We all know of Newton's Cradle, popularised by the album cover of Dream Theater's 'Octavarium' (ok, it wasn't).

As we know, this Newton's Cradle was made to demonstrate Newtonian physics. I was thinking, wouldn't it be awesome if we could have a Quantum Cradle to demonstrate Quantum Physics, specifically the Uncertainty Principle? You know, where you have a cradle of similar design to that of Newton's Cradle, but where the last ball turns into a bird, flies off at nearly the speed of light and turns into a singularity
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
I've got a Klein Bottle at home. It's pretty cool I use it a lot.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
The inside. Wait, the outside.
Both. Or neither?
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Quote by rorythefaggot
The inside. Wait, the outside.
Both. Or neither?

All of the above

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
bump, I'm amazed the pit didn't take to this idea

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
that would be... interesting if you could actually make one, I think it would be pretty hard to demonstrate things like the uncertainty principle, superposistion, decoherence etc. Besides, it would make peoples heads explode.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
This is too intelligent a conversation for the pit. You fail.
Quote by capt_dammit
kaervek...you rock

Quote by guitardude34875
the genre of metal is like an apple, I prefer just the apple, not the applecore
Quote by mcw00t
We all know of Newton's Cradle, popularised by the album cover of Dream Theater's 'Octavarium' (ok, it wasn't).

As we know, this Newton's Cradle was made to demonstrate Newtonian physics. I was thinking, wouldn't it be awesome if we could have a Quantum Cradle to demonstrate Quantum Physics, specifically the Uncertainty Principle? You know, where you have a cradle of similar design to that of Newton's Cradle, but where the last ball turns into a bird, flies off at nearly the speed of light and turns into a singularity

That has nothing to do with the uncertainty principle

Heisenburg's Uncertainty Principle is dE.dt=>h/4pi and dp.dx=>h/4pi

where dE = amount of energy, dt = length of time, dp = change in momentum and dx = position along x-axis

I'd like to see you try and represent quantum physics in an image: the greatest minds of our generation have been trying for 100 years to no avail

(try drawing negative kinetic energy, probability flux and particles interfering with themselves )
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
It could, depending on the amount of energy with each individual quark. It could, although very unlikely, change, or move into different places and thus changing the quark structure of different subatomic particles, causing the atomic structure to change, and therefore molctular structure. It could happen, but it's pretty unlikely.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
It could, depending on the amount of energy with each individual quark. It could, although very unlikely, change, or move into different places and thus changing the quark structure of different subatomic particles, causing the atomic structure to change, and therefore molctular structure. It could happen, but it's pretty unlikely.

and since quantum physics usually deals with what is most likely to happen that wouldn't be a very good demonstration.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
and since quantum physics usually deals with what is most likely to happen that wouldn't be a very good demonstration.

It was merely a funny thought I had during a very boring maths lesson. Thanks for pissing on my hopes and dreams.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
It was merely a funny thought I had during a very boring maths lesson. Thanks for pissing on my hopes and dreams.

no problem

Last.fm
Quote by mcw00t

The uncertainty principle has nothing do with with the "amount of energy with each individual quark", it's to do with not being able to know both where a particle is and what its momentum is. The energy equation mainly deals with working out how long instantaneous particles can exist for.

Sorry to piss on your parade
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Newton's cradle is a statement of conservation of momentum and energy.
On a macroscopic scale, (in the limit hbar goes to zero), a 'Quantum' cradle would be Newton's cradle.

The only way one could construct a cradle where qm's non-classical predictions have any bearing would be to create one on Planck length scales, or composed of elementary particles (or perhaps atoms, molecules).

One could imagine arranging 100 or so atomic nuclei in a 1-dimensional line and then perturbing one end of the line arrangement.
This would perhaps set the 'cradle' in motion.

Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?

It just so happens that that's one of the uses of the magneto-optical trap next door to my office.