I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now. Originally i used to pick by moving my wrist, as i'm sure is standard. About 6/12 months ago i saw a video on YouTube where the guy picked by moving his thumb and forefinger rather than keeping them still and moving the wrist. So i tried to copy that and now that's solely how i pick and i'm now pretty bad at playing via wrist movement.

I just wanted to know whether anyone else keeps their wrist fairly stationary (not completely stationary obviously) and uses the thumb and forefinger for the movement of the pick?

Hopefully no one will say it leads to a greater risk of RSI and i don't get tired etc doing it.

Any comments?
Thanks.
Quote by denizenz
Good luck developing any kind of speed like that.

Yeah I agree, I tried to pick like that for a while but realized it wasn't going to work since I couldn't pick fast like that.
Well i actually find now that i can pick faster like that than by using my wrist (other than single string stuff) as i find changing strings a lot easier :S

Maybe i'll have to develop a hybrid style that is a blend of both.
Quote by toptone78
Well i actually find now that i can pick faster like that than by using my wrist (other than single string stuff) as i find changing strings a lot easier :S

Maybe i'll have to develop a hybrid style that is a blend of both.

Faster is a relative term. Picking faster then you did, and picking fast are two different things. Maybe it'll be fine for the style of music you want to play...
Quote by denizenz
Faster is a relative term. Picking faster then you did, and picking fast are two different things. Maybe it'll be fine for the style of music you want to play...

Okay, that's true. I also find that i have a better sense of (i.e. ability to play) rhythm. It's a tough decision, what to do, what to do.
Quote by denizenz
Good luck developing any kind of speed like that.

Also, there are other forums here than the Pit...you should check them out.

Copy this and you can't go wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGuNxeOSP4I

nah, you can still develop a really fast picking, ive seen a few people go pretty fast tremelo with finer picking.

except they use all 4 fingers.
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
hell, I could play bass for FOB but I'm not gay and I don't like eating babies

My gear:
Epiphone SG G-400
Takamine Jamsine Acoustic
VOX AD15VT
Digitech RP50
VOX Wah Pedal
Quote by SGuitarist33
nah, you can still develop a really fast picking, ive seen a few people go pretty fast tremelo with finer picking.

except they use all 4 fingers.

He's using a pick. He's just picking with all of the motion in his thumb and index finger rather than his wrist.
Just watched that video! If i could play half as fast as that i would be happy but i don't think i can stretch my little finger out far enough to do what he does (it tends to curl back in, not out if you know what a i mean).

Anyway, yeah he doesn't move his thumb/forefinger at all :S There must be some good guitar players that do.
Quote by toptone78
Just watched that video! If i could play half as fast as that i would be happy but i don't think i can stretch my little finger out far enough to do what he does (it tends to curl back in, not out if you know what a i mean).

Anyway, yeah he doesn't move his thumb/forefinger at all :S There must be some good guitar players that do.

I don't think so...that's why I said good luck. It would be impossible to play anywhere near that fast without moving your wrist. You waste too much energy and time.

About your finger...get a finger exerciser. Like this:

There are actually tendons that connect your pinky and ring fingers. You can stretch or even disconnect them with proper exercise, and you'll get better control and range of motion as the muscles grow stronger.