ok, so i'm looking into a new amp. my old one is a piece of crap and i was thinking about maybe a peavey valveking or a small marshall. any ideas?
im in the same situation and im leaning towards a hughes and kettner
Marshall MG50DFX. All of the DFX series amps are good, though. Fender makes some good small amps as well. Vox is excellent, but a tad pricey. My advice to you would be to look around online at reviews, and head to your local store and try them out, preferably with your guitar. It's really up to you.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
the lower end (affordable) marshalls suck. only go for a marshall if you can get the JVM or something
^^ you need to name specific amps, each company has their share of crappy amps, as well as good ones.

the marshall MG is basically garbage, provided you're not playing alone at low volumes all the time.

threadstarter, what are you playing through now? what's your budget? are you gigging/jamming often?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
well, my budget is anywhere from $200-400ish (us) i'm not gigging yet but plan on it and i jam alot. and thanks for all your help.

edit:I was also thinking about maybe a modeling amp for just practice and stuff until i can afford to get some effects pedals. any ideas on that?
Last edited by ortrigger at Nov 1, 2007,
the Hartke GT 60 c 60 Watt Tube Combo is really good, and when you want to upgrade to bigger you only have to buy a cab cause you have the jacks in the back for it
ok, so lets try this again. i'm looking for a decent amp between 200-400 us dollars to replace my old ibanez 15w practice amp that came with my guitar. the two main brands i'm looking at are marshall and crate. any ideas?
^ I wouldn't force myself to choose from just 2 brands, but that's me. If you're looking at Crate anyway, try a V8 tube combo, or mabye whichever model is a step up from that one.
What styles are you planning on playing...?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
well, i play most styles of rock so i want an all around kind of amp. i've also been looking a lot and have found a few that i like but want some second opinions on.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-Flexwave-Series-FW65-65W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481058

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG30DFX-Combo-?sku=483188

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-30X-Amp-with-COSM?sku=487032

so let me know please.
Ok, from what I've read:

MG = crap
Cube = good for metal, ok for otherwise too
Crate = don't know.

Look into the Vox Valvetronix series, they should be pretty good (they can't do metal tho, I think).
Quote by stratman_13
Marshall MG50DFX. All of the DFX series amps are good, though. Fender makes some good small amps as well. Vox is excellent, but a tad pricey. My advice to you would be to look around online at reviews, and head to your local store and try them out, preferably with your guitar. It's really up to you.

Please tell me that you didn't type that with a straight face

TS, the MG series is garbage, as are Fender Frontmans/men....go for a Vox Valvetronix.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
he probably did. can't help idiocy though. too bad lol. your right about the vox too. it looks really nice.
i can say anything with a straight face!!!

except "MGs and Frontmans/men are very good amps." that i cannnot.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
if you're going to be jamming and/or gigging without being mic'd i suggest you go all-tube. it'd be much easier to cut through the mix unmic'd and the tone would be fuller. and plus i think the valvetronix still sounds a tad digital when it's live/recorded.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
the only thing about all-tube is the majority of them are over my price range right now. besides when i jam there's usually only 2 or 3 of us together (no drummer yet) so i think i would be ok.
go for a used palomino V32, or a V16 .

i would go for the 32 just incase you start gigging
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
the Palomino V16 is in your price range and will easily get up over a drummer
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
yes but the palomino's that i have access to are all out of my price range. i've determined i don't really have a good enough budget to afford anything more than about $300ish.