Page 1 of 2
so sup dudes and dudettes? i finally started my group, im the lead guitarist, and i also have a rythm guitarist,

so lets get to the point, i have an ESP EX-50 with the lh-150 pickups in it

i have a digitech rp80 and a line6 spider III, i hate spiders as much as anyone else in UG, but it was free and it is better than my old amp, ion 10 watts piece of crap

im gonna be getting a job next semester, and i wanna change my rig, pretty much everything cept the guitar, cause i love it

i wanna get a pedal board, cause im a bit skeptical about multi effects pedals, and also i like to mess around with the knobs a little, so i was thinking for my effects

Crybaby wah wah ( not decided which one )
boss mt-2 metal zone
Boss ce-5 chorus ensemble
Boss ac-3 acoustic simulator
Boss bf-3 phaser

and a new amp donno which one

i know it is a bit expensive, but i need it because we are gonna be gigging soon, and my buddies friend has a freaking recording studio, so free studio hours

we are not really one of those typical hardcore bands who will go screaming all day and night, and hurt your ears, we are more into stuff like zeppelin, hendrix, queen, metallica, pantera, red hot chili peppers

we are also going to be playing stuff like incubus, which is funk rock,
and we are going to have a couple of heavy songs but no screaming but like really heavy guitar parts
it sounds like you definately need a tube amp.........one thing i would seriously consider is saving up for as good as you can get........dont go cheap just to get something...........look into a used peavey 5150 or a used marshall...probably get a decent deal that way.
don't bother with all those effects, just get a JCM800 or something like that.
how bout mesa?
and 3nemy, can a jcm actually trigger those effects? cause i havent had much experience with bigboy amps
Amp wise, you will probably want to go tube.

Crate V50
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V50112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487054

Crate V18 2x12
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18212-18W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487055

Laney LC15
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Laney-LC15-15W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481329

Peavey Classic 30
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481014

put an OD pedal in front of any of those, and you can get a decent metal tone, they'll do anything less gainy then that perfectly on their own.

also look into a used Peavey 5150 or a used Marshall JCM
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
personally i dont mind the line 6 spider III, its clarity remains when blasting the volume. they may have went a bit crazy with all of the features, but with celestion speakers and quality effects(good or bad in amount, you decide) for whatever playing style. i have heard that some people believe it sounds to proccessed, unnatural even. for the price it is a good amp, make sure to reconsider before you rid yourself of it for good. one thing is that, its lowest volume is still pretty damn loud, not good if you live with others

mesa boogie make good amps, especially for recording.
well sunds like youve had better experience with it than i have, when i blasted it to get over the drums, the feedback killed my ears for about a week, but its not THAT bad of an amp, and its still going to be my little practice amp
well jsut looked up the links cobain, they are pretty good, but im actually considering a jcm now, so which one would you suggest that i get? the 600 ? 800? 900? and if i do get one then should i get a combo or a stack?
I tend to always recommend a Mesa Single rectifier or Dual Rectifier. So, get one if you can :]

Mesa isn't always the best choice though, especially for a first tube head. They're complicated, and in my personal experience it is hard to find the right settings.

I think you should look at a Carvin MTS or B 52 for a dark-sounding distortion, or if you're more of a midrange guy, a Marshall JCM 800 or a JCM 900.

I'll look back here in a few minutes and see if I can offer any more suggestions.

EDIT:
Quote by sum_ugly_man
well jsut looked up the links cobain, they are pretty good, but im actually considering a jcm now, so which one would you suggest that i get? the 600 ? 800? 900? and if i do get one then should i get a combo or a stack?

I haven't ever heard or played a 600, and I wouldn't expect it to be that great but don't quote me on that. I have no experience with them.

The 800 is more of a 'classic crunch' amp, with an overdrive pedal they are pretty sick sounding.

The 900 is like an 800 pushed farther. They have a lot of chunky midrange roar to them. The Marshall amps won't have as much gain as a Boogie or Peavey 5150, but it makes up for it with its tone.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Last edited by chase312 at Nov 2, 2007,
well i am 16, and this is going to be my first time working so i guess i am a midrange guy so chase can you give me a link to any of the jcms? and mesa is awesome and yes i guess youre right, but isn't it tough to find the right settings or every amp? well maybe thats just me...meh its me cause i suck at eq-ing
Yeah, I'll post the links to Musicians Friend so you can see them and stuff. If you're really interested in buying one, don't buy it new. Get it off ebay. Trust me, it's worth it.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
i know i dont wanna spend any extra money when i can get it for wayy cheaper, like i said midrange lol, and my band isnt that famous yet, we havent even started gigging because we don't have any stage worthy gear
I looked on MF and they seem to have taken those amplifiers off their site. I'll find you something though.

When I said midrange, I didn't mean it as in the JCM 900 isn't as good as a Mesa. I meant the tone. It has more mids, and it's brighter.

Sorry for confusion.

JCM 900's usually go for about $700 used. The single channel 800 [a real one from the 80's] will cost at least $1000. The newer two chan version will cost around $800 used if you find one.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
we are not really one of those typical hardcore bands who will go screaming all day and night, and hurt your ears, we are more into stuff like zeppelin, hendrix, queen, metallica, pantera, red hot chili peppers

haha

gto for a Classic 30 and get a pedal and you can get SUPER good cleans-Metal.
Quote by leeej
stay away from boss...trust me...

I agree. I don't like any of your pedal selections.

Quote by sum_ugly_man
Crybaby wah wah ( not decided which one )
boss mt-2 metal zone
Boss ce-5 chorus ensemble
Boss ac-3 acoustic simulator
Boss bf-3 phaser

Anything with "metal" in te name is usually a problem, save maybe the EHX Metal Muff. The Jekyll & Hyde is another great OD/distortion. The EHX Small Clone or Visual Sounds H2O is much nicer than the CE-5. An acoustic simulator is a waste of money. The phaser's alright, but maybe look into the EHX or MXR versions, instead.

And a Vox wah, baby!

Quote by sum_ugly_man

First off, the 5150 (or 6505) is NOT for you. You need some cleans.

A quality all around tube combo would suit your needs very well. If you're loving the Marshall, the DSL401 ain't bad. An Orange Rocker 30 or a Traynor YCV 50 Blue would probably be better. Orange is expensive, but out-Marshall's Marshall on a regular basis, and the Traynor does an excellent Marshall impersonation for a lot less money. Even something like a Peavey Classic 30/50 would do most of what you're looking for with the right pedal pushing it (read: not a Metal Zone!).
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
I agree. I don't like any of your pedal selections.

Anything with "metal" in te name is usually a problem, save maybe the EHX Metal Muff. The Jekyll & Hyde is another great OD/distortion. The EHX Small Clone or Visual Sounds H2O is much nicer than the CE-5. An acoustic simulator is a waste of money. The phaser's alright, but maybe look into the EHX or MXR versions, instead.

And a Vox wah, baby!

First off, the 5150 (or 6505) is NOT for you. You need some cleans.

A quality all around tube combo would suit your needs very well. If you're loving the Marshall, the DSL401 ain't bad. An Orange Rocker 30 or a Traynor YCV 50 Blue would probably be better. Orange is expensive, but out-Marshall's Marshall on a regular basis, and the Traynor does an excellent Marshall impersonation for a lot less money. Even something like a Peavey Classic 30/50 would do most of what you're looking for with the right pedal pushing it (read: not a Metal Zone!).

yessir, but i have no actual experience with bigboy pedals like i said before, and im really confused at the moment, so um can you give me a link tot he marshall amp? because there are soo many amps

and what should i consider for my combo's watts? 50 or 100? we are going to start by playing in a couple of bars and small venues
It ain't cheap: Marshall DSL401

Like I said, for that kinda money, I'd look into an Orange Rocker 30, instead. Or a great amp for a lot less money is the Traynor YCV50.

A 30W 1x12 combo will handle pretty much any gig. Any gig that requires a bigger amp than that should have a PA for you to mic it into. A great amp for even less is the Peavey Classic 30. I gig with one, keeping the volume around "4." Fills a bar, no problem.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
so youre telling me that all those amps will be giving me almost the same kind of sound but the only difference is in the price eh?
Of all of them, I think the Marshall is the most overpriced. The Orange is an awesome amp, and as a result costs an awesome amount.

But yeah, the YCV50 and Classic 30 will certainly come pretty close in tone for a lot less money.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
hmm nice, so um im actually considering the traynor now, it is not the cheapest one you advised but it sounds reasonable

and um, what do you suggest for my delay, wah chorus and clean sound?

i know you said vox, but which one?
Peavey Classic 30 I'd say. If you wanted to go all out, a JSX would suit you perfectly.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by sum_ugly_man
hmm nice, so um im actually considering the traynor now, it is not the cheapest one you advised but it sounds reasonable

and um, what do you suggest for my delay, wah chorus and clean sound?

i know you said vox, but which one?

If they were the same price, I'd prefer the Traynor to the Marshall. The fact that you can get it for so much less is just a huge bonus, IMHO.

I listed some pedals up top. I like the Vox V847A as a wah, and the EHX Deluxe Memory Man for delay, but a lot of people prefer digital delays. I don't know enough about them to suggest one. The Visual Sound H2O might be able to cover your chors and delay needs. It's a sweet pedal.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
If they were the same price, I'd prefer the Traynor to the Marshall. The fact that you can get it for so much less is just a huge bonus, IMHO.

I listed some pedals up top. I like the Vox V847A as a wah, and the EHX Deluxe Memory Man for delay, but a lot of people prefer digital delays. I don't know enough about them to suggest one. The Visual Sound H2O might be able to cover your chors and delay needs. It's a sweet pedal.

thank you man you the best, so id better start working my ass off to get that traynor
yayyy slats saves the thread. +1 to whatever slats said
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
slats one more question should i go used or new for the traynor? i wanna get it new because its going to be my first tube amp and i want it to intact and in one piece

but its going to be tough to find one here in canada
JCM 800 imo.

Like one guy said earlier, a 5150/6505 is not for you if you want cleans. Mega ****ing beefy distortion, but the cleans are pretty lame. They're not terrible, but they really aren't all that incredible either.

Steer clear of the MT-2 aswell. Solid-State OR tube, that pedal will do you more harm than good, and it'll have your audience running away, covering their ears as they go.
Quote by sum_ugly_man
slats one more question should i go used or new for the traynor? i wanna get it new because its going to be my first tube amp and i want it to intact and in one piece

Actually, Traynor Amps are built in Canada. Just check out their dealers list on their website: http://www.traynoramps.com/

for pedals, I would seperate the chorus and delay instead of getting both in one.

EHX Small Clone and Deluxe Memory Man would set you perfect for delay and chorus.

Fulltone OCD, Ibanez TS-9, Maxon OD-9 would all be nice OD's to add to your amp.

For Classic Rock Fuzz, I really like the EHX Big Muff.

IMO though, I would wait till you get your amp till you look at pedals, because once you get your amp, you can try the pedal out on your amp before you buy the pedal. It may be annoying to take your amp in with you to test pedals, but it's hella worth it.
Quote by sum_ugly_man

They're made in Canada, there should be a couple lying around.

Still, I always suggest buying used if it's an option for you. Great way to save A LOT of money. Just about all of my amps were purchased second hand. Got My AC30 and Deluxe Reverb both for less than half the list price. Most people take care of their gear, and most musicians aren't dicks. You usually get a fair deal dealing used. I find that paying about 2/3 the price of a new amp for a mint used amp is usually about right. Well worth looking into.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Still, I always suggest buying used if it's an option for you. Great way to save A LOT of money. Just about all of my amps were purchased second hand. Got My AC30 and Deluxe Reverb both for less than half the list price. Most people take care of their gear, and most musicians aren't dicks. You usually get a fair deal dealing used. I find that paying about 2/3 the price of a new amp for a mint used amp is usually about right. Well worth looking into.
slats speaketh the truth....
At this moment I genuinely can't think of a reason to buy an ampifier new. As long as you're sensible and think things through before buying you can pick up some amazing deals!

On to pedals, the Visualsound is very nice, and also have a look at either the Carl Martin Red Repeat or -if you can afford it- DeLayla . If you prefer your delay digitalized, the Boss DD-3 will do fine. For chorus, EHX have recently reissued the Stereo Polychorus, and the Maxon CS-9 is also a great choice. For the kind of stuff you're playing I don't think you need a balls-to-the-wall ditortion pedal, any half-decent overdrive will do the job. Have a go at some of the many Tubescreamer-esque pedals around, and maybe try something a little rougher like an MXR GT-OD or a ProCo Rat. The Metal Muff is great fun too.
one last question, i went to the traynor website and listened to some of the audio samples and i head the "ugly rock" sample on the custom special 100h, and i really loved that sound, would i be able to get that from the custom blue model?
I can't promise you that, but both amps are EL34 driven, which is also a big part of the signature Marshall sound you were looking for earlier...

So...

Yeah, I guess.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
I can't promise you that, but both amps are EL34 driven, which is also a big part of the signature Marshall sound you were looking for earlier...

So...

Yeah, I guess.

well thanks, cause i really like that distortion, and id definitely get the amp if it can do it, but are you sure? cause it is 800 $ here, new and used will cut down at least 200 but still expensive item, i dont wanna end up paying 500+ for an amp that can't give me the tone i like

EDIT: slats just looked it up on youtube and what i noticed is, the traynor is mostly for punk and hard rock, its not the cutting edge balls to the walls amp for metal bro, i want something with a nice low but still not drowning the highs, do you understand what im trying to say? the special 100H has a wicked tone, im really liking it, any ideas on an amp that can produce that kind of tone? but still the clean ones?
Last edited by sum_ugly_man at Nov 3, 2007,
Quote by sum_ugly_man
well thanks, cause i really like that distortion, and id definitely get the amp if it can do it, but are you sure? cause it is 800 $ here, new and used will cut down at least 200 but still expensive item, i dont wanna end up paying 500+ for an amp that can't give me the tone i like

EDIT: slats just looked it up on youtube and what i noticed is, the traynor is mostly for punk and hard rock, its not the cutting edge balls to the walls amp for metal bro, i want something with a nice low but still not drowning the highs, do you understand what im trying to say? the special 100H has a wicked tone, im really liking it, any ideas on an amp that can produce that kind of tone? but still the clean ones?

What kind of budget are you working with?

We have been throwing out budget amps from $200-$600, and for a "balls to the wall" metal amp that still has good cleans, you will need a good $1000 or so.

The Traynor 50 Blue should be able to get the same tone as the 100H, it will just have to be pushed a little bit harder.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
What kind of budget are you working with?

We have been throwing out budget amps from $200-$600, and for a "balls to the wall" metal amp that still has good cleans, you will need a good $1000 or so.

The Traynor 50 Blue should be able to get the same tone as the 100H, it will just have to be pushed a little bit harder.

pushed a bit harder = more damage to the tubes am i right?

well i dont relaly care what the price is as long as its not more than a grand and a half, and like you and slats said "used" is the best way to go, so im going to go used, and probably change the tubes if they are worn out or anything, and dont really have a budget because im going to be working for it, for the next semester, so atleast 7 bucks an hour and atleast 7 hours a week, well thats just the minimum, im going to work more if i have after school and my practice
Quote by sum_ugly_man
pushed a bit harder = more damage to the tubes am i right?

well i dont relaly care what the price is as long as its not more than a grand and a half, and like you and slats said "used" is the best way to go, so im going to go used, and probably change the tubes if they are worn out or anything, and dont really have a budget because im going to be working for it, for the next semester, so atleast 7 bucks an hour and atleast 7 hours a week, well thats just the minimum, im going to work more if i have after school and my practice

pushed harder just means you turn up the volume more, or push the power amps into a harder/deeper overdrive.

for less than $1500, you just opened up many other doors.

Engl- http://www.engl-amps.com/index2.html

Engl Fireball
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Engl-Fireball-60W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481520

Engl Screamer
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Engl-Screamer-50W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481522

Marshall JCM2000 DSL50
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-JCM2000-DSL50-Head?sku=483128

grab an Avatar Cab http://www.avatarspeakers.com/ with any of those and you are set. The only problem might be getting your vintage tones.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
pushed harder just means you turn up the volume more, or push the power amps into a harder/deeper overdrive.

for less than $1500, you just opened up many other doors.

Engl- http://www.engl-amps.com/index2.html

Engl Fireball
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Engl-Fireball-60W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481520

Engl Screamer
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Engl-Screamer-50W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481522

Marshall JCM2000 DSL50
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-JCM2000-DSL50-Head?sku=483128

grab an Avatar Cab http://www.avatarspeakers.com/ with any of those and you are set. The only problem might be getting your vintage tones.

me likes the marshall and the engl fireball, but will i be able to achieve really hardocre distortion, because my band is going to be doing some hard **** too...not emo or screamo though...im not a huuge fan of it...cept for pantera...
Page 1 of 2