So I was listening to Steve Vai the other day (the new hendrix) and I was very impressed with his dive bomb technique. It made me want a floyd rose. I have a les paul special (its a gibson) I want to put a floyd rose on it. I don't have a router though but i figured if i was really careful i could use a chisel. Do you guys thing this a good idea? Any advice would be helpful.
A Floyd Rose on a Les Paul...very interesting. Chiseling a Gibson Les Paul...also very interesting.
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
for the hassle of dismantling a Gibson guitar, i think it would save you hours of blood sweat and tears if you just bought a guitar equipped with a floyd rose. if youre just gonne dink around with it to see if you like them or not, go to a guitar shop and try out a few guitars with them. floyd roses are great if you know how to do all the "tricks" with them, but otherwise theyre just fun to mess around with.

.... and take ages to restring and tune.
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
[quote="'[P|E|R|S|O|N"]']his name IS budgetminded

and btw, Shredder Guitar, it's an epi.

...i was talking to the TS. he says he has a Gibson. maybe read next time? lol
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
Don't do it unless you're famous, and thus bypass the value loss. It will ruin the value of it. Plus you need to be pretty precise with your routing, and don't forget you need to finish the area you routed out. Then you have to add the locking nut, and take wood off the fretboard. Way too much to screw up to be worth it
DON'T YOU DARE TAKE A CHISEL TO SUCH A PIECE OF PURE BEAUTY! DEAR GOD MAN, WHERE IS YOUR SOUL? AAHH! That hurts to think about! If you really must put a Floyd Rose on a Gibson Les Pual, (which you had better not, by the way), then use the proper tools! Invest in a decent router, cause they come in handy all over the place.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Exsuratientoel
Les Paul with a floyd? ESP KH-203.

Easily the most disgusting looking headstock in the history of man.

But at TS, don't do it man. You'll tuin the guitar, you'll cause it irreparable damage, and ieven if you get the FR on there chances are the action and intonation will be **** anyway. Plus, you'd have to rout för the springs in the back of the guitar aswell as on the fretboard for the locking nut. I would also recommend looking into ESP/LTD eclipses if you want an LP with a Floyd, or perhaps check out warmoth.
yeah, i'm normally all for this kind of thing, But it is a Gibson, so i fell inclined to say don't do it.

on the subject of chiselling, I don't see how it could be any less accurate than a router, having said that i've never really done much guitar woodwork, in fact, i've hardly done any customising at all!