I was considering buying either an EMG Afterburner or an EMG PA2 - Both are gain boosters and as far as I can tell do the exact same thing!
Only thing is I'm not sure how I'd go about installing it? Would I need to replace one of the controls currently on the guitar - Such as the tone knob?
If it does, I'm not willing to sacrifice any of the controls I currently have, so how much would it cost to get another installed (eg. drilled in)?

Last thing: Does anyone own either of these products? If so let me know what you think of em please!
I own an EMG Afterburner. It's pretty cool, I haven't found much use for it. it's nice for adding light amounts of distortion when you're clean or adding lots of sustain when you're doing some lead work.

You don't have to replace a tone knob, and drilling it would probably cost a pretty penny from any local music stores. Try drilling the hole yourself.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
I wouldn't care to try drilling it myself, I've never done it before and the guitar I intend to put it in will be new and rather expensive so messing it up would be terrible >.<
Quote by LeperAffinity
I wouldn't care to try drilling it myself, I've never done it before and the guitar I intend to put it in will be new and rather expensive so messing it up would be terrible >.<

Well they would probably charge you around $50 or some bull crap like that for installation and drilling.
Quote by Kensai
So overall if I'm paying that much it'd probably be cheaper to get a gain booster pedal?
Quote by LeperAffinity
So overall if I'm paying that much it'd probably be cheaper to get a gain booster pedal?

If you want. Or you could just replace a knob...
Quote by Kensai
The guitar I'm getting has Volume, Tone and a Three Way Switch, all of which are pretty essential.. If I had 2 Tone knobs it'd be different because I could wire both p-ups to 1 knob and use the other for the afterburner. But I don't really wanna be stuck with my tone jacked up to 10, volume's pretty important too... And switching pick-ups is up on that list too.
Quote by LeperAffinity
The guitar I'm getting has Volume, Tone and a Three Way Switch, all of which are pretty essential.. If I had 2 Tone knobs it'd be different because I could wire both p-ups to 1 knob and use the other for the afterburner. But I don't really wanna be stuck with my tone jacked up to 10, volume's pretty important too... And switching pick-ups is up on that list too.

Looks like you have no other option then. You're going to have to get it drilled in or just get a pedal.
Quote by Kensai