Hi

Have been searching for a new guitar and have fallen in love with the 'SG' Style in black.

Gibson out of the question due to cost so have located the following within budget (UK) and would love to hear comparisons if possible.

Epiphone SG Special: £129
Vintage VS6: £135
Westfield E2000 £135
Epiphone G400 (Cherry red) £239

Not keen on the Iommi signature Epiphone so will get one from the above. One I would probably go for is the G400 but only series in black is the Imommi and Goth, both of which have custom frets which i'm not keen on!!

Two guitar shops locally. One is raving about Vintage VS6 other one is saying stay clear, it's rubbish....pushing Epiphone G400 instead. He is a sales man at the end of the day!

My style: Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Tool, Metallica etc

Hope you can help
I would say epi g-400
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
the g-400 would be your best choice.
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
I've got a G400 and it plays pretty nicely.
Tempus Edux Rerum Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Check out my band, Prosper! Prog/Metal/Core from Columbus, Ohio.
gonna go with the eppi

just whatever you do, dont get a silvertone
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
I own a G400 and I say go for it. I would replace the pickguard with a full one if you could though, instead of that little one they put on 'em
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
they make them with the bigger pick guards, but I think those cost like 100 more...its the deluxe series or something rather..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
A G-400 with a big pickguard (from WDMusic.com) and maybe a pickup change, and u should be set. SG Specials are absolute beginner guitars, on the same level as LP Special IIs and Affinity Strats. Stay away from brands like Jay Turser and brands like that. Sure, there cheap, and they might look cool, but unless u wanna overhaul the wiring soon, its not worth it IMO. Epi does make an SG 1966 reissue, which comes in black and has a big pickguard. Its about $300 american for it, so it shouldnt be much more than the G-400. If u can live without the pickguard, ESP makes the Viper, an SG style guitar best for heavy music.
Quote by fifer
they make them with the bigger pick guards, but I think those cost like 100 more...its the deluxe series or something rather..

Nope limited edition, ive the the delxue and its got the smaller one.

Also the small pickguards are modeled from the sixties Gibson SG's. Their not epiphone pickguards.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
My first guitar was a G400, and it was alright.

Pretty mediocre, not bad, not good.

I'd take a look to see if you could get a Samick TR2 instead.

Better specs, better weight distribution.

I'm not sure if/where you can get Samicks over there, though.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Thanks for some great feedback.

Would still be keen to see if there is much difference between the Vintage Vs6 and the Epi G400 for thos that have got/played both?

Still love black so make look for the '66 reissue epi g400 but doubt I would get if for the same price as the standard G400
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Find a tokai SG they make better SGs that epiphone.

+1, japanese tokais are nice. Edwards are also sweet, though I haven't tried their sg. Have to ship from japan, though (it's worth it!).

How much can you realistically get up to, and what's your amp, threadstarter?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I can get the Epi G400 vintage for £239 and I probably wouldn't go much more than that (nagging wife and 2 kids to feed) Gonna get a 15w Spider 3 amp to go with it as it suits my needs i.e. Led Zep & AC/DC and I won't need any more watt. as I will only be playing at home!
Now I shall elaborate more on what I said earlier that was backed up by Dave MC.

Japenese made guitars are generally better all round and Tokai always have had good feedback, also the ones I tried at my local guitar shop were very nice. But the lower end ones are made of Nato which is apparently "Eastern mahogany" but it's closer to agathis which isnt good unless you're pumping a lot of gain through it (Ie, active pickups).

EDIT: http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/main.htm

Get onto the "loverock" section of the site, the USG100 and 60 (I think it was) or the Korina one are the ones to get the others are made of Nato.
Last edited by Punk_Ninja at Nov 4, 2007,
I got one of those westfields for free. It sounds good but the neck and general construction is pretty sucky.
Quote by 007samd
I can get the Epi G400 vintage for £239 and I probably wouldn't go much more than that (nagging wife and 2 kids to feed) Gonna get a 15w Spider 3 amp to go with it as it suits my needs i.e. Led Zep & AC/DC and I won't need any more watt. as I will only be playing at home!

don't get a spider for led zep or ac/dc- a vox valvetronix would be better, or even one of the 5 watt tube amps- peavey valveking royal 8, perhaps.

£239... i'm not sure what's available that's any better than that epi for £239... I haven't tried the epi, unfortunately, so I'd best stay out of that argument...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
don't get a spider for led zep or ac/dc- a vox valvetronix would be better, or even one of the 5 watt tube amps- peavey valveking royal 8, perhaps.

£239... i'm not sure what's available that's any better than that epi for £239... I haven't tried the epi, unfortunately, so I'd best stay out of that argument...

Not sure if they're better per se, but there's the Vintage VS6 which I personally prefer over the G400, the Standard G400 is dirt cheap these days too.

+1 on a small valve amp for Classic Rock. Valveking Royal 8 is what you need, sirrah.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
as i said, I haven't tried it.

on the amp front.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've got the vintage one

It's really not that bad
Quote by Pinky19
My guitar is so ugly, it makes me wanna punch a baby.
Good call on the amp! I was playing through my mates Spider 3 earlier with his battered Ibanez and wasn't that impressed with the sound while playing some ac/dc through it. Couldn't seem to get the "classic rock" sound I was after. Will look into the peavey valveking royal 8 seeing as two of you have brought it up......thanks
Okay the local guitar shop is ordering in the standard G400 and the two Vintage ones (worn cherry and worn brown). I will take whichever i think feels right.

Have been looking at other threads on this site re: Epiphone G400 and they seem to have a bit of a bad rep! Should I maybe look for something else? Any G400 lovers out there wanna put a case forward?
Quote by 007samd
Okay the local guitar shop is ordering in the standard G400 and the two Vintage ones (worn cherry and worn brown). I will take whichever i think feels right.

Have been looking at other threads on this site re: Epiphone G400 and they seem to have a bit of a bad rep! Should I maybe look for something else? Any G400 lovers out there wanna put a case forward?

I'm not a G400 lover, nor an Epiphone buff, but I have a good feeling most of the bad rep is coming from people who are:

a) using it with a bad amp or unable to EQ a good one.

b) playing the G400 when it's not properly set up.

If you have the people at the shop set it up for you, or even better, if you do it yourself, you'll probably end up with a very nice instrument.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
I'm very fond on my G-400, it sounds alot nicer then my other set-neck SG clone.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I have a vintage VS6, and despite the fact that I now have a PRS Custom 22, I frequently play my good ol' Vintage.

Go figure.

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
Quote by Metallica708
I have a vintage VS6, and despite the fact that I now have a PRS Custom 22, I frequently play my good ol' Vintage.

Go figure.

I too love my VS6. There's something special about them.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Please check the upload date of this thread before posting. This thread is 10 years old.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee