All of you people who think that you know john mayer. Almost everyone on this website seems to think that they know him really well, because they've heard, "no such thing", "your body is a wonderland", and "daughters" on the radio, so they classify him as "acoustic rock" or "acoustic pop" or maybe just "pop". To you people i say, wtf? you always have to argue that your right when someone calls him "bluesy" and it pisses me off, because he is blues, listen to his new album "continuum"(2006) and the john mayer trios album "try" (2005). stop assuming that you're right, and keep up with the music, its amazing, way better than the "acoustic rock" that you call his early music. I just had to get this off of my chest. id like to know what everyone thinks about this as well
He is a blues player in my opinion that can write a good pop song as well. John Mayer is excellent, and heis a Berklee grad.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Quote by ihatethischord
listen to heavier music

stop being a F A G G O T

and i agree with gibson rocker, thank you
Quote by ihatethischord
listen to heavier music

Please Leave, and never come back.

And I don't really see too much Mayer Hating here anymore, last year before contininum was out, there was some hate, but not anymore, I hardly ever see someone put down Mayer, he's actually pretty respected around here.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by freshtunes
He is a blues player in my opinion that can write a good pop song as well. John Mayer is excellent, and heis a Berklee grad.

actually, he quit berklee after one semester, who knows why.

and yeah, call me a john mayer fanatic, but i learn as much as i can about every band that i like, so yeah, hi, dont hit me
I feel exactly the same way, I think that he's an excellent blues player, I'm very disappointed that he's so popular for his "pop" songs... I saw him live, and he was doing some amazing improvisations... I was in awe. It wasn't anything crazy, no shredding or anything, but it had enough soul to blow me away.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender HM Strat
Mesa/Boogie 1987 Mark III
Peavey Classic Chorus 130
Boss GT-8
Robert Keeley TS9DX Flexi-4X2
He has Hendrix covers? Which songs? Sounds cool. John Mayer isn't bluesy, he's the only pop artist with talent. That's what he is. Not to mention his blues influence though. And I have tremendous respet for him as a guitarist too.
he does "the wind cries mary" and "bold as love" those are the only i know of though, anyone know any others?
he does bold as love, and little wing too, i think, but little wing is just instrumental or something. He also does some Stevie Ray Vaughan covers that are very good
He also did Wait 'Til Tomorrow...
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender HM Strat
Mesa/Boogie 1987 Mark III
Peavey Classic Chorus 130
Boss GT-8
Robert Keeley TS9DX Flexi-4X2
My dad has Eric Claptons "Crossroad" DVD and that has John Mayer on it, and I was impressed by him. He is very bluesy.
Member #16 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join
Mayer is one of the best guitarist I've seen in awhile , I prefer Henry Garza from Los Lonely Boys though. Mayer sometimes seems to be a bit too much like SRV in his phrasing , but I think its amazing!
Mayer is a known SRV wannabe. He is as overrated as Slash is in his genre. Listen to better music, guys! There are SO many better players/songs/bands out there! I always shake my head in amazement at people's musical tastes...
He is bluesy imo. He delves into other types of music. It's called getting a feel for your tastes and styles as well as increasing your knowledge.
Quote by BluesRules
actually, he quit berklee after one semester, who knows why.

*raises hand*
because he wasn't happy with what he was being taught and how he was being made to learn. He wasn't interested in learning the things they were teaching him, he just wanted to write his own stuff. So he left. Or at least I think that's what I remember him saying in an interview once.

anyway, john mayer's blues influences could be heard waaaaay before his last couple CDs. City Love, Come Back to Bed, Covered In Rain, Man on the Side, and Sucker to name a few.

and WFMedia, you really need to get over yourself...
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by BigFatSandwich

and WFMedia, you really need to get over yourself...

... what's this got to do with me? I expressed my opinion, and lamented on the waning musical tastes of the majority. Mr. Mayer is a SRV wannabe. He said something akin to this in an interview, about his heavy SRV influence. You act like I speak with no knowledge. YOU get over yourself.
I've only heard him on the crossroads DVD, from that I deduce -

He is most definitely a blues guitarists
Sadly i hate his voice
He needs to turn off the SRV :p
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
This thread is fucking bad. If you wanted to talk about John should have came to the John Mayer Only Thread thats usually at the top of the forum (meaning its generally pretty active here in the blues forum).

Hardly any hate gets spread around him anymore, so looks like you don't know what the fuck your talking about threadstarter.

And for the record..he is not a blues guitarist, period. He's a wonderful player, a great musician overall and an even better songwriter. He incorporates his blues influences and his pop/rock influences to one big sound..that is not blues. Its a great sound, but its not blues. So get over it.

I've always been a much bigger fan of Room For Squares and Heavier Things over Continuum. Don't get me wrong, Continuum is great and I'm glad he actually let his other side step out into his music, but those first two albums really make a perfect John Mayer. Continuum just adds to the peaches.
Last edited by WyldeGibsonPlyr at Nov 3, 2007,
i have to say that i cant stand john mayor.his guitar playing is not bad but it annoys me the way he gets to play with clapton and buddy guy,when clearly he is just stealing their licks
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
This thread is fucking bad. If you wanted to talk about John should have came to the John Mayer Only Thread thats usually at the top of the forum (meaning its generally pretty active here in the blues forum).

Hardly any hate gets spread around him anymore, so looks like you don't know what the fuck your talking about threadstarter.

And for the record..he is not a blues guitarist, period. He's a wonderful player, a great musician overall and an even better songwriter. He incorporates his blues influences and his pop/rock influences to one big sound..that is not blues. Its a great sound, but its not blues. So get over it.

I've always been a much bigger fan of Room For Squares and Heavier Things over Continuum. Don't get me wrong, Continuum is great and I'm glad he actually let his other side step out into his music, but those first two albums really make a perfect John Mayer. Continuum just adds to the peaches.

ok ...
1-just because you dont like his blues stuff, doesnt mean you get to classify him as a pop genre guy, ok?
2-ill admit, i am a little obsessed with his music, but all that means is that i know about it well, and it is blues, i do know what the fu ck im talking about, if you dont think its blues, you are either, f uckin deaf, or you havent heard the john mayer trio at all, and no, the trio isnt continuum, but he does carry over alot of trio onto continuum, its blues
3-you are a F U C K I N douchebag, your too ****-in full of yourself
In my opinion, he is nothing. He's a pop artist who would like to be a bluesman, but can't resist writing another sappy "your body is a wonderland" song, just to make sure the pre-teens keep coming and screaming at his concerts.

He's not half bad when he does his SRV ripoff though.
Quote by WFMedia
... what's this got to do with me? I expressed my opinion, and lamented on the waning musical tastes of the majority. Mr. Mayer is a SRV wannabe. He said something akin to this in an interview, about his heavy SRV influence. You act like I speak with no knowledge. YOU get over yourself.

what's it got to do with you? you expressed an opinion and I expressed mine. I'm not saying you speak with no knowledge (although it doesn't take a genius to see the obvious SRV influences).

I told you to get over yourself cause your post made you sound like a major music snob.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
i've always respected john mayer, i like his song writing, and i seriously love his phrasing, the perfect mixture of srv and bb king
I'd have to agree with WGP. This thread opens by assuming the threadstarter is in possession of some unusual level of understanding about John Mayer's bluesiness that most of us ignorant UGers are too shallow to understand.

The fact is that John Mayer's blues chops are a constant subject of conversation on this forum and have been for more than a year; you're not telling us anything we don't already know.

It's just a bad thread.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by PatchworkMan
I'd have to agree with WGP. This thread opens by assuming the threadstarter is in possession of some unusual level of understanding about John Mayer's bluesiness that most of us ignorant UGers are too shallow to understand.

The fact is that John Mayer's blues chops are a constant subject of conversation on this forum and have been for more than a year; you're not telling us anything we don't already know.

It's just a bad thread.

i may have implied that, but not intentionally, i never meant to say that i have some unusual level of understanding about Johns bluesiness, i simply meant to say that i know that he is a blues guitarist/singer/songwriter, and he is not pop (any more). oh and one more thing, you like other men
Quote by BluesRules
i may have implied that, but not intentionally, i never meant to say that i have some unusual level of understanding about Johns bluesiness, i simply meant to say that i know that he is a blues guitarist/singer/songwriter, and he is not pop (any more). oh and one more thing, you like other men

omg u calld me gay that proovz u r teh ownz0rz ur the best at this interweb game

Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by BluesRules
ok ...
1-just because you dont like his blues stuff, doesnt mean you get to classify him as a pop genre guy, ok?
2-ill admit, i am a little obsessed with his music, but all that means is that i know about it well, and it is blues, i do know what the fu ck im talking about, if you dont think its blues, you are either, f uckin deaf, or you havent heard the john mayer trio at all, and no, the trio isnt continuum, but he does carry over alot of trio onto continuum, its blues
3-you are a F U C K I N douchebag, your too ****-in full of yourself

Ok, normally I'd just report this and leave, but I must say,throughout this entire thread you've amazed me with your displays of immaturity.
These forums are for discussion, when you start a thread saying "I think John is blues, some people don't. What do you think?" people are going to have their opinions, many will oppose yours, but that doesn't make them "a F U C K I N douchebag".

Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
And for the record..he is not a blues guitarist, period. He's a wonderful player, a great musician overall and an even better songwriter.

That's his opinion and you threw a little hissy fit over it, but he wasn't even insulting Mayer, he payed him a huge compliment, so what if he doesn't consider him Blues?

What does it matter to you if Mayer is Blues or not? From looking at your favourite artists section, it seems to me you have a very limited knowledge of the genre. Fair enough you're only just starting out and it's an amazing journey so congratulations, but you've only just had a taste, so it's a bit early for you to be schooling others on what's Blues and what isn't.

There are Blues purists out there who will tell you "If it ain't from the Delta it ain't Blues" so I don't think you have any place getting so worked up over John Mayer and what he plays or doesn't play.

Oh and by the way... *REPORTED*
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.