Before I ask for some help, let me first tell you my story.

I'm HawtDawg. I'm from the philippines. I'm 16.

My friend invited me to their band coz their bassist was going away to er... somewhere. I agreed even though I didn't know anything about playing bass. Nor what the bass guitar even looked like.

We practiced for a contest at school. We got in the Eliminations and we bagged 3rd place along with another band.

We all took it badly coz We worked our asses(and the skin on my index finger) off for it.

after the incident, we never got together again as a band. I only get hi-hellos from the guys(except the drummer, coz she ignores me now).

since then, I haven't touched my bass. I wanna get back even without a band.

do you guys know any song that I could practice on? er.. no heavy metal please. it scares me a bit. no offense to those who like it.
I wanna go back to where I was...
try the beatles, then work on zeppelin, then go to the chili peppers.

and screw those guys just start your own band.
to start off, keep it simple blink 182, mxpx and other pop punk bands will be good to start with. what kinda music are you into?
Quote by burn the stars
to start off, keep it simple blink 182, mxpx and other pop punk bands will be good to start with. what kinda music are you into?

dunno really. but i really like new found glory. kiss me's my fave.
Quote by HawtDawg
dunno really. but i really like new found glory. kiss me's my fave.

You should work on some of their tunes then. I don't think the bass is too challenging.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Quote by terrencemaddox
You should work on some of their tunes then. I don't think the bass is too challenging.

i find plating bass easy actually. Hearing it is the problem. xD
tabs man, its the way to go. if you like nfg, youll feel right at home with the bands i said.

EDIT: when your playing is really good, look at no doubts early stuff.
Quote by HawtDawg

AH, I gotcha. You don't want to learn from tabs? If not, that's cool.

If you would rather learn to read music, get a beginners book. If you want to learn by ear, keep at it my man.

Good luck.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
tabs are ok. but i find trouble fusing the tabs with the song itself. but i can sometimes.
Quote by HawtDawg
tabs are ok. but i find trouble fusing the tabs with the song itself. but i can sometimes.

Tabs are a good reference when you are totally lost on how to play a song, but you are going to have to develop your ears. Learn your parts and arrangements on tab and then play along with the song, getting the feel and timing down. I usually practice with a walkman and ear phones and adjust the volume accordingly with my bass. If you are having trouble with a part, just rewind and listen to it a few times and then try to play along with it again.

And take terrencemaddox's advice. Learn the music you like. Play along to your favorite albums. You aren't going to stay interested in playing if you aren't even playing the music you dig.

By the way, it doesn't matter what instrument you play. It is only as difficult as YOU want it to be.
Quote by HawtDawg

Hearing the bass will come with practise, stick with it and you'll notice the bass more and more. You subconsciencelessly pick it up.

New Found Glory is great. Im actually gonna play some now!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
People often overlook the idea of learning the songs you like, you'll learn alot more about your influences that way, imo, theres alot more to bass, but I'd start off there.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.