ok so wehnever i change strings and put them throguht the tuning peg hole i cant seem to get them stay tight when i wrap them around do i wrap around first or put throguth then wrap around quick answers please because i need it done soo nand itys pissign me off
Through-underneath the string at the point it goes through-bent back over that string at that point

I'm pretty useless at describing this without a pic though...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Stringing up a guitar is a pretty basic task, and every guitarist should know how. Here's a fairly easy way to do it.

1) Line up the string hole in each tuner lengthwise with the fretboard, so you could look thru the hole all the way down to the bridge. Feed the string thru the hole in the tuner. Hold the free end with one hand, and while holding the string at about the 5th fret with the other, lift the string away from the fretboard a few inches. This space will change as the strings get fatter, so start with the high E. Lifting the string away from the fretboard will give you the extra length you need to make the wraps at the tuner.
2) While holding that distance, with your hand that's up by the headstock, bend the string wire at a right angle to itself. If you have to push the string thru the hole a little more that's cool. Just get that bend in it, and the bend needs to be on the far side of the tuner hole, away from the rest of the guitar.
3) Now, pull the string back just until the bend is up against the tuning peg. Start winding up the string on the tuner. When the wrap part comes up to the excess tail of the string(free end), make sure the first wrap goes over the top of the tail, not under. Wind away until you come back around to the first wrap and this time, make sure that the wrap goes under the first wrap. This will lock the string into the hole in the tuning peg. Keep winding up until there's just a little tension on the string and it won't slip out anymore. Make sure you are winding them the right way too. If the guitar has 3 per side tuners, those on the left, as you look at the face, or string side of the headstock, will wrap around the pegs counterclockwise, and clockwise on the right. In otherwords, when you tune up, the left tuning posts will turn counterclockwise to tighten, and the right ones will turn clockwise to tighten. For this step, you will want 2-3 full wraps below the hole in the tuning peg, and 1 above. If the low E string is a very heavy gauge, you may only get 2 under before running out of room. This is ok, as long as you have 1 over.
4) Continue like this until you have all strings in place on the guitar.
5) Bring each string up in tension to somewhere between slack and tuned to pitch. At the 12th fret of each string, lift it away from the fretboard an inch or so, stretching it out. Move it side to side too. Look and listen at the headstock for the string slipping out of the tuner. If ok, do the same to the next string.
6) Bring all strings closer to concert pitch, but leave flat then repeat the stretching part of step 5.
7) Tune to concert pitch, EADGBE. Retune as necessary until guitar is stable, a day or so later.
8) If you want a neat job, use a small side cutter and snip the excess string off about 1/4 inch from the tuning peg.

I may edit in some pics later on to assist, but if you follow these instructions, you'll have a guitar that will stay in tune and look nice and neat. You may also want to lube the nut slots before putting the strings on. I prefer Big Bends Nut Sauce. It's kind of like vasoline with some graphite in it. It really helps with smooth tuning and I never get any binding at the nut whatsoever. Just make sure not to get any on the tuning pegs. Also, this little tutorial is meant for standard tuning pegs, not locking ones. For lockers, just follow the mfr's instructions on how to wind strings.
Last edited by LeftyDave at Nov 2, 2007,
Quote by huevomax
wrap the string around tightly and then put it through the hole

That's the incorrect way to do it. They will slip. The string needs to go through the hole first, then get wound onto the tuning peg. This is why string winders are made.