are they hard to get used to? im thinking about getting a nice guitar for Christmas, but i want something unique...well either that or something rly good like an american strat, but anyways

do they have any practical use besides heavy metal?
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
seven string is old news, get an eight string, or a thirty-two string

OR AN EIGHTY-SEVEN STRING GUITAR!!!! BWAAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHA...

sorry, dunno, i want one too
i saw this jazz funk guy who peformed due style just him and a vocalist, he used the seventh string for basslines while he was playing. Steve Vai uses it so he can play heavy riffs but still have really high pitched solos as he doesn't need to downtune.
let me ask it this way, if your into alternative, blues, blues based rock and getting into metal, and you dont ever change tunings except for the very very rare drop d, can seven strings (or 8 strings) be useful?
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Last edited by bored_maniac33 at Nov 2, 2007,
Quote by Fama
Will you have use for it?

..................................................................i have no idea....thats like....why im asking.....cause its likes 830pm, the guitar store is closed and the only guitar store with seven string guitars is over an hour away......so....like....i asked on here instead of like just sitting here cause i figured i could learn something by asking.........and college application essays arent going so well
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
You'll get the most of it if you play (downtuned) metal or jazz.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
If I recall correctly they were first developed for jazz players and it wasn't until later that they caught on in the metal scene.

I could be wrong though so don't quote me on that.
for the xtra money you would drop on a decent 7string you could buy an even better 6string.

i used to own a 7string squire stagemaster, not too hard to get used to, just not many uses for it
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
They are good for classical stuff too. They really help for if you want to play low dirge type stuff. I'm thinking about getting one someday.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
It really depends on which 7 string you're talking about. Something with like an EMG at the bridge and no tone controls is probably built for metal...just a little bit...hah. While something with say an HSH configuration, medium output pickups, and tone controls should be a bit more versatile.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I tried a seven string out today lol and the neck felt like holding a two by four. I mean it still played pretty nice but it was awkward for me.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Quote by UrzasJ00rMom
I tried a seven string out today lol and the neck felt like holding a two by four. I mean it still played pretty nice but it was awkward for me.

There is quite a bit of a learning curve. You really have to want to play one to well...want to play one.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio