Poll: Would you rather be booksmart or have day-to-day skills?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you rather be booksmart or have day-to-day skills?
Booksmart
9 23%
Day-to-day intelligence
31 78%
Voters: 40.
Okay, so I was thinking about this today at work (this is how I spend my time at work. And I get paid for it, too, so...awesome).

What would you rather have--the most brilliant mind when it comes to English and math and science (book-smart, doing well in all of the "school subjects"), yet be terrible in day-to-day intelligence (poor common sense, social skills, etc.), or have amazing day-to-day skills, yet be a failure when it comes intellectual thinking?

Honestly, both would have their pros and cons, so it's kind of a hard choice.

Discuss?
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Well what's the point in being good in Maths and English when it wouldn't help you at all, unless it includes getting a job, but you couldn't get a job with poor social skills so i'd go with amazing day-to-day skills.
I think 'day-to-day intelligence' would probably lead to a happier existence.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
I'd prefer the day-to-day intelligence, however thankfully i was gifted with both!
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by kidsilcon
Well what's the point in being good in Maths and English when it wouldn't help you at all, unless it includes getting a job, but you couldn't get a job with poor social skills so i'd go with amazing day-to-day skills.

If you're "smart enough," though, then it wouldn't matter how awful your social skills are; some employers would want you simply because you're the best, so I don't think getting a job would be a real problem.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
theres no point being smart an having like a great job if you got no friends and won't enjoy it, so day to day stuff is best

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

"Book smarts"

I can't imagine being happy without... thinking about things...

That may sound pretentious but, without putting more thought into things and really trying to be intelligent, you're missing out on so much of life. So much of everyday life.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Gunpowder
If you're "smart enough," though, then it wouldn't matter how awful your social skills are; some employers would want you simply because you're the best, so I don't think getting a job would be a real problem.

Well then there is a lot of contradictions in this.
common sense. If a good college was interviewing a guy with a 4.0 GPA and he got confused and angry when they tried to shake his hand, they wouldn't accept him. Yet they might consider someone who did poorly in school but had incredible conversational skills and acted confident. I'd rather have common sense / day-to-day skills.
Day-to-day intelligence. All you needs to do is take a good look at politicians (either party) to see that book smarts can be fairly useless. Most politicians are lawyers. Most have passed the Bar Exam. Most are "smart" and yet stupid, disconnected from reality, and power mad.

There is a significant difference between information, knowledge and wisdom. Many receive information, some gain knowledge, and very few become wise.
Quote by meh!
"Book smarts"

I can't imagine being happy without... thinking about things...

That may sound pretentious but, without putting more thought into things and really trying to be intelligent, you're missing out on so much of life. So much of everyday life.

Mhmmm I agree thar

Personally, I would be much happier with commen sense.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power