So I've been playing the guitar (6 string) for a couple of years and I decided I want to try something new. I've decided I might want to try out playing bass guitar. It looks cool, sounds cool, and everyone says it's a lot more fun than regular guitar.

So anyway, I was looking for a Bass+amp together that would be good for starters and will last into the intermediate stage (if I get good enough). My price range is around $500 for the two. I am also quite fond of the epiphone thunderbird body style.

Any suggestions?
Quote by pedalguy1
are you playing in a band or just playing for the sake of playing?

just jammin'
Do not buy a thunderbird, slap yourself for even suggesting it.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist

Oh god no i would never buy one, i just like that body style.
well if amp size and volume isn't going to be a factor, maybe just get a practice amp that sounds good and put more money into your instument.
Quote by SeveralSpecies

Ok, that's alright then.

Some clue as to what style of music you play would be nice. But without that knowledge, I would say go for a Squier Vintage Modified Precision or Jazz bass and look at Ashdown and Laney for amps.

Also can I just point out, there are hundreds of threads made by people in exactly the same situation as you, giving the search bar a chance wouldn't do any harm.
Quote by Bumper

Quote by pedalguy1
well if amp size and volume isn't going to be a factor, maybe just get a practice amp that sounds good and put more money into your instument.

yea Ill probably do that. Like spend 350 on the bass and 150 on the amp+accessories.
Quote by noahray
P bass

If you keep on posting that it's not going to encourage him to get a Precision bass, it's just going to annoy him.
Quote by Bumper

Quote by indie-bassist

To assist in reading between the lines here....a search on the bass forums will result in a plethora of posts about the countless issues with these basses. Odd body that makes the upper frets inaccessible, bad design / playability, neck dive and weight and high action from the factory.

Yes, they have their fans, and some are quite fond of their Tbirds, and if someone didn't love them Gibson / Epi would have given up on the line decades ago. But if you haven't played one yet--get to a store and do so and make sure the issues above aren't show stoppers for you. And while you're there, try out a bunch of other basses in your price range as well.
Quote by anarkee
To assist in reading between the lines here....a search on the bass forums will result in a plethora of posts about the countless issues with these basses. Odd body that makes the upper frets inaccessible, bad design / playability, neck dive and weight and high action from the factory.

Thanks for elaborating, I suppose I should have done that in the first place, anyway, is this another $5 to your Urge fund?
Quote by Bumper

Quote by indie-bassist
Thanks for elaborating, I suppose I should have done that in the first place, anyway, is this another $5 to your Urge fund?

Yes--the week was slow, but as the weekend approaches, more money goes in the pot...
In defence of the Thunderbird, I can say that the Epiphone is ****, though what about the real deal Gibson version?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
In defence of the Thunderbird, I can say that the Epiphone is ****, though what about the real deal Gibson version?

Seeing as it's Gibson, Im assuming it's great quality. Also since it's Gibson Im assuming I will have to sell a kidney to afford one.
go with whatever you want to play and what feels best to you dude. Read reviews and research on whatever you decided to buy and just go for it. These dudes that have responded to this are biased as hell.

Oh and by the way, the next person that sees Indie_bassist needs to smack him. How dare you tell someone to smack themselves over liking a bass shape. Loser.
Quote by ready2breakdown
Oh and by the way, the next person that sees Indie_bassist needs to smack him. How dare you tell someone to smack themselves over liking a bass shape. Loser.

It wasn't purely over the shape, if you'd read my post later on in reply to anarkee, I said that I realised I should have elaborated on why I said he should slap himself for considering the T-Bird. To me (and many other people) they are just generally uncomfortable and poor quality basses, you can get much much better for the price.
Quote by Bumper

Quote by SeveralSpecies

You aren't a total noobie then
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
i own a epiphone thunderbird and the sound quality is f**kin incredible, dont doubt something until you've tried...the gibson sounds 100 times better but i cant afford so i got the epiphone and i am never dissapointed consier buyin it its sweet takes a while to adjust to the body style though
my suggestion is get a used jazz or p bass you'd be surprised how worn instruments help. for amps depends on what your gonna use it for, for shows maybe if possible in your price range a gallien krueger or marshall and if for just practice basically anything else. but either way when you buy brand new instruments its too easy to sound good whereas used instruments gives you more of a challenge and also when repairing it you learn more about the actual instrument. thats what i did, started with a lori p bass (off set of fender) and a little lyon amp. i've improved at least ten fold in less then a year and now i have a fender custom jazz and (sadly) a peavey but i'll be getting a gk soon
yeah i must agree that gallien-krueger nearly give away some of the nicest bass tones on the market. I dont see how they can stay open with amps so inexpensive. But it goes to show you, price definitely isnt everything
My first bass was a stagg bass kit costs me 150 in sterling (dunno in dollars!!!) but yeah it served me well until I got my thunderbird!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Seeing as it's Gibson, Im assuming it's great quality. Also since it's Gibson Im assuming I will have to sell a kidney to afford one.

The only difference is the rigidity. Sound-wise, it's like the difference between a Squier P-Bass and an American P-Bass - it's clearer and deeper, but the overall 'feel' of the tone is still there.

I've never found Epiphone Thunderbirds to be heavy at all. Ever. The Gibsons I've played were heavier - more in line with 'normal' basses.

However, the fret access and neck dive are and always will be there. The neck-thru design makes the bass feel more stable, but you'll run into the exact same problems you'd run into on an Epiphone, except the tone is pleasantly bland instead of offensively bland. However, the financial troubles that come along with a Gibson Thunderbird are another story....

I recently had a gig at the Gibson Showcase Auditorium, and there were dozens of pictures of Gibson endorsees and their instruments. Out of the dozen or so pictures (and dozens of artists), there was ONE Gibson bass in them. One single Thunderbird. They're not popular, even in terms of Gibson instruments. It's kinda sad, really.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..