Well I really like accoustic, because I can take it around to school, and play it WHEN EVER like on the couch or what ever without worrying about plugging in, tone, etc.

But I really dont want to spend to much, how much is a DECENT accoustic? not nylon strings or classical guitar though.

Steel strings please
about 300, if its just the acoustic with no pickup system in it.
Quote by NGD1313
I cen lyk spel reel gud. I came n 2nd n da spelling b, sum dumb 4en kid beet meh.
Yeah, a 300 Takamine is decent enough.
Quote by yawn
My work here is done.

Destroying the lives of innocent people, one post at a time.

Member of the 'Muse > any other band' club
Dude seagul makes a kickass sounding guitar in that price range, I forget the model.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Alvarez RD20S- Solid spruce top

$229 new from Musician's Friend.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
Well, its going to sound bad, not be as well constructed and yeah.
Double that price and get a Yamaha FG700S. Cheapest, best beginner guitar. Well constructed, sounds good, plays well.

Now, so you know now and also for any future buys. The most important thing in an acoustic guitar is the soundboard (top). Now for it to sound good it pretty much needs to be solid, not laminate. The most common woods used are Spruce and Cedar. So when you buy a guitar it should, in 99% of cases, have at least a solid top. And on the specs it must say solid, not select or special or anything like that. Unless it says solid (unless of course the guitar is worth 300grand, if it doesnt say solid then, well, its still probably solid) then it's not solid and is laminate. The reason solid tops sound better is because the woods vibrates more freely and gives a warmer, fuller tone, while laminate tops tend to be cold and harsh sounding.

Now under $500 its pretty unlikely that your going to find a guitar with solid backs and sides as well, most are laminates, but thats OK as they dont impact on tone anywhere near as much as the soundboard. You can still get a fantastic guitar without it having solid back and sides. the most common woods used in the back and sides are mahogany and rosewood.

Then theres also the whole thing with construction and build quality, cheaper guitars tend to come out of the factory with really high actions and they will be harder to play, so therefore you wont play as much. They will also probably sound crap. Then theres the issue of badly built guitar are more likely to break earlier in life. So on a cheap guitar, to get it at least to the playability of a decent guitar is going to cost you 50+ dollars. So if you buy a $100 guitar, spend $50 to get it setup niceley so that it plays OK, your nearly at $200 where you can get a Yamaha FG700S or something else from this list:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337075
And the Yamaha is built well, sounds good, and plays fantastically. So I would HIGHLY recommend that you dont completely cheap out, even if you are 14, try to have enough for the Yamaha (Best value guitar in that price range IMO, takamines and Alvarez's are great too, they just cost slightly more) and you will have a guitar that should be good to play now, and will still be good to play later, delaying that "I want/need a new guitar" phase that your sure to go through soon. If you buy a cheap guitar, you will get want to buy something better sooner, costing you mroe in the long run, and not really giving you as much satisfaction.

Also if you buy from a shop rather than the net, you should be able to get the guitar a bit cheaper, or maybe for the same price just with some goodies like strings, picks, gig bag/case tuner etc
I bought a Jasmine by Takamine S34C about 2 months ago and is pretty solid guitar. I mean, for a 99$ guitar, it has a medium action, good intonation, no fret buzz at all and with a deep cutaway in case you like to soloing like i do.
Can tell you about the tone quality because this is my first steel string acoustic guitar, however it seems durable and hold the tuning pretty well.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jasmine-by-Takamine-S34C-NEX-Cutaway-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=516458
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
I agree on the Yamaha, they're cheap, sound good enough, and they're indestructable
Alvarez has some decent cheap starter guitars as well, and on the plus side the things are built like tanks, as least mine is.