hello all. im getting a bit sick of playing the basic Am G F G Am chord progressions. i want to try jamming with some chords that i can put a lot of melody and feeling in the solo. something like Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits in songs like Love Over Gold and Brothers In Arms. i can't really think of an example, but things like that. also, the kind of chords going on in Comfortably Numb. that kind of thing. something with a bit of variation. so what do you suggest?
Originally Posted by Kill Factory
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:

Gain: 0
Bass: 0
Mid: 0
Treble: 0

Master Volume: 0

HAHA!
Just take your standard chord progressions and put in some sus2/4, 7, maj7, 6, add9, 13 chords etc instead of the standard major and minor. Experiment, see what sounds good. Learn how the different type of chords sound, learn to use them where it fits - there's not very much theory behind it.
I'm a communist. Really.
just take the same chords and give them a different quality. majors and minors get so boring. instead of a A minor, do an A minor 7 (of course you still need to keep it in key)

Jack my swag
This is one of those areas in which a little guitar-tomfoolery will go a long way. Just play different chords; be they from charts, theory consideration, or plucked from the air. Soon, you'll know what sounds nice.
ok thanks guys
Originally Posted by Kill Factory
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:

Gain: 0
Bass: 0
Mid: 0
Treble: 0

Master Volume: 0

HAHA!