Page 1 of 3
I've been playing guitar or a year or two now, and i need a bigger amp to cope with the gigs and stuff. I already know i am going to get a marshall, but i can't decide which one, i need something for about 4-600 pounds that is 100-150 watts.

Can anyone help?

Cheers
Blues King
lol@u
You don't need 100W to gig unless you're getting a solid state amp, which you shouldn't.
Why does it have to be a Marshall?
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
If it doesnt have to be a marshall, and you want a blues amp, look into fender tube amps, blues junior might be to small to gig with, unless you mic it. Maybe a fender hot rod deluxe.
reach in the darkness for what you can find travel great distance in your mind.
Maybe he's settled on getting the Marshall tone?

You certainly don't need over 100 watt!!!

Look for a used JCM800, they should be in that price range, either the combos or a a head and cab!

AWESOME amp, if you want the Marshall sounds!
Quote by kyrreca
You don't need 100W to gig unless you're getting a solid state amp, which you shouldn't.

hey not everyone is willing to have a ridiculously heavy amp for good tone, you know
a jazz chorus would pwn the hell out of some tube amps.

Quote by stanleybach
Why does it have to be a Marshall?

because some people, like me, love the typical marshall tone which an amp different from a marshall can't deliver. no, an orange can't either.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Nov 2, 2007,
I love vintage Marshall tube amps. I had a few in my day and wish I still had one.

If your going to get a Marshall go with a tube. I have nothing against the SS ones but after having tube ones I would just rather have a tube Marshall.
I am always hoping to find a deal (cheap) on a vintage one and if I do I will get another. Every once in a while you'll find someone who has no idea what it's worth. I missed out on two in the last year. A head for $200.00 that didn't work and another half stack for $400.00 it looked like hell but was told it was inperfect working condition. I was too late for both by one phone call. I even offered more than the asking price but niether seller would bite.

John
Quote by The red Strat.
hey not everyone is willing to have a ridiculously heavy amp for good tone, you know
a jazz chorus would pwn the hell out of some tube amps.

because some people like me, love the typical marshall tone which an amp different from a marshall can't deliver. no, an orange can't either.

Well, you won't get the "typical Marshall tone" with an MG or an AVT.

TS, how about an Orange Rocker 30 combo? Loud enough for gigs, and very Marshall-y tones.
Quote by kyrreca
Well, you won't get the "typical Marshall tone" with an MG or an AVT.

TS, how about an Orange Rocker 30 combo? Loud enough for gigs, and very Marshall-y tones.

true, but when I talk about marshall tone, i'm talking about the marshall tube amps
Yeah, i love the marshall tone and things? are you sure i won't need to have more than 100 w? my bass player has about 600 or something absolutely ridiculous which he dosent need and the drummer is pretty loud too? what kind of wattage are we talking? like 50 or so?
lol@u
Quote by The red Strat.
true, but when I talk about marshall tone, i'm talking about the marshall tube amps

But that's why I said he should get a tube, not a solid state...
No "Marshall tone" without tubes, no matter how practical and lightweight solid state amps might be.

Quote by Blues_King431
Yeah, i love the marshall tone and things? are you sure i won't need to have more than 100 w? my bass player has about 600 or something absolutely ridiculous which he dosent need and the drummer is pretty loud too? what kind of wattage are we talking? like 50 or so?

If you get a solid state amp, you'll need around 100W to gig.
If you get a tube amp, you'll need 30-50W to gig.
i have 30 watts now, and i have problems being heard, and the other guys have to turn down for me
lol@u
Quote by Blues_King431
i have 30 watts now, and i have problems being heard, and the other guys have to turn down for me

What kind of amp do you have right now?
Quote by Blues_King431

Yeah, but is it tube or SS? A tube amp is going to be 2-3 times louder than an SS of similar wattage and speakers. Also, the number, size, etc. of your speakers make a huge difference in volume.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Quote by kyrreca
No "Marshall tone" without tubes, no matter how practical and lightweight solid state amps might be.

fair enough
right now i have a carlsboro 30w combo, i think it is SS, i'm not sure though, i need to check it up
lol@u
Quote by Blues_King431
right now i have a carlsboro 30w combo, i think it is SS, i'm not sure though, i need to check it up

i believe carlsbro only makes SS amps.

what are your genres ?
i play alot of electric blues type stuff mainly, but i also play some more rocky stuff with the band
lol@u
TS, you are really getting in over your head. You really don't seem to know much about the guitars or amp yet you are ready to drop lots of money for good ones. I suggest you save your money untill you understand the basics. Keep reading everything you can about amps here on UG. Go to harmony central and read the information they have there too, and go to you local (and not so local) music shops and play everything you can. If you don't realize that bass amps need to be at least 4 times more powerful than guitar amps then you don't know enough to make an informed choice about what amp is right for you. Sure you could get advise about what we think would be good, but what if you spend 600 quid on an amp because we thought it would be good for you, only to find out that it isn't right for you at all.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't go spend your money on a good marshall. I'm just saying that you shouldn't trust us to tell you what to get. Go out and learn as much as you can before you make your own mind up.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
TS, you are really getting in over your head. You really don't seem to know much about the guitars or amp yet you are ready to drop lots of money for good ones. I suggest you save your money untill you understand the basics. Keep reading everything you can about amps here on UG. Go to harmony central and read the information they have there too, and go to you local (and not so local) music shops and play everything you can. If you don't realize that bass amps need to be at least 4 times more powerful than guitar amps then you don't know enough to make an informed choice about what amp is right for you. Sure you could get advise about what we think would be good, but what if you spend 600 quid on an amp because we thought it would be good for you, only to find out that it isn't right for you at all.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't go spend your money on a good marshall. I'm just saying that you shouldn't trust us to tell you what to get. Go out and learn as much as you can before you make your own mind up.

plus one.

that's what i was thinking too, but just because he doesn't know bass amps need to have more power doesn't mean he's not knowledgeble at all...
but i do agree.

that said TS, get a Marshall Bluesbreaker
Quote by kyrreca

A 15w valve amp is also a great gigging option, if you don't ever need cleans. 30w+ will have the clean headroom but 15w you'll be able to crank to a perfect OD volume.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
true, but TS plays a lot of blues so i assume he needs a fair bit of clean gigging volume too.

around 30 watts valve for small gigs would be perfect for the TS IMO.
Well possibly, but remember a lot of blues is dirty too and 30 watts is also damn loud. But IMO 15-30w is the best range for a gigging lower-gain amp
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
but just because he doesn't know bass amps need to have more power doesn't mean he's not knowledgeble at all...

I wasn't trying to imply he didn't know anything. Just that I think he has more to learn before he can make a truely informed choice. I mean, if you don't know what wattage sounds good for what types of music and want wattage works for different frequencies then how are you supposed to know how powerful you need your amp to be? The right wattage isn't just about how loud you can go. Higher wattage also gives you tighter bass, more headroom, brighter high end... We can tell him that he doesn't need more than 50 watts but what if he needs the headroom of a 150? Or what if he would really be best off with a browner sounding 20 watt? Part of understanding what you need means understanding how different power raitings shape your tone and then knowing how to make the right power raiting loud enough to work for you at a volume that is right. It can all get very complicated and when you have enough direction then it can lead to the wrong choice.
cool, i didn't know about power ratings shaping your tone, i knew about ohms and stuff but thanks for the advice
lol@u
oh and finally

and go to you local (and not so local) music shops and play everything you can.

have you ever been to braintree music shops? they are all run by fascists who think if you touch a guitar you are ripping the pickups out and stealing the neck, so its not really an option
lol@u
do you mean the pedal? Bluesbreaker is also the best blues amp ever, I think $2,500 american dollars for one.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
i mean the pedal, but i would like a bluesbreaker amp, unfortunately i don't have that kind of money available seeing as all my money goes towards guitar strings and fish filters.....
lol@u
Quote by Blues_King431
oh and finally

have you ever been to braintree music shops? they are all run by fascists who think if you touch a guitar you are ripping the pickups out and stealing the neck, so its not really an option

Then go to another town and look at them there. Even if you have to travel an hr or 2... 600 quid 80hrs wages for most people, it's worth the trip to know what you are getting.
For your blues taste, there are a ton of amps in your price range. I would not target anything by Marshall unless you have $800. Used, you can probably find a Fender Hot Rod for $450, Pro Jr. will overpower your drummer though, so I wouldn't be worried.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Ah, I see. Well, you could always build a kick a$$ blues tube amp. If not that, save up for a Fender Deluxe Reverb or a decent Marshall.

Have you looked into Laney's? I think the LC15 is $400 here in USA, not sure how much it is there, but they are made in England, so I am assuming cheaper or at least the same.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
How would i go about building an amp, just out of interest?

i am looking into laneys right now, but they seem to be a more metal amp, is this so?
lol@u
Quote by Blues_King431
How would i go about building an amp, just out of interest?

i am looking into laneys right now, but they seem to be a more metal amp, is this so?

YOU dont (Id advise against it). You would be messing with electronics at a pretty high voltage so you dont wanna be doing that unless youre damn sure what youre doing.

Btw I have a Marshall jcm 900 4501 and Im very happy with that. You might wanna check out a used marshall jcm 800/900 combo. Just make sure its YOUR sound, not just what people recommended you get.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
lol!

2 years and u want a 100W marshall.

you're a funny guy. have u ever tried a 100W tube amp? it'll blow your ass away, they're normally played for big gigs or even arena situations.

I can understand because Hendrix used big ass marshalls but go into a shop and actually try the amps and decide what you need.

Don't blow a load of money just to get an amp cus your idol had, you might find an amp that's not a marshall and you prefer.

Unless you need it, don't get it.
Last edited by walidb123 at Nov 3, 2007,
Quote by stephen_rettie
marshall DSL401
seriously 150w of tubes?? thats just obnoxious

+1 that amp is ****ing loud. 150W of tube will fill a stadium. if you were playin stadiums i doubt you'd be askin UG for advice. go with the DSL. It's got great tone(the combo)
Last edited by British_Steal at Nov 3, 2007,
I use my Marshall jcm 900 4501 on low power mode (25watt) and need to keep the volume down to prevent every1 from going deaf in under a minute. If Id turn it up on 50watt mode, I imagine you wouldnt wanna be in the same friggin room cos even 25watt marshall valve power is

FRIGGIN LOUD HMKAY
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
im gunna go with Brandon Marshall on the Denver Broncos
Quote by Andjustice.....

i could see that being liek a sign at an entrace to a theme park ,"remember to always be safe dont litter and remember to have a nice day in my pants!"

Quote by Robbie n strat
"If you listen really carefully, you can hear carrots scream when you cut them."
Page 1 of 3