hello,

i was wondering what effects you use for a distorted tone
3 weeks ago i buyed a g-major and there are lots of effects on it, but so far i only use it for clean tones....http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM01/Content/TC_Electronic/PR/G-Major-large.jpg
i heard that the compressor would be good for soloing- is that true?
hope you can help me out

mfg
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
um... a distortion pedal.
Gear
95' Fender Strat w/ Texas Specials
Crate 212xr
Fuzz Face
Crybaby
among other things
**** my english is ***
i have a engl fireball....i will never need any destortion in my whole life again
no i wanted to know if you use any effects on an already destorted tone....like a compressor for example
my gear:

Cello?
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
You can use any effect really, most common is delay and reverb, especially foor lead tones. Zakk Wylde and others use a chorus on the distorted tones as well. Really whatever you think sounds good. Eddie Van Halen uses a phaser and flanger, tons of older bands use tremolo. Tom Morello uses tons of effects on distortion. Just play around and use whatever fits the song.

Compression with a distorted tone is usually used between the guitar and the amp, not in the effects loop like with a G Major, this makes it so with lower end distortion the signal doesn't clean up if you're sustaining a note, it stays at the same level.
Sure, try it out why not. I don't know what it'll do tone-wise...but your sustain should improve no matter what.
what exactly does a compressor to the tone?
and is it true that you shuld use one for soloing?
my gear:

Also, the pitch shifter is good for cool lead sounds.

From Amptone:
"Suppose you use power tube saturation with no preamp distortion. Sustain will be a major concern; notes will distort heavily for a very short time, then become clean too quickly. You could use a plain level boost, but that would just mean quick change from *very* saturated to *moderately* saturated as the note quickly fades. You could use an overdrive pedal, but it outputs some preamp distortion grit, which we are trying to completely avoid here. Using a compressor, we can keep the signal level, which is hitting the power tubes, at a constant level, even as the note fades away. Listening to a compressor directly, you will say that it's unmusical, stiff, artificial, choked. But when placed before a tube power amp, the amp's sweet tone completely converts the compressor sound into sweet-spot power-tube tone. You are using the compressor to hold the power tube at a constant degree of saturation, a constant level of saturation, while the note decreases."
A compressor kind of shifts the signal to a fixed volume, so that more quiet notes are made louder and louder notes are made more quiet...

Don't forget to try the Flanger...

EDIT: too slow with my explanation... ^^
Last edited by TomC87 at Nov 2, 2007,