So I think I'll be building an 18W in a month or few, but I need a cab for it. I think 2x12 should be good for my needs, as I want a lower weight option, I want the slightly more open sound that two speakers will give, and a 4x12 just seems a bit over the top. Problem is, I'm not too rich. I won't have a whole lot of money to buy a cab with the amp left over, and I might even be forced to use my AD30's 10 inch speaker as a cab for a bit. So. I'm thinking that I might just buy an empty cab and put Weber speakers in it, but what's my best option for a cab, unloaded or loaded?
Quote by Ngawtfizjuice
Who the hell told you that 2 speakers give you a more open sound?

You're much more likely to find an open back or partial open back 2x12 than 412. Open backs give you a more lively, less thick tone.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
You're much more likely to find an open back or partial open back 2x12 than 412. Open backs give you a more lively, less thick tone.

That really depends on the cabinet buddy. I find a lot of open backs to sound shrill, one dimensional, and muddy all at the same time. A thiele style cab is the way to go if you really need to fill a room.
^but that's to your ears man. lets respect cokeisbetter's tonal opinions.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Ngawtfizjuice
That really depends on the cabinet buddy. I find a lot of open backs to sound shrill, one dimensional, and muddy all at the same time. A thiele style cab is the way to go if you really need to fill a room.

So I take it you've never played any Fender Combos? They sound great, not too percussive, but very open and lively...open back. Whats the difference between a combo and open back cab.

Sure if you have sh1t speakers they're going to sound muddy, thats a given. Everyone on UG should know that, which is why I didn't even bother mentioning it.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I'm just saying, with something like an 18 watt Marshall Style head, the open back might not be the best option for him.
i think avatar and carvin are about the same price
the avatars will have celestion speakers
if you want that
either way
congrats on the 18watt you will love it
what kit are you getting?
Quote by MESAexplorer
So I take it you've never played any Fender Combos? They sound great, not too percussive, but very open and lively...open back. Whats the difference between a combo and open back cab.

Sure if you have sh1t speakers they're going to sound muddy, thats a given. Everyone on UG should know that, which is why I didn't even bother mentioning it.

Fenders also have a completely different midrange voicing and gain structure than the 18watt head you're getting. Throw almost any amount of drive on an open back cab and it will get shrill and muddy.
Quote by Ngawtfizjuice
I'm just saying, with something like an 18 watt Marshall Style head, the open back might not be the best option for him.

he can definitely give a hatch in the back that can be shut air-tight whenever he needs it
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Avatar 2x12s start out $100 more, you do get the celestion speakers, but they are coming at a price.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by ECistheBest
he can definitely give a hatch in the back that can be shut air-tight whenever he needs it

I think a thiele style cab eliminates the need for all of that. The perfect balance of a closed an open back cabinet. Cleans that fill the room and overdrive that can punch hard yet remain clear and balanced sounding.
Quote by Ngawtfizjuice
Who the hell told you that 2 speakers give you a more open sound?

More open than a 1x10? Yeah, I think the 2x12'll be better than that.

Anyhoo. What about unloaded cabs? Are there any particular brands that do good cabs which I could then slap some speakers in?