than this.

It does already have a thumbs up from UTBDan to be stickied, you all just need to wait for it.

Coolio. Last I heard of the mystical FAQ, it was just a vague concept with a couple of people half involved, hence my reaction here.
It is settled then. We shall have patience and wait for the new, more extensive FAQ to be written.

/Thread.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Nov 2, 2007,
Quote by Caustic
Coolio. Last I heard of the mystical FAQ, it was just a vague concept with a couple of people half involved, hence my reaction here.

That was before I got onboard and got the ball rolling

That's a lie

I think different people had different things going on that hindered it's production a tad. Just give it a little bit longer. It still needs proof-reading and such.
Yeah. This FAQ is plenty fine for an interim FAQ that should be stickied until the big collaboration gets unleashed.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Yeah. This FAQ is plenty fine for an interim FAQ that should be stickied until the big collaboration gets unleashed.

Even these questions will stop a million I'm a guitarist..../What's a good ABG/ I can just use a guitar amp threads a week, until the big FAQ gets done and assumes that role.