Right then

For my growing arsenal of guitars
and my plans for the amount i'm going to build
it occured to me i need somewhere to keep them all

So. . .

My plan is to build a double tierd guitar stand, 6 on the top, 6 on the bottom.
Made out of MDF, lined with some felt, or short haired fur. Not sure what to do with the outside, and also have some deep red lighting inside to make the whole thing glow. Think it'll look slick

But my worry is will MDF take the weight of all the guitars? because the weight of 6 electrics isn't light. And if they can't, what alternative matericals (chep) could be used?
A breif design of the stand is below:

Also, is there anything else that could go wrong with this?
um, if you dont have a strong enough metal, then it will colapse and all 12 guitars will be destroyed....u wont even know which fretboard goes on which neck, which neck on which guitar....

worst case scenario right there
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Quote by icon_player_5
um, if you dont have a strong enough metal, then it will colapse and all 12 guitars will be destroyed....u wont even know which fretboard goes on which neck, which neck on which guitar....

worst case scenario right there

Exactly my worry!
I think MDF should be strong enough for the job, although don't quote me on that.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
i'd probs use something like pine. But MDF might be ok. are you using biscuit joints to hold it together?
My worry about MDF is that it may not be able to hold any screws without the holes getting stripped. Another thing to think about when using MDF is that it's heavier than masonite, plywood, and OSB, because of all the glue.

Plywood or even Oriented Stand Board (OSB) would work, and wouldn't be that much more expensive. You could even do plywood for the large, flat areas and use pine for the longer parts of the build.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
actually, pine would be a good idea, because as well as being stronger, it will also match the rest of the room

And not sure on the jointing, i was concerned about the mdf splitting aswell
so i was just going to put a small block of wood insdie where i was screwing to hold it together.
Pine frame with MDF sheeting. I'd say pine board but for a lot of surface area it can get surprisingly expensive from DIY stores.

Also, stability might be an issue with your double stack idea. A lot of weight high up. If you're not going to be moving the rack about you should consider anchoring it to the wall at the top just to stop it tipping over.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
alright cheers

Well i'll be starting on this very soon, so i'll post pics when its stared
Quote by TomR
Right then

For my growing arsenal of guitars
and my plans for the amount i'm going to build
it occured to me i need somewhere to keep them all

So. . .

My plan is to build a double tierd guitar stand, 6 on the top, 6 on the bottom.
Made out of MDF, lined with some felt, or short haired fur. Not sure what to do with the outside, and also have some deep red lighting inside to make the whole thing glow. Think it'll look slick

But my worry is will MDF take the weight of all the guitars? because the weight of 6 electrics isn't light. And if they can't, what alternative matericals (chep) could be used?
A breif design of the stand is below:

Also, is there anything else that could go wrong with this?

that'll be cool i should tell my bass teacher about that, all he has is cases for every individual bass
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
Good plan. I would use plywood for the large, flat areas, and pine for the structural part. Using blocks to screw into on all your inside corners is a great idea.

Just some things always to remember,

Pilot holes on EVERYTHING!

Measure twice cut once

Glue and screw

And never buy crap to save money! You'll always pay in the end.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Do NOT use mdf, overtime with that much weight theres too much risk that It will break. Its not a very strong material.
Exactly, and if, by any chance it gets wet, that stuff swells up like Oprah at a buffet (OH PLUS ONE!) Also it really can't grip screws, and you need special blades to cut it.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Started building today.
Turns out, we have nothing to do in our A level product design, as we've done all our work early, so we've been given 15 hours to build what ever we want using any of the tools we have, which is, alot.
But in order to be able to get it from school to home, i will need to build it in 2 separate parts (Two 6 guitar stands) which will then be able to stack on top of each other. This also means each half is lighter and easier to move around if needed, also, could lay them side by side if i wanted too.

Anyway. i have used a mix of hardwoods i've found lying around at school, as well as some MDF for the middle shelf where the guitars will lye, as there will be no strain here. I think the outer frame is birch although not 100% on that.
The outer edge of one of the stands is done, with lap joints or each of the corners, but the cut outs of the middle shelf still needs to be done, will post pics when i can