Hokay. So. I have an Ashdown MAG300 C410T. I love this amp. However, I can easily afford an extension 1x15 cabinet to it, and am very interested in doing so.

I play metal in a band situation, and everything else by myself. It's pretty hard to hear myself as it is over 2 guitarists, loud drums, and vocals. My next bass will most likely be a 5 string. To push the B string frequencies out I know a 1x15 is needed to make it sound at least somewhat pleasing to the ear... Not muddy horse ****. (Well I've tried a 5 string on my 4x10 and it's decent, but at loud volumes its crap. )

Question is, how much benefit in volume will i get from this? Currently, my amp is pushing out 183W at 8ohms. If I add an additional cabinet it will be using the amp's full 300W.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-115-1X15-Deep-Bass-Cabinet?sku=605030

edit: OR.. how bout an Ampeg 1x15 cabinet to go along with my Ashdown? Has anyone ever combined brands for their stacks?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-B115E-1X15-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=603089
Last edited by -zj* at Nov 1, 2007,
Volume is a really bad thing to go by because your ear perceives the change in decibles in a non-linear way (which makes sense, since decibles are non-linear). I have a 250W amp and I can turn it to a level where I can be heard clearly at stage volume. I have a loud band too. Other than that, how would you like me to answer the question? I can't really assign a number here.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Well.. I'd like to know if it's worth it. Sure, you're able to notice if i stop playing in the middle of a song because all the bass goes away. But when I add improvisations, it's still even hard to hear because of all the distortion from the guitars. I sometimes have to use distortion myself because it seems much louder than clean. A few days ago when we were jamming I was actually told to turn it up. So I just put on distortion and that was my solution, lol.

Plus.. the whole 5-string thing.. I know for a fact 1x15's handle a low B string well.
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.
More power is always worth it for a bass player. There's no such thing as too much headroom (unless we're talking over 1000W) for a bass player. Not only that, a bass tone sounds much 'bigger' coming out of more speakers. Even at the same stage volume, you'll sound more present.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yeah. Sounds good fitz. One other question:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-115-1X15-Deep-Bass-Cabinet?sku=605030

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-B115E-1X15-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=603089

I can afford the Ampeg. Do you or anyone else know anything about mixing manufacturers? I'm pretty sure it shouldn't have any technical effect. But tonal wise?
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
Actually, I'm flummoxed here. Ampeg does have a trademark tone, but it's more towards the amps as opposed to the cabs. I was hoping one cab was made of plywood but not the other, but oddly enough, I'm going to give the Ashdown the advantage here. It's cheaper and has more power and will probably look nicer with Ashdown gear. However, the Ampeg's ported cab means your low end could be that much fatter.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Hmmmm... You're right about looks. But it's only a 50W difference. And yeah, like you said, the Ampeg may be a much fatter low-end. And it probably will, I mean, it's Ampeg.. am I right? or no?

EDIT::::::

What about the Ashdown ABM-115? The pro-line 115 cabinet..

http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=12

This thing looks like a beast...
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects:
Last edited by -zj* at Nov 2, 2007,
The ampeg cab gives a great tone IMO, a balance between muddy lows and crisp highs, you really need to try them out.

If you added that ABM i don't think you'll bet getting much of the wattage out of it and they are quite expensive..
Ibanez SR505
Yamaha RBX 270
Epiphone G400
Ashdown MAG C410T
VOX AD100VT
Digitech BP200
I have that ABM cab and I love the sound it gets. I run it on it's own and get a really nice fat classic rock sound out of it.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Ok so... I'm leaning towards the Ampeg, as it's only $15 more expensive ($350:$365) at the place I'm buying it from. Should I over the MAG/ABM cabs?
Gear:

Basses:
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Effects: