Page 1 of 9
Everyday, this forum gets flooded with questions about EMGs. So simply, please ask those questions here rather than making a new thread. Thanks.

By the way, I don't know much about EMGs, so don't expect much help from me. We'll need some help from the forum's more experienced users.

Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
81/85.

Thank you so much for this thread, sir.

An official +1 to you.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
^this guy's got the right idea.

and 81/85 is very common, but I've heard that the 81/60 combo is magic as well.
------

Shwiggity.
haha lol at Øttərs sig

on topic: This is a great idea, there are so many EMG question threads mainly about wiring diagrams.

To all those people look at this page:
http://www.emgpickups.com/text/wiring.html

Other stuff:
Emgs need a 9V battery, although they sound better with 2 (18v, there is a thread about this)
You do not need an extra cavity for the 9V (x2) battery(s), they should easilly fit into any guitars cavity. It will be very rare that you have to route for a cavity
EMGs use 25k pots which come in two different sizes, long shaft and short shaft, short shaft is for normal flat top guitars and long shaft is for carved top guitars.
EMGs also need a stereo jack so that the battery(s) don't go flat so easily. With just a mono jack the battery will stay on all day every day until it goes flat. The battery should usually last about 3000hrs before going flat.
No, you do not need a battery for each pickup in your guitar, just one battery in there to power all of them (unless you do the 18v mod)
EMGs are normal sized humbuckers, meaning that you can drop them into any standard humbucker route. Except for the flush mount EMGs, they are shorter in height.
EMGs come in active and passive. Although according to reviews, their passives are pretty crappy.
EMG pickups are High Gain and are used mainly for metal and hard rock genres

there will be more info, but thats about as much as i know. TS, you may wanna organise everything and put it in the first post
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Dec 1, 2008,
How about some EMG passives, hey guys?

I put them in my BC rich warlock and it sounds better than Metallica through my MG15.

I love nubslices.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
haha, i was just going to go tell you that you have the worst pieces of equipment and then i saw your name and i was like as if Øttərs going to have that gear, hes to smart for that
^

Gibson SG standard thru a vintage 1973 Garnet Tube, handmade in my hometown.

I roll with the rock, man.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
I suggest a link to the 18v mod on the first post
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
so which amp do you prefer, the MG or the Garnet?

Also, is that a santa hat your car is wearing?
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by metalwarrior40
I suggest a link to the 18v mod on the first post

I second this. People are always asking about the 18v mod.

And people always say EMG's can't do cleans. The 81 is the one that sounds bad clean. The 85, 89, 60 and single coils all can do cleans pretty well. You should address that in the opening post. The 18v mod helps the cleans too.
from what i've read, i'm under the impression that EMGs require no soldering, they just plug right in. I'm getting some for christmas, and it looks like the 89 has some kind of soldering to it, which i have no idea how to do. any guidance?
Quote by Ponomar
What do you guys think is the best combo?

I have 81, S, SA. I love the singles.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jun 9, 2009,
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
from what i've read, i'm under the impression that EMGs require no soldering, they just plug right in. I'm getting some for christmas, and it looks like the 89 has some kind of soldering to it, which i have no idea how to do. any guidance?

very simple soldering, great instructions on thier site.
What's the best EMG neck pickup? I'd like something with warm cleans.
I'm set on a SD Blackout for the bridge, but I'm not too fond of the blackout neck pickups.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
I second this. People are always asking about the 18v mod.

And people always say EMG's can't do cleans. The 81 is the one that sounds bad clean. The 85, 89, 60 and single coils all can do cleans pretty well. You should address that in the opening post. The 18v mod helps the cleans too.

The cleans on the S are amazing. Makes my Jackson sound just like a tele. warm with a sparkle and great definition with suspended chords.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jun 9, 2009,
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat

EMG's do require soldering. The wires get soldered to the pots just like passive pickups do. The quick connect system refers to how the wires can be unplugged from the pickups. That means if you have an 85 in the neck and want a 60 instead you can unplug the 85 and plug the 60 in without soldering.
Quote by qstionauthority
What's the best EMG neck pickup? I'd like something with warm cleans.
I'm set on a SD Blackout for the bridge, but I'm not too fond of the blackout neck pickups.

there is a humbucker that splits to single coil S or SA, I think it is the 81w. It has a push pull volume.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by Tempoe
The cleans on the S are amazing. Makes my Jackson sound just like a tele. warm with a sparkle and great definition with strange chords. I think it is the best pup they make.

I need a humbucker. Has anyone tried the 89? The one you can split. Does it really sound single-coily?

edit: ^wow, way to answer my question from the future haha
Quote by qstionauthority
I need a humbucker. Has anyone tried the 89? The one you can split. Does it really sound single-coily?

edit: ^wow, way to answer my question from the future haha

Yep. its awesome, I have tried it.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
The 89 sounds like the 85 in humbucker mode and I think an SA in single mode. It sounds pretty good. If I had tried it before putting the 85 in my Explorer I might have put an 89 in it instead.

Yea, too bad you already have the 85, I think the 89W is worth the extra $30, the SA single has a nice clean strat neck sound, much more versitile and great for recording too.
Quote by Tempoe
Yea, too bad you already have the 85, I think the 89W is worth the extra $30, the SA single has a nice clean strat neck sound, much more versitile and great for recording too.

The problem would be the extra space the push/pull takes up in the control cavity. I have 2 9v batteries in there for the 18v mod. As you can see in this pic there is no room left. I doubt I'll change it. I might put an 89 in one of my other guitars though.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
EMG's do require soldering. The wires get soldered to the pots just like passive pickups do. The quick connect system refers to how the wires can be unplugged from the pickups. That means if you have an 85 in the neck and want a 60 instead you can unplug the 85 and plug the 60 in without soldering.

shweet, but would the 89 push/pull complicate things if i decided to switch it out?
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
shweet, but would the 89 push/pull complicate things if i decided to switch it out?

Yes the 89 would complicate things. It has more wires to allow the coil tapping or splitting or whatever it's called. The 89 is only interchangable with the 81TW. The 81, 85, 60, 60A, P81, P85, P60, P60A, S, SA, SV, SAV, H & HA all have the same Quik Connect plug. Some are humbuckers and some are single coils so different pickguards would be required but they would all plug in the same. Check out these links. They will show you the different plugs for the 81 & the 89.

http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Guitar&categoryid=6
http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Guitar&categoryid=6&catalogid=6
is it possible/practical to just have two volume knobs and no tone knobs? I want to use the toggle as a killswitch (also, is that possible with EMGs?) and don't see myself messing around with the tone pot.
It would sound pretty much the same as having the tone pot set to maximum, turning the pot that far round by passes the pot, so the only difference you will hear is from the lack of resistance in the little less wire you will use by taking the tone pot out.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Question!

I have installed a handmade piezo preamp to my guitar which has EMGs 81&85.

Ive soldered the 5 way pickup selector so that I have in one of the positions the hot wire of the EMG 85 and the piezo preamp output connected togheter so that I (tried to) have a mixed signal from piezo and the 85. See pic.

So my question is if I could damage the 85 because I could be changing the impedance.

I mean, is it like Im increasing the impedance of the volume and tone pot to the 85's eyes?

Did anyone understand a thing?
Attachments:
ESKEMA.JPG
I'm not sure, so in the 4the position you have the 85 and the piezo working together? Does it work...and how does it sound? I don't think it will damage anything but it may not perform properly.
Well the piezo output is tiny compared to the EMG's, (EMGs is about three times louder than the piezo ) so in the 4th position the sound is the same as the 5th position, but a bit softer.

That volume decrease when comparing positions 4 and 5 is my concern.
for the guys that have an 85 in the neck and an 81 in the bridge, I ask this question:

how close to the strings do you have your pickups when fretted at the last fret?

just currently experimenting with em for a better sound that is still very hot with good response to pinch harmonics.
I placed them as close as possible to the strings as recomended by EMG but I felt the 85 to be a bit louder than the 81, so I adjusted it lower. Still experimenting too.

Has anybody an answer for my QUESTION ^^?
bazuriya,
sorry but i have no idea.

my question:
my friend's guitar (ltd ec-1000) has an EMG 81/60 combo that sounded pretty good up until a bit ago, but now his guitar feedbacks all the time and it's hard to perform because there's a truck screeching to a halt everytime there's a break in the song. i told him to replace the battery and he said it's something about the wax in the pickup?