Hi i'm planning on buying a new guitar next month and i'm deciding between a jackson rr3 and a prs se standard camo. can anyone out there give me advice on my choice ? i play a lotta shred and metal and i'm looking for a guitar with really good quality , long lasting-ness (or whatever it is) and suitability for my genre . I don't really care much about the humbuckers cause i'm gonna replace them with emgs sooner or later.
Well i much prefer PRS but really its personal choice. PRS is really a great guitar for any genre but since you're Metal specific the Jackson may be for you. Try em both out and decide for yourself.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Jackson is a piece of total crap
PRS - absoluteley rocks - one of the most versatile guitars ever , brilliant cleans , warm , rich tone , crunchy , fresh overdrive sound.

So , if You are not just a poser or total hardcore "nothingelsebutchldrenofbodom" shredder tipe , then PRS is best for You!
I say go with the Jackson, it's more appropriate to the sound you're looking for as opposed to a PRS where you pay thousands for the name and you'll end up getting a guitar that, sure its versatile, but you said you want something that shreds well. Jackson vs PRS for shredding? seems pretty obvious you should hit the jackson.
Quote by Acid_(b)Rain
PRS - absoluteley rocks - one of the most versatile guitars ever , brilliant cleans , warm , rich tone , crunchy , fresh overdrive sound.

So , if You are not just a poser or total hardcore "nothingelsebutchldrenofbodom" shredder tipe , then PRS is best for You!

I disagree, that was kind of biased.

I prefer Jackson over PRS for metal. But PRS guitars are amazing as well. TS, you should try out both guitars and get what you like.
Quote by Acid_(b)Rain

First off, Jackson's are not crap. Second off, if you don't like it, say why instead of just bashing it.

They are both great companies, I think PRS is a little overpriced,but they do have a good crunch sound, and are used by quite a few metal guys. I'd say if you are looking at more shreddy stuff, go for the Jackson then.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
well i've tried out both and the prs neck seems a bit wide and i think it might affect my shredding . however, the tone of the rr3 isn't as rich as that of the prs
I would go for the Jackson, it is a very nice guitar, and is more suited to metal than the PRS. The PRS is more versatile however, so if you're considering joining a country band , get the PRS.

Just out of curiosity, what amp do you have?
buy a Caparison i tried a Caparison today and was totally blow away by the playbaitly , but if u wan to compare the rr3 and the PRS , i would suggest u find a used rr5 on ebay they are going for pretty cheap prices ,they are awesome too
Quote by Necronomicon
I say go with the Jackson, it's more appropriate to the sound you're looking for as opposed to a PRS where you pay thousands for the name and you'll end up getting a guitar that, sure its versatile, but you said you want something that shreds well. Jackson vs PRS for shredding? seems pretty obvious you should hit the jackson.

have you PLAYED the PRS? the gutiar rocks for what it is.

btw at sound control the SE STD camo go fro £200 that plus a pickup swap will be better tahn the jackson.

BUT i would suggest the same as above and scan ebay for an RR5.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
I dont think you can compare to Jackson to a PRS in terms of quility. While jacksons are "metal" they arent much else, at least with the ones ive tried.
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
sounds like you should decide between ibanez, jackson, or esp for what you like playing. i dont think ive (personally) ever seen a prs with emgs.
from what you play I think Jackson would be a really good choice I uset to have the RR3 before I part exchanged it for my RR24 and it was an awesome guitar not nearly as good as my RR24 but still awesome for the money
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
I have been very underwhelmed by all of the PRS SE Standards that I have played.

Really poor resonance; they almost feel like you're playing a toy.

I'd suggest taking a look at the Michael Kelly Valors. Better specs. Tons of resonance. Do it now .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
The Jackson Pro series on up are very high quality guitars, worth your attention. On the other hand, no one buys an RR3 to play country. LOL
Quote by FacingUsAll
I have been very underwhelmed by all of the PRS SE Standards that I have played.

Really poor resonance; they almost feel like you're playing a toy.

I'd suggest taking a look at the Michael Kelly Valors. Better specs. Tons of resonance. Do it now .

...Knows his stuff.
Quote by Acid_(b)Rain

Funny more real guitar players play Jackson... and it real comes down to the player for versatility... Second PRS is good, but Jackson is better for what he wants to play... Third you spelt type wrong...

I say go play the Jackson and then the PRS and see which you like better... But I would go with Jackson.
Here are some Pros and cons:

Jackson:
High, MIJ, quality
Double Locking Trem
High output pickups
Hardware finish is a bit on the cheap side

PRS:
Also very high quality
Nicer finishes
Better hardware
Much easier to use for alt tunings

I want to note the PRS has mid output pickups. That being said, they came off to me as being "a jack of all trades" but didn't really stand out for anything. I thought they sounded a bit weak actually, with bland cleans. Personally, if all you plan on playing is metal, go with the Jackson. It will probably last you longer too. The PRS is just not a very metal oriented guitar. While you can play metal on either, the RR3 is much better suited for the job.

EDIT: Btw Mr. Jackson is crap, go play something other then a JS before making a retarded, baseless comment.
Quote by Acid_(b)Rain

You < Idiot

PRS have fat necks and are not easily shred-able, not to mention the pups are mid output and probably too soft for metal. Jackson on the other hand has, a nice thin neck, nice pups (SD JB and Jazz) and a decent LFR.

EDIT: Hell after that comment I'd get the Jackson out of spite.
Last edited by Justin Credible at Nov 2, 2007,
Quote by Justin Credible

EDIT: Hell after that comment I'd get the Jackson out of spite.

wouldn't we all... I mean he must of not read the thread starters question because we all know Jackson>PRS when it comes to shredding....
PRS may be better(haven't played it). the high end jacksons dominate metal though(SL1, KV2, KE1, etc) so check the jackson out for sure
Quote by Acid_(b)Rain

Damn, you are so cool. You prove no points to say the Jackson sucks and you even shut in an attack on metal, good job.

Personally I think the Jackson is an overall better quality guitar from all the lower end Paul Reed Smith's I have played.
Quote by Necronomicon

Or he's talking about the SE series (which he is) that costs a couple hundred bucks, not thousands.
Hi, I'm Peter
I just really hate Jacksons , never liked any one of the Jacksons ive played - im sorry if i hurt anyones feelings.
rr3 is not a piece of crap. its a very good guitar. has a very nice neck (in my opinion) looks very nice, is comfy when you get used to it, when you stand with it on a strap it is weighted nicely, and the jb in the bridge is very good for metal since thats what you want to play. on both pickups with low gain it sounds very much like a thicker sort of claptonny sound (think layla) and the jazz - orite its not fantastic but its nice enough, and its quite a cheap guitar for what it is.

build quality? ive had it for a year, i play about 4 - 8 hours a day depending on spare time, and it went wrong once, the bit where the trem bar screws on came unscrewed on the inside and fell into the inside of the guitar. five mins in shop was sorted free of charge. stays in tune well and is lighter than looks but still has above average sustain
Quote by Acid_(b)Rain
I just really hate Jacksons , never liked any one of the Jacksons ive played - im sorry if i hurt anyones feelings.

Because YOU never liked the ones you've played doesn't mean its crap. Also you've yet to say why... and for the record, I'm not huge on a lot of guitars, but I don't say they're junk and you shouldn't buy them without reason.
PRS SE's aren't real PRS's, look on the back of the headstock, they're manafactured by another company "under exclusive license for Paul Reed Smith" , they aren't bad guitars, but the Jackson would be better IMO, the jackson didn't have the body in the sound because it's alder, the PRS is going to be warmer and thicker by nature because of the mahogany body, with a pickup swap for some warmer pickups the jackson would have that too, the JB is going to sound trebly in there.
Quote by Chad11491
PRS SE's aren't real PRS's, look on the back of the headstock, they're manafactured by another company "under exclusive license for Paul Reed Smith"

you know Cort and Samick make 90% of the guitar from China and Korea right? ESP/LTD, PRS SE, Ibanez, and more, all made by Cort or Samick.
Quote by which ones pink
I would go for the Jackson, it is a very nice guitar, and is more suited to metal than the PRS. The PRS is more versatile however, so if you're considering joining a country band , get the PRS.

Just out of curiosity, what amp do you have?

well , i have a vox da5 at the moment but i'm saving up for something like a randall rg series
I didn't read that it was a SE. Get the Jackson. i really don't like the PRS SE's. The pickups, as someone said earlier, are not great at anything, just seem like mediocrity was what they were aiming for. Even though it has a maple top, the sustain is a lot shorter than you think it would be. Jackson's get pretty good sustain, and are very good for shred. Not to mention, the pickups are better for metal.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I'd go for the Jackson. Mostly because it suits your style better and I really don't think PRS would be as good for that. Though, I'd also choose an Ibanez/ESP over a Jackson.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR