OK, I was playing my Microcube at a band practice a couple of hours ago, hooked up to a cab which hangs around where we practice.

Basically, I put the volume to about 3/4 full and the sound would just completely break down. I don't mean the power amp not liking the cranking, I'm talking about the sound coming out of the amp being nonsensical. It was unplayable past a certain volume. I have reasonably high-powered pickups (Dimarzio D Sonic), could I have blown the pre-amp or something?

Please help... it's really not practival for me to see a tech around here, it'd have to wait a good two months until I got home and got to have a pro take a look at it.
how did you connect a micro cube to a cab.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Put a cable on the line out to the cab input, obviously. That's not the point; the cab wasn't doing it, when i un-cabbed it (that a word?) it was doing exactly the same. Fine on low volumes, but just turned into noise when I turned it up.
Quote by webbtje
Put a cable on the line out to the cab input, obviously. That's not the point; the cab wasn't doing it, when i un-cabbed it (that a word?) it was doing exactly the same. Fine on low volumes, but just turned into noise when I turned it up.

Well, you're not supposed to use a Microcube with a cab. Could using the cab have broken the speaker on the Microcube?
^How in the hell could that happen? It's not like a signal from the cab was going to the Cube's speaker.
Quote by webbtje

a line out isnt meant to run a cab. that's my point.

it's possible the speaker isnt working now because you were cranking it thru the cab.

a new speaker isnt expensive or hard to put in.

but also it's a modeler. so i dont know. maybe something inside it did blow.

usually loud volume noise is speaker tho.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Nov 2, 2007,
If it's a crap speaker then I'll sell the bloody thing. It's really useful for practicing, but I think I'm gonna swap it for multi-fx--> Valveking for Christmas. Cheers guys, sorry for getting pissed off, it's just that it's my only amp.
yeah, i mean, i thought that's what u meant, but i didnt want to jump to conclusions.

with out hearing for myself, i couldnt say 100% if a new speaker will cure ur problem. but i do know that many micro cube owners comment on the fragility of the stock speaker.

im a big believer in speaker upgrades. especially in practice amps.
look around i bet a speaker as small as that one wouldnt cost more than $30.

anyway. good luck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Meh, figured you'd be from US. Sorry, can't help you there. Try googling or something.
Quote by Fama
Meh, figured you'd be from US. Sorry, can't help you there. Try googling or something.

From Canada actually! But I am not too worried about it. My Microcube sounds just fine right now. I am getting a Traynor Combo soon, and quite possibly a hot rodded EPI VJ, for practising/recording. I will then only be using the cube for playing at work/sitting beside the couch. Not a need for an upgraded speaker. Unless it was cheap!
tedweber.com

or a cheap eminence speaker off MF
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62