Hey, I'm looking at changing the pickups in my guitar, as the ones I got fitted are pretty useless

It's an Ibanez Sz520fm, which I know isn't the best, but it's what I could afford at the time, and I like the feel of it, so that's that

Anyway, for those of you who don't know, mahogony body, quilted maple, rosewood fretboard.

At the time I got a Dimarzio Evo II in the bridge, and Evo in the neck. I've never really thought they gave a great tone from when I got them, but I don't have a whole lot of money, so I had to kinda make do. But I've started looking around again, and have some cash to replace .

I play mostly classic rock I s'pose you would label it, Cream, Peter Green, Led Zeppelin, Rory Gallagher, Deep Purple, Acdc (I can't help it haha), Jeff Beck, Gary Moore, Sabbath, G'N'R etc. Those are some of the more obvious names to give you an idea. But basically blues/rock/hard rock

Now, I don't particularly want to sound like anyone, I've never been one for copying someone's tone, but you get the basic idea.

I was origionally looking at Bareknuckle Pickups, but from them I've started to look at these P-90s, I quite like the idea from what I've read about them/seen on youtube

But I've not really got a clue what I'm talking about haha, so help is appreciated.

Basically, the difference between a P-90 and a PAF, and which would be more suited to my style?

Also, I've noticed Seymour Duncan/Dimarzio make several of both types of pickups, on top of the origional gibson models. Which am I better off going with?

Sorry for the life story, thanks to those of you who answer
Id say that if u play more cleans, the P-90 is the better. But if u want a stronger distorted tone, go with the PAF. If u want more modern stuff, the PAF Pro is the best for u. More classic stuff, like Cream, maybe go with the PAF Vintage or Classic. The only thing u would want a more modern sound for is GNR, but i think u can get by with a Classic PAF.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
A P-90 is a slightly darker and hotter single coil. More "spanky". A PAF is the industry standard rock humbucker.

Well, I'd say more than half of the guitarists I listen to generally use a Strat... so that'd be what I'm looking for no?
You bump in 6 minutes? ok...

Well if most of the guitarist you listen to use strats, you should get a strat... Maybe a fat strat so you have the humbucker for the more heavier stuff... But yeah, whatever you want.
I have an Epiphone Les Paul that came with a set of P-90s stock. They have a nice sound for straight blues, real deep sounding. But if you try to use distortion on them and isolate a neck or bridge pickup by themselves, it gets a really really bad hum/hiss. It you set the toggle to have both pickups active it loses the hiss and plays really nice.

Just some info I thought you might want to know about.
Quote by Olanis
I have an Epiphone Les Paul that came with a set of P-90s stock. They have a nice sound for straight blues, real deep sounding. But if you try to use distortion on them and isolate a neck or bridge pickup by themselves, it gets a really really bad hum/hiss. It you set the toggle to have both pickups active it loses the hiss and plays really nice.

Just some info I thought you might want to know about.

Hmm... how do you mean distortion?
Cause I mean... I don't play 'metal' if that's what you're implying. Deep Purple/Thin Lizzy is about as heavy as I ever go, but I mean I don't often play alot of it, well I play alot of Deep Purple, but he gets by on a strat so I think I'm safe as far as gain in concerned, unless you mean they're noisy in general?

Someone mentioned getting a PAF for the bridge and a P90 for the neck, how would that sound?

It's just that there are so many options, with seymour duncan, dimarzio, BKP, Gibson etc, I don't really know where to look for a set of pickups that suits my needs.
Quote by sdmf.1919
Hmm... how do you mean distortion?
Cause I mean... I don't play 'metal' if that's what you're implying. Deep Purple/Thin Lizzy is about as heavy as I ever go, but I mean I don't often play alot of it, well I play alot of Deep Purple, but he gets by on a strat so I think I'm safe as far as gain in concerned, unless you mean they're noisy in general?

Someone mentioned getting a PAF for the bridge and a P90 for the neck, how would that sound?

It's just that there are so many options, with seymour duncan, dimarzio, BKP, Gibson etc, I don't really know where to look for a set of pickups that suits my needs.

Yeah, any distortion gives it that hum/hiss sound, but it's really noticeable when using a lot of gain. if it's something you don't mind hearing, like if you're just play and not recording then it's not so bad, you could probably run a noise suppressor and it would be just fine.

but as for the pickups themselves, I'd say a P-90 in the neck with a PAF at the bridge would sound pretty good, especially in that guitar you have.
Quote by Olanis
Yeah, any distortion gives it that hum/hiss sound, but it's really noticeable when using a lot of gain. if it's something you don't mind hearing, like if you're just play and not recording then it's not so bad, you could probably run a noise suppressor and it would be just fine.

but as for the pickups themselves, I'd say a P-90 in the neck with a PAF at the bridge would sound pretty good, especially in that guitar you have.

I'm not a fan of noise gates:P
I often feel they steal from my tone, I prefer not to use them

But I mean, would the P90 be noisy in the neck?
From my experience the bridge is usually alot noisier than the neck is..?
I wouldn't go with any of the current suggestions, but that's just me...

Duncan Custom 5 bridge, 59 neck

or a pair of Dimarzio Breeds if you want a bit more power and a bit more lower midrange oomph
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Lol Nah, I don't see myseld going for another set of Steve vai endorsed pickups again lol.

I'll have a look at the custom 5, but why do you disagree with the previous suggestions?
Lol well from what I'm reading the custom isn't suited to what I want either... did you read what I wrote?:\
Yes, i did...I also have one guitar with a pair of Breeds and one with a Custom 5 in the bridge so I know what I'm talking about

The Breeds are the complete opposite of the Evolutions, fat, warm with plenty of lower midrange and sensible treble response. They're kind of like beefed up pafs, so if you roll the volume off you get pretty good vintage tones. The Breed neck is hands down one of the nicest neck pickups you'll ever play, warm and expressive without getting muddy.

The Custom 5 is a bit harder edged than a Paf with a bit more bite but again it responds well to the volume control. It's a great rock pickup that can cope well with heavier tones if needed, it's not too hot that it has that compressed sounds but stays nicely ragged with plenty of dynamics. The 59 is a pretty faithful PAF clone, and about as good as you'll get from Duncan without shelling out for an antiquity.

I used to jam with a guy who's been playing professionally for 40 years, and he thought my Epi LP with Duncans was one of the nicest guitars he'd ever heard, likewise he thought the tone from the Breed neck was amazing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i'd probably get bareknuckle mules, or whatever the bulldog equivalent is. I say that having not tried them, but based on how nice my own bareknuckles are.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The noise form a p90 is because they are single coils, when in the center position both are on so therefore humbucking. P90s wont fit in all guitars. There are 2 kinds ones with the screws thru the center of the pickups, between the poles. And the other kind with the ears off the side like a regular pickup. Most of them dont have threaded holes like a humbucker so cant be used with the rings. They usually have foam or springs under them and the screws go into the body. Im pretty sure you can put them in place of a humbucker but not the other way around. They are a little smaller than humbuckers. They give a much fatter mid and bottom than a regular strat single coil, but not as fat and brighter than a humbucker.