in the world of amplification does more speakers equal more volume? for example: would running the same amount of wattage though four 10 inch speakers be louder than the same wattage through one 15 inch?
Not necessarily. Having more speakers normally allows it to handle more, which could also be devoted to effects

Somebody else could correct me if I'm wrong.
so i guess if theres more than one speaker they share the work? does this allow for more volume handling?
i think when u have more speakers, it makes it louder and u can still make it as quiet as one speaker if u want
I believe one speaker helps focus the tone on the low end, however 4 speakers helps with the high's, but I maybe wrong. Also I dont think there would be any volume difference if the wattage delievered to all four speakers together, is the same as the wattage going to the 1 speaker
Quote by chinese_jazz
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.

Jaco Pastorius

E-A-G-L-E-S!!
*Bangs head on wall*

No. Firstly, it's more related to a area of air it pushes than the size, thoug 410 pushes more than a 115. This alters how loud it appears to be, but doesn't really change how far the sound travels.

And the most important thing is the combined power of the speaks (the rated power of the cab or combo) that influences volume (or, in the case of cabs, how powerful a preamp it can handle).

Speaker sizes result in different frequency responces and therefore tones. 15" give a warmer, bassier tone while 10" gives more clarity in the upper range.

Use the wattage to bass power on, and just use speaker combinations for the tone and frequency response you want.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by pedalguy1
in the world of amplification does more speakers equal more volume? for example: would running the same amount of wattage though four 10 inch speakers be louder than the same wattage through one 15 inch?

It is about understanding the difference between volume and loudness, put a 1x12" along side a 4x12" both producing the same DBs; the 4x12" will sound louder to the ear, in actual fact what you are hearing is a greater volume of sound; also the 4x12" will sound more acceptable to the ear as opposed to the tighter focus of sound that the 1x12" will produce at identical DB levels.
For a comparisson the 4x12" should have 25 watt speakers if the 1x12" has a 100 watt speaker, you cant expect a 100 watt amp to drive four 100 watt speakers as efficiently as it does a single 100 watt speaker.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn