I'm after a versatile electric guitar, and so far I'm looking at a Fender American Strat HSS, and an Ibanez RG2550E. Ideally I want one with single coil and humbucker pickups, which is why these two have caught my eye.
Can anyone recommend anything else, or perhaps offer their views on these two guitars?

My playing style is mostly rock, of the harder variety, although I do vary it alot, hence I'm after a versatile guitar.

My budget is just about £800.
any Fender HSS strat will do.
the sound of your amp is more important.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
I love my Schecters.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
depends on what type of sound you want or what type of music you're playing, if you wanna do metal then the Strat is probably too twangy for you, in which case I would totally go for the Ibanez, but if you want to play more rock or blues type stuff then go for the Strat all the way
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
i personally own a fender american strat hss and its a phenomenally versatile guitar, i love it and will never need to buy another one again. I play both blues and metal so i need the single coil sound as well as the humbucker and this guitars sound for both of those styles, in my opinion are top notch. I don know much about the ibanez but if you want to play anything either than hard rock, aka blues or jazz you would probably want to go with the fender because of its versatility.
I am a huge fan of Ibanez. I think the make great guitars for the price. The Ibanez will likely be a bit of a darker and warmer tone. Based on what i read here http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG2550E it looks like it would also have higher gain pick ups.

The fender will be much brigter with more twang. It's really up to you, a good American strat will play just as good. I recomend going to a shop and playing. What ever feels right!
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
hey redneck... I like the gear your running, looks kinda familliar...
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Special-Mahogany-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511165

i own that HSS strat. has to be the most versatile guitar i have ever played. everything from jazz to blues to classic rock to hard rock sounds great on it. only thing is the bridge PU is a tad weak IMO (for hard rock and metal), so I would replace it (I'm going to drop in a SD as soon as I return to the US).
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Quote by teknotard
hey redneck... I like the gear your running, looks kinda familliar...

no kidding, did you get the artcore in transparent cherry?
and ive actually been lookin at the rocktron velocity for some more hard rock and metal tones, do you like it? and wtf is the difference betweent the 50d and the 50c?
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!