Im getting a MIM strat for Christmas. Im having trouble deciding between SSS and HSS. My local stores dont have any HSS otherwise Id go try them out. I play things ranging from blink 182 to rchp to incubus. For future reference, what are some good pickups to upgrade to and is it hard to change a pickguard?

Also, does anybody have a real picture of a strat in electron blue?

I currently have a Marshall lead 12 combo, its a good amp but I really would like to have a footswitch and it to be a bit louder. Im looking for a 30 watt combo under $250 with footswitch.
I would go HSS. I personally own one and think it's great. It's quite versatile so you should be able to play a wide array of music.
Quote by FRDesign
SSS, you dont play anything metal

Thats not very smart. Since when are humbuckers purely for metal? My gretsch has humbuckers...

And its not a heavy metal axe!!

I reckon you should go HSS, probably the most versatile combonation. Or even a HSH.

As for an amp.

250$ american??? I personelly think you should save up abit more and maybe try out an Orange Rocker 30 or an AD30. Great amps.

If you insist with solid state maybe check out a Peavey Studiopro 112, they are 60 watts and really loud. Just make sure the overdrive channel WORKS.
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
Quote by Metal_Injection
250$ american??? I personelly think you should save up abit more and maybe try out an Orange Rocker 30 or an AD30. Great amps.
...also seriously expensive! the theory is sound though - if you can save up a bit more it'll be well worth it. You buy an amp for $250 and I guarantee you'll need a new one in six months' time!

I'd suggest a Peavey Valveking 112, Laney VC15 or Orange Tiny Terror. Cheaper still are the Laney LC15 and Crate Palomino V16 which are both great amps for the price. Don't forget to scour eBay and the classifieds for used bargains!
Instead of a footswitch, it's better to just get yourself a decent OD pedal. There are plenty which also have a boost built-in, so it's like adding another two channels to your amp....

Back to the guitar....go for HSS and stick a '59 or JB in the bridge.
There is no point in my saving for a tube amp or stack. I play guitar for simply fun and once in awhile I jam with friends. My current combo is heard over my drum set and has sat 8 years and still plays. So any amp above $300 is out of the question.
Quote by Miss G
There is no point in my saving for a tube amp or stack. I play guitar for simply fun and once in awhile I jam with friends. My current combo is heard over my drum set and has sat 8 years and still plays. So any amp above $300 is out of the question.

Sounds like you could use a Roland Cube 30X For the guitar, I prefer the versatility of HSS, but SSS may work a bit better for what you're playing. Really, it all comes down to preference. Draw out of a hat.
Quote by Miss G

I don't know what guitar you have now, but a smallish (20-30W) tube combo with a crap guitar will generally sound better than a nice guitar (i.e. your MIM strat) through all but the nicest SS amps.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
after much reading and thinking ive decided to go with a SSS. Im probably going to sell some things and sell my current amp and save up for tube combo. The two im looking at is the peavy classic 30 and the fender blonde blues junior.

Btw, my current guitar is an old peavy raptor 1, so a strat should be a good upgrade.