So solid matter cannot go through solid matter, less a chemical change takes place and they either merge or change in shape, allowing the other object to go through it...so how is it that a heavy ball could crush through soil, when thrown hard enough?
I'm gonna drive all night, take some speed. I'm gonna wait for the sun to shine down on me. I cut a hole in my roof in the shape of a heart snf I' goin' out west where they'll appreciate me"

Click this if you like men!
the heavy ball has enough kinetic energy to compress/displace to soil
Last edited by seljer at Nov 2, 2007,
Quote by zwart_gitaar
So solid matter cannot go through solid matter, less a chemical change takes place and they either merge or change in shape, allowing the other object to go through it...so how is it that a heavy ball could crush through soil, when thrown hard enough?

It just means that atoms can't go through other atoms. Not lifesize objects. I mean anything that has enough energy can pass through almost anything else.
Quote by denizenz
It doesn't go through the soil, it displaces it.

What he said. It breaks parts of the soil away from each other, creating space.

Two solids can't pass through each other without one of them deforming/breaking
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
In Soviet-Russia, the soil displaces you.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
because the ball is more dense than the thing it is being thrown at
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Solids are not 'solid.' In fact 99% of everything you can touch is pure emptiness and space. The nucleus is about the size of say like a football sitting on the 50 yard line inside the stadium, with the outer perimeter of said stadium being where the e- swarm around. The nucleus is the only thing really considered in giving an object a mass, yet it takes up so little space that literally anything can be compressed like dirt... it just gets mashed into a smaller space is all. And because so much of this is space, with enough force and a large enough mass and density you can literally shoot things through objects. Like a pole through the moon, if you had enough energy, and it was a huge ass pole that wouldn't be obliterated on impact. Let's put it this way, if you could somehow infuse light with the slightest mass, yet keep its speed at like 99% of its normal velocity, it = super weapon.

It deals with the space between the atoms, the type of atoms present, and the mass and velocity and density of the objects being brought togather with some kind of force.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Quote by zwart_gitaar

It deplaces the soil, it doesn't go trough it. But read some stuff about quantummechanics, it says when you try hard enough and long enough you can walk trough a wall.
Quote by Shea Donoghue
"WHY DON'T YOU JUST F*CK OFF?!" So I ran up to her face and went "FINE, I F*CKING WILL" and stuck my hands down my pants and started masturbating. My friends were pissing themselves laughing while she just went "JESUS CHRIST"
its pretty much the same concept as punching through a glass window. your hand doesnt really go through the glass, it just moves it out of the way.
Quote by daytripper75
its pretty much the same concept as punching through a glass window. your hand doesnt really go through the glass, it just moves it out of the way.

from physics point of view, glass is a liquid
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Quote by HuckIt
from physics point of view, glass is a liquid

It's an amorphous solid.

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
the soil isnt actually traveling through the ball it just moves to make space for the more dense ball.
There is no chemical bond between the soil particles. Soil, sand, etc., they are small, macroscopic particles that feel no net attraction to one another. The 'heavy ball' is presumably made up of many molecules chemically attracted to one another.

A better question is 'why is ice slippery?'
two surfaces in contact cause friction, friction causes heat, which then melts a thin layer of water on the ice making it slippery.