^yeah there is, its a smoother sound, not the steps you get with sliding with frets.
Quote by NGD1313
I cen lyk spel reel gud. I came n 2nd n da spelling b, sum dumb 4en kid beet meh.
you get alot smoother slides up and down the neck? Im not that good of a bassist but thats all i noticed when i played a fretless jazz bass.
Quote by Guitar Hero 69
and why dont double basses have frets

probably because the idea of frets was invented after the double bass.
Quote by NGD1313
I cen lyk spel reel gud. I came n 2nd n da spelling b, sum dumb 4en kid beet meh.
Quarter Tones ?
Band: A Broken Promise

Guitar: EXP Les Paul Custom
Amp: Behringer VTone GMX210
FX: Line6 POD2.0
Fav. FX: Thats my Secret
..... smoother sound in general and it requires more skill to play one its all preference i guess
I am me. Live with it.
Dude, I think I just felt my IQ drop. Fretless basses have a completely different tone from fretted basses, and they require more focus on intonation when you're playing. It's also much smoother to play a fretless due to the lack of frets.

I'm going to take a stab and say that double basses don't have frets because there's no need. It's an old string instrument, just like the violin, viola, cello, etc. Frets were actually put on guitars, and then the idea was adopted when they came out with the electric bass.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I've got that right.
They are completely different, I turned my old bass into a fretless bass just to see what it would be like and it's quite different to play and sounds quite different too. It's nice to have a change at times...
Wow, I agree with Hergiswi here. Everyone is now dumber for reading this thread's responses. Anyway, the reason people play the fretless is simply this, unique sound. The reason uprights don't have frets is simply this, they weren't invented yet, and now it would just ruin the upright's sound.
Yeah main difference is tone. Fretless tone is sexy. I love it.

Another advantage: sliding harmonics!!!
Do you get a "Mwah" sound when playing a fretted instrument?

No. You don't.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Smidgelton
Yeah main difference is tone. Fretless tone is sexy. I love it.

Another advantage: sliding harmonics!!!

its the MWAH baby. No frets, no speed bumps. Every time I pick up my fretless I feel like I have been handed the sonic equivalent of god's own electric bass...
Quote by anarkee
its the MWAH baby. No frets, no speed bumps. Every time I pick up my fretless I feel like I have been handed the sonic equivalent of god's own electric bass...

Jaco was so right.

And like people have said, there a many advantages to playing fretless, the MWAH, the lack of speed bumps, the greater freedom in what you can play (i.e quater tones) and it improves your musical ear dramatically, instead of having the frets give you pretty much perfect intonation every time, you have to listen for the right note, and even if you're a smidge out it won't sound right. Generally I think it's a good thing for bassists to challenge themselves with when they feel ready.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
It's just preference....to say the least. Some like the fact that it takes a bit more practice to play, some like the sound (MWAAAH). Not really any "advantages" per se, but to each their own.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
You also automatically become 120x more hardcore when you play an unlined fretless electric bass in a technical fashion (ie Jaco, DiGiorgio, Manring)
I agree as well that a frettless bass gives a softer, warm tone when played and its a challenge due to the fact that about 99% of most bass players rely on frets for the sound
Putting frets on an upright would ruin the warm organic tone. It doesn't matter so much on electric because you play through an amp and electronics ruin the natural sound anyway. You wouldn't be able to do good vibratos on it because bending strings like you do on an electric bass can only make the note go higher. On an upright you can vibrato and move the note lower instead so it sounds more like a human voice. I'm sure there's many more reasons you wouldn't put frets on an upright and I'm sure it's been tried before and it failed. The octabass had frets on it but no one is ever going to play that instrument again.
Got Bass?
one word:

Vibrato
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
different tone and frets on an upright bass would be stupid. you would lose the tone of the upright bass completely.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Fretless bass has an altogether different tone, when played correctly. I can't thing of any song that more accurately conveys the difference than "Hey You" by Pink Floyd
Quote by Charlatan_001
You also automatically become 120x more hardcore when you play an unlined fretless electric bass in a technical fashion (ie Jaco, DiGiorgio, Manring)

Jaco had a lined fretless since he took out the frets and filled in the spaces.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
hmmm... no fret buzz ever

is fret buzz down to technique or your bass... or both ?
I got told it was your bass, but hey, could be wrong.

and does anyone know if fretless has better sustain or not?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Cut off all your fingers, and keep them in a freezer until your cravings stop, then go to hospital and have them sewn back on.

If you manage to smoke without fingers then you deserve a cigarette
Fretless definitely has worse sustain, though I'm sure you could buy a new bridge or something to make it a little better.
Quote by HiMyNameIsMatt
hmmm... no fret buzz ever

is fret buzz down to technique or your bass... or both ?
I got told it was your bass, but hey, could be wrong.

and does anyone know if fretless has better sustain or not?

mostly fret buzz is due to the action on the bass being off, or a neck bow, but if you aren't playing on the right spot on the bass (ie. directly on top of the fret, or right in the middle between two frets) then you will have some problems there, but it might not necessarily be fret buzz
Fretless instruments predated fretted instruments. The question shouldn't by why would one play a fretless bass, but why one would play a fretted bass. If anything, it's the fretted bass that has the disadvantages - most disadvantages that fretless instruments have were being dealt with for centuries before frets came into modern music. Why would you try to retrofit an upright bass with frets? Why not a violin then? Cello? Hell, why not put wings on a car?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by sinan90
Jaco had a lined fretless since he took out the frets and filled in the spaces.

I was referring more to the awesome playing, but I see your point.
Quote by thefitz
Fretless instruments predated fretted instruments. The question shouldn't by why would one play a fretless bass, but why one would play a fretted bass. If anything, it's the fretted bass that has the disadvantages - most disadvantages that fretless instruments have were being dealt with for centuries before frets came into modern music. Why would you try to retrofit an upright bass with frets? Why not a violin then? Cello? Hell, why not put wings on a car?

I do know of fretted violins

http://www.woodviolins.com/html/viper.html

However your point is still completely valid, but instruments do evolve to suit peoples needs, but no one needs a fretted double bass when you have the fretted bass guitar.
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Last edited by Double Basser at Nov 7, 2007,
Well The main reason I choose to defret my bass, was for a refresh. I was looking for a new sound and I love the mellow sound so I figured i should defret my bass. Or if you are thinking of quiting on bass (shame on you) you can defret so you can get a new start on it. And It makes you somewhat better.
Quote by Double Basser
I do know of fretted violins

http://www.woodviolins.com/html/viper.html

However your point is still completely valid, but instruments do evolve to suit peoples needs, but no one needs a fretted double bass when you have the fretted bass guitar.

Dude those violins are sexy.
The worst part about bumping an almost 10 year old thread is that I really want to correct the dummies that actually thought that upright basses were fretless because they were invented before frets. That's hilarious.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.