I really don't see them sitting there and studying music for 5 hours a day. And I've never heard them speak of technical music terms even in magazines meant for musicians.

If you read a guitarist's biography it will say that they practiced 8 hours a day and stuff like that. But for pop stars the bio makes it feels like they hardly ever had any musical training and they just magically appear in the music industry through connections!
Who?

EDIT: most pop stars are entertainers, not musicians.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
people in that genre really dont express their feelings through composition though. more through the lyrics and beats or whatever.

so i think your argument is completely irrelevant....
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by x_thurston_x
Who?

EDIT: most pop stars are entertainers, not musicians.

Win.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

i dont mind timbaland. hes actually one of the few that i enjoy. i work at the gap and that is what everyone else wants to listen to. when they all leave its the rock station though. and in an answer to your question...timbaland and jt and all them can sing well and probably take voice lessons. but thats all they really need to know. other people write their music.
You don't have to know all the technical terms in music or practice 8 hours a day to be considered a "good" musician.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Quote by scarlet20
I really don't see them sitting there and studying music for 5 hours a day.

Do you spend a lot of time watching them in their daily lives? Creepy.
If Timbaland knew any music theory he wouldn't write stuff like that. He and everyone else like him or Lil Jon and whoever are just entertainers.

It's a shame dey get dat mad chedda whilez uva hard werkin muzishuns is bustin dey azz fo a dolla. Na'm sayin?
Got Bass?
If I was in charge in the Timberland HQ, Id get some of my best freaking crooked lawyers to sue his sorry ass back to the ghetto.
͏͏͏
۩۩۩۩۩۩۩Ƒyre Ðeity۩۩۩۩۩۩۩

Quote by Here_is_no_why

"Hey Mike, did your mom have a C section when she gave birth to you? Because I wanna make sure she's tight before I bang her."
Quote by scarlet20
I really don't see them sitting there and studying music for 5 hours a day. And I've never heard them speak of technical music terms even in magazines meant for musicians.

If you read a guitarist's biography it will say that they practiced 8 hours a day and stuff like that. But for pop stars the bio makes it feels like they hardly ever had any musical training and they just magically appear in the music industry through connections!

most pop stars haven't had any musical training? I'm going to assume by "pop stars", you mean "hip-hop artists."

and for an example of why you're wrong, I would like to point out some Kanye West lyrics...

"Lock yourself in a room doing five beats a day for three summers
That's a different world like Cree Summer
I deserve to do these numbers"

So just because you don't 'get' a genre of music, doesn't mean it doesn't take practice to get good at it.

Quote by JC13
Most of the time, I hear them talk about their past and how they grew up, but I can't really imagine someone practicing their rap skills for hours a day, but with instruments you can easily see people practicing for weeks straight practically.

people practice their rap skills all the time. it's all about the delivery. listen to some songs by saul williams, go to youtube and download some of his spoken word stuff, actually listen to the way eminem flows on his (older) songs and tell me that **** doesn't take practice.

Quote by metal4life592
You don't have to know all the technical terms in music or practice 8 hours a day to be considered a "good" musician.

THANK YOU. I wish I had two more hands, so I could give that comment four thumbs up.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
I used to think rapping took a lot of skill before I started to play guitar. Anybody that can improvise on the guitar can write a rap song. You just need a sense of rhythm. I can actually count what kind of note I'm rapping! Most rappers can't do that. And Eminem raps to the easiest beats in the world!

Its hard to right good lyrics and rhymes but the musical part is basic.
I think Timbaland is pretty sharp. I mean he's a good producer, just looking at what he did with Justin Timberlake.