Page 1 of 2
the input jack on my bass amp isnt grabing holding my cord tightly so i was planning on going in there and opening up my amp and bending it back. well i want to know even if it is unplugged is there still a chance i could get a electrocuted??? or if its unplugged am i okay?? are there certain things i should stay away from inside?? it is a ss by the way.
You should be fine. Electrocution warnings are mainly for tube amps, since the tubes are conducting the power. Severe electrocution that is. You could possible be electrocuted, but probably not enough to hurt you.
Ben
if its unplugged then theres no way u can get electrocuted
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
Quote by muffinman123192
You should be fine. Electrocution warnings are mainly for tube amps, since the tubes are conducting the power. Severe electrocution that is. You could possible be electrocuted, but probably not enough to hurt you.

So if I dip my hand in the bathtub filled with warm water and stick my finger in my electrical socket while wearing my metal shoes I'll be fine then? What a retarded thing to say.
turn the amp off and unplug it.
James "The Rev" Sullivan
1981-2009
May He Rest In Peace
Quote by Ngawtfizjuice
So if I dip my hand in the bathtub filled with warm water and stick my finger in my electrical socket while wearing my metal shoes I'll be fine then? What a retarded thing to say.

He didn't say the only way to ever get shocked is via a tube amp
Quote by muffinman123192

thats not right at all
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
If you're tubes are hot and you turn off the amp and work inside and touch the tubes, you will get hurt.
Ben
Quote by muffinman123192
That's not even relevant to what I said! We're talking about amps dipshit.

What you typed was absolutely stupid and thoughtless. One could get electrocuted and die by anything that conducts electricity. Shithead.
No shit sherlock. But why, when you know we're talking about amps, bring up something not even relevant to the conversation?
Ben
Quote by Ngawtfizjuice
What you typed was absolutely stupid and thoughtless. One could get electrocuted and die by anything that conducts electricity. Shithead.

you're acting as if he said that the only thing in the world you can get electrocuted from is a tube amp. god ur retarded. hes saying the most common amp related to electrocution is a tube amp. learn to read.
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
Dont not go inside without knowing what your doing! Amps, especially tube amps, have large capacitors that store electricity via magnetic field, If for some reason there is not a leakage path for these capacitors then they can still hold a lethal charge even when they amp is off. Take very close caution to ensure everything inside the amp and yourself are grounded before working on your amp.
Quote by OLP1
Dont not go inside without knowing what your doing! Amps, especially tube amps, have large capacitors that store electricity via magnetic field, If for some reason there is not a leakage path for these capacitors then they can still hold a lethal charge even when they amp is off. Take very close caution to ensure everything inside the amp and yourself are grounded before working on your amp.

so what should i do like wear rubber gloves??

its really a small thing. do you think that i would be able to get to my input without going near that stuff
Quote by OLP1

Not to mention even when the amp is unplugged, not just off.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
To keep things on subject:

You can get electrocuted if you touch capacitors, which are generally cylindrical looking objects attached to the circuit board of almost everything electronic.

The other thing is you're pretty much opening the power supply as well, which is quite dangerous as electricity (in low voltages) is present.

Static damage can also be created towards the circuit boards if you happen to touch them while trying to get directly to the metal strip, so bare that in mind.

Other than that, the safest bet would to just wear down the strip to push it outwards, rather than inwards, or if you still have a warranty get it sorted out professionally.
Quote by muffinman123192
No shit sherlock. But why, when you know we're talking about amps, bring up something not even relevant to the conversation?

The simple answer to this thread was a "Yes." You didn't need to go into all of that hogwash about tubes and all that other mindless meaningless verbiage. If anything, you went farther over the line than I did.
Quote by OLP1

this is the true one guys. tube amps in general have bigger caps storing electricity. my dad is an electrician with a radio degree thing, and he said it should be okay after like 15 mins of unplugging the amp. but to be on the safe side, if i were u, i'd wait an hour. u don't want to risk ur life do u?
Quote by echofreak
so what should i do like wear rubber gloves??

its really a small thing. do you think that i would be able to get to my input without going near that stuff

that would definitely help. but ur hands aren't the only thing u can get electrocuted from. wear rubber shoes and stuff too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Ngawtfizjuice
The simple answer to this thread was a "Yes." You didn't need to go into all of that hogwash about tubes and all that other mindless meaningless verbiage. If anything, you went farther over the line than I did.

I made a comment justifying the electrical differences between tubes and SS. Then you came in and made you metal shoes and what not post.
Ben
^are those metal shoes "T3H BR00T4LZ" shoes???

or are they those kaching-kaching... shoes?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by muffinman123192
I made a comment justifying the electrical differences between tubes and SS. Then you came in and made you metal shoes and what not post.

The tube and solid state debate elitism was not needed. The question was, could he get electrocuted by his amp. And the answer is YES. Any goddamn thing that is a conductor can electrocute you. And if you couldn't tell, I was making fun of the unnecessary stupidity of your post with mine.
Quote by Ngawtfizjuice

You're telling him he went into meaningless verbiage and hogwash, when you basically spouted off saying something completely useless and random. I've seen 2 threads that you have posted in in the last 10 minutes and you are a completely ignorant ****.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Quote by muffinman123192
So he won't get electrocuted with his SS, right?

There is a chance he will do the caps. EVERYTHING electrical can electrocute you in theory. It basically depends on the voltage in the caps. While I can't imagine it would be an issue with his solid state I would be very careful, as mentioned. On tube amps, its actually its advised you drain the caps. I do not know what kind of voltages caps in SS amps hold, but if they look pretty big I would drain it by putting a croc clip to ground (amp chassis), run a wire from it to another clip, and then put the clip on the cap, preferably with insulated gloves on.
WHERE IS THE ELITISM HERE? I never said tubes were better than SS or anything! What are you talking about elitism?
Ben
Quote by Ngawtfizjuice
The tube and solid state debate elitism was not needed. The question was, could he get electrocuted by his amp. And the answer is YES. Any goddamn thing that is a conductor can electrocute you. And if you couldn't tell, I was making fun of the unnecessary stupidity of your post with mine.

that's true but would any idiot try to mod an amp while it's plugged in and turned on at full volume???
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
okay so if i leave it unplugged for a few days and wear rubber gloves should i be okay?? im not going in there and experimenting messing with capacitors, wires and stuff so..

thanks for all the help too
Quote by V12prowler
You're telling him he went into meaningless verbiage and hogwash, when you basically spouted off saying something completely useless and random. I've seen 2 threads that you have posted in in the last 10 minutes and you are a completely ignorant ****.

You really need to hop off and go get laid. I don't do battle with your kind.
Quote by echofreak
okay so if i leave it unplugged for a few days and wear rubber gloves should i be okay?? im not going in there and experimenting messing with capacitors, wires and stuff so..

Yeah. We just mentioned the caps for the pure reason you could accidently bump them or something.
Quote by echofreak

lol few days would be more than enough. if ur just messing with ur input jack, u should be okay with rubber gloves and like... 30mins of unpluggedness.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yeah, you're just fixing the input jack. But correct me if I'm wrong, even if you do get electrocuted it wouldn't be that harmful (most likely).

I'm not sure about that though.
Ben
Quote by echofreak

thanks for all the help too

I would recommend a static bracelet as well, they help ground you by attaching one clip to part of the metal chassis.
Page 1 of 2