Just yesterday I played my Valve King and noticed it was making odd noises. I stopped playing and noticed it made these weird popping noises and occasionally made a high to low woosh sound. While I played it would kinda raise and lower in volume with every pop. It could be a cable or guitar problem but I was wondering about the burning smell after I went to turn it off. It never did that before, it wasn't a really bad smoke everywhere kinda thing but the fact it was slightly there after less than 10 mins of playing scared me. Does this mean my amp needs repairing somewhere or is it a normal tube amp thing?
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Ummm.... Burning and melting is never a good thing. If it's under warranty, go get that thing replaced.
it definitely is not normal for tube amps, nor does it sound like a guitar/cable issue. you may need new tubes. be sure to unplug it and discharge the filter caps before poking around inside, or just bring it to someone who knows what they're doing.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
I've had this
It's a power tube problem and they should be glowing very noticeably.

So chee if its under warrantee send it back and demand a new one or replacement valves to replace them with
This seems to be normal and completely expected of the valveking.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists
Then you should stop looking at only negative posts. There are PLENTY of good posts about the amp across the net.

And generally.. people who are satisfied with their amp don't post about it, they only post to complain.

EDIT: A lot of the guys who agree that the amp is bad say that because they spent $1k on an amp and say that to be sold so cheaply, the amp must suck. Only thing is... every publication that has reviewed it has had nothing but praise for it.

People are like sheep, they fall in line once someone takes a stand. Try it out yourself, check out the demos available to you, and actually research it.
Last edited by eXperiment63 at Nov 3, 2007,
^ I've owned one and used it extensively

For the price it's good (although a bit over priced in the uk) and i'll readily say to someone that it was a pretty good amp, but it did have a fair ammount of faults and many of the magazine reviews i've seen of it have focused totally on it being a valve amp for £350, in reality it's a pretty good amp, the 212 would be very useful for gigging but if you search round small companies it's possible to find something better
Quote by eXperiment63
Then you should stop looking at only negative posts. There are PLENTY of good posts about the amp across the net.

And generally.. people who are satisfied with their amp don't post about it, they only post to complain.

EDIT: A lot of the guys who agree that the amp is bad say that because they spent $1k on an amp and say that to be sold so cheaply, the amp must suck. Only thing is... every publication that has reviewed it has had nothing but praise for it.

People are like sheep, they fall in line once someone takes a stand. Try it out yourself, check out the demos available to you, and actually research it.
Who the hell do you think you are?

There is no room for independent thinking on the internet.
In fact, there is no room for thinking at all.
How DARE you suggest the sheep not all fall into line.
Gallileo started with this same sort of heretical thinking.
Centuries later, people think that the universe doesn't revolve around the Earth.
You're nearly as dangerous as he was.

Heretic! Heretic, I say!

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Just of interest, if its a tube problem, why would it smoke? thats sounds more to me like a filter cap blew. Not saying the people who say its a tube issue are wrong, I'm just interested. Btw, I skipped the ValveKing because it was Made In China.... becoming glad I did.
As the power tubes can get ridiculously hot (up to sometihng like 200 degrees i remember) and so of course thats going to melt the workings of it and heat up the holder and cook it, plus the fuse if it pops can just make it smell a bit more
Sounds like the fuse, same thing happened to me. Just stick a new fuse in and see if that fixes your problem!
^ I think it'll be the tubes
When i had my VK the fuse went due to the tubes over laoding, which was followed by smoke and an acrid smell
many people seems to have blown their Valveking Fuse at one point or another. I just had to replace a fuse and it worked again. I must admit in fairness though, that before this incident, it sounded pretty fine.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists