Hey guys

Just a quick question - I'm fixing an amp and it looks like one of the capacitors has gone. However its a style I've not seen before... it looks like a resistor but with a pale/mint green body rather than the usual resistor colour. Can't see these on my usual supplier - would a normal ceramic disc capacitor be a suitable replacement, or is there something special about these resistor-style ones?

Thanks!
it's prolly an electrolytic cap, meaning you just gotta make sure you put the + with the + and the - with the - or else it'll seriously blow up hahah.
Quote by Crimson_tornado
Hey guys

Just a quick question - I'm fixing an amp and it looks like one of the capacitors has gone. However its a style I've not seen before... it looks like a resistor but with a pale/mint green body rather than the usual resistor colour. Can't see these on my usual supplier - would a normal ceramic disc capacitor be a suitable replacement, or is there something special about these resistor-style ones?

Thanks!
That sounds like a "Bumblebee" or more likely, something similar to it.

Paper in oil. High quality. Hard to find and VERY expensive these days.

Most of the ones I've seen were brown, but I vaguely remember seeing some in green.

Sprague - Bumblebee identification chart

A ceramic disk will "work" but might not be the best choice.

Depending on the size, a Polyester or Mylar would be decent choices.

http://members.aol.com/sbench102/caps.html
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I would think that as long as you get a capacitor of the same value, and connect the poles the right way, you'll be fine.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
That sounds like a "Bumblebee" or more likely, something similar to it.

Paper in oil. High quality. Hard to find and VERY expensive these days.

Most of the ones I've seen were brown, but I vaguely remember seeing some in green.

A ceramic disk will "work" but might not be the best choice.

Depending on the size, a Polyester or Mylar would be decent choices.

Cheers mate, but I'm not so sure... its a recent bit of kit, probably about 5 -10 years old.

I'll try and get a pic up here soon. Thanks for the help so far!
I read your OP again. You mentioned looking like resistors, so I had immediately thought of colored bands to indicate value. But YOU didn't mention anything at all about bands.

Here are some film / foil caps made by Solen. (teflon / tin)
They have a cylindrical body, and axial leads, like a resistor has:

Is this closer to what you're describing?

btw, here's the page on Solen's website:

http://www.solen.ca/caps/fet.htm
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Nope sorry mate, when I say they look like resistors, they look exactly like resistors. Same size, shape, with coloured bands, just a different body colour. I'll try and get a pic up, difficult to get one to focus properly though
Try taking it out and measuring it's resistance with a DMM- if it's a cap it won't let any DC through, and the value will be something less than infinity if it's a resistor.
Yeah, tried that, definately a cap
Here's a couple of pics, nightmare to get a decent pic of though, I tried my best. Put a resistor next to it as well for comparison. Thanks guys